SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Need advice with headboard selection-pix included

nanny2a
14 years ago

In an earlier post I mentioned that my current "project" is to sew a duvet, bedskirt and curtains for a guest room in my daughter's new house. She has also asked me to make her an upholstered headboard to complement this bedding ensemble that I'm making. I've posted photos of most of the materials that I'll be using.

The almond color silk on the left of the first photo will be used for the draperies, bedskirt, pillow shams and one side of the duvet cover. The Four Seasons robin's egg blue toile on the right will be used on the other side of the duvet cover, as well as for two smaller decorative pillows, (shown in pic). The cording shown will go around the outer seam of the duvet. I'm also making a long bolster pillow for the bed with the almond color textured fabric shown above the silk.

The walls of the room will be painted an almond/tan color that coordinates with the color of the silk. For you paint color pro's, do you have any specific paint color suggestions? I'm also in the process of tearing down a $35 thrift shop chair I found which I'll probably upholster in the same fabric that I use for the headboard. The chair is shown in the last photo below.

I've posted a link to some upholstered headboard styles, and I'll probably do one with some curves to it similar to the blue one shown in the front of this link. The other furniture in the room will be a walnut stained antique dresser. The bedside tables are still undetermined - so advice on those is welcome, too.

My question is whether y'all think that it would look attractive if I were to use a chocolate brown velvet for the headboard and chair upholstery? If you don't think that would be suitable, what type and color of fabric would you suggest? Do I need to go with something lighter? Is velvet dated? I'm trying to have some contrast with the walls, as well as use a color that would still coordinate well with a possible change in bedding in the future. DD loves brown, so there's no worries about whether she'll approve, I'm asking for your advice because so many of you are so much better at color coordination than I am!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)