SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madtown_2006_gw

Flooring/trim help needed...before this lady goes crazy!

madtown_2006_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone! I am an infrequent poster but over the years I have found you all so helpful, and I'm hoping that is the case again!

We recently moved into a mid-70's tri-level home. This will be our "forever home" (yay!) The upstairs (4 bedrooms and a hallway, all carpet) are in desperate need of new flooring but I can't seem to make a decision because it feels like every decision hinges on five OTHER decisions! I'm getting frustrated :-) So here are some of the factors weighing on our choices:

-Our first instinct is to replace the carpet with wood, since that is a look we generally prefer, and it's what we were used to in our old home. However, we now have two small children so there is certainly an appeal to carpet. Even if we were to go with carpet, I think we would eventually want to replace with wood, perhaps once the kids are older. Knowing this (that we would most likely eventually want wood) we wonder if it would be silly, and expensive, to put in new carpet, just to rip it up again in 10-15 years.

-The LR and DR, which are on the main level, have medium/dark oak wood floors. Even though the upstairs is not adjacent to these wood floors, I think that the wood should match as best as possible, just to keep the look throughtout the house cohesive.

-The trim, doors, and windows are all stained wood (Same color as the floors in the LR/DR). Again, not really our taste but it's okay, and in decent shape. The thought of painting all the trim and doors seems daunting as this house is 2400 square feet....but its do-able. Painting the huge casement windows is really NOT something I want to do. There are lots of little crevices and pieces of molding and it just looks like a gigantic pain in the ass, to be perfectly honest.

So I we had sort of made a decision to go with wood, and we picked out a nice dark-ish color that we felt matched the LR/DR floors pretty closely, but not exact. As for the trim, we decided to get the floors installed and paint the walls (walls in every room are white right now) and THEN revisit the trim. Maybe the new floors and some color on the walls will enhance the trim, and we'll end up liking it.

However.....now I'm having second thoughts. I'm worried that the floors are too dark, and that with painted walls, dark trim, dark doors, etc, the house will just feel, well, DARK. Now I'm wondering if I should choose a lighter wood color. But then it won't match the exisitng floors. So then should I just paint the trim/doors, because I think darker floors look fine on blogs/magazines, but most people have white trim and doors. But what about those dang windows? Would it look terrible to have painted trim/doors but stained windows? Since they are casements with no room for an inside mount treatment, the windows will be pretty much entirely covered by outside mount cellular shades and curtain panels. So maybe no one will even notice the difference between the windows and trim?? Or we could just do carpet. Ahhhhh you see where this is going?? Can't.make.a.decision.

If you've made it this far you earn a prize. Thoughts, ideas, motivational speeches, etc are all welcome and appreciated. Thank you :-)

Comments (14)