SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcbs1620

Need help with dark, dreary north facing family room!

jcbs1620
10 years ago

My husband and I just bought a house and I want to repaint this dark, dreary north facing family room. I'd like this room to be cozy and warm! I prefer warm colors. Not a big fan of gray. I love creamy whites and buttery yellows. Typically my rooms have been painted creamy white with white trim although my past homes have been flooded with glorious natural light. I'm not sure what to do with this very dark room. I'd be up for painting the room a mid tone (as I've read should be done in dark, north facing rooms to embrace the deep dark shadows) but since I'm not accustomed to those colors I have no idea where to even start. I think I like the idea of a stronger yellow (BM Hawthorne Yellow)? The floors are coppery/brown tile. There is stained wooden trim (gunstock maybe, house was built in the late '80's). The room has very little lighting. The furniture and chandelier belong to the previous owners so the room is empty now. Any ideas? I am up for any of your suggestions!

Eventually I would love to replace the flooring with wide plank heart of pine floors, add a creamy white wooden ceiling with beams, and paint the fireplace a creamy white. Also would love to beef up the mantle a bit.

Thank you!!

Comments (15)