SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelheaven

Crazy Cat Ladies Decorate Too !

squirrelheaven
16 years ago

So how does a crazy cat lady decorate? What type of bed cover do I need? I guess I look for one that can be washed!

Here is a link that might be useful: And what the hey is this all about ?!

Comments (66)

• susanka
    16 years ago

Oh wow I just realized the beautiful copper-colored coverlet I bought for our MB is not going to work when we get a kitty! Our lovely cat died after 17 years with us and we decided not to look for another one or two until we had our house built.

OT, but does anyone know where to find Maine Coon kittens that don't cost $800 per? Our cat was mostly Maine Coon, and we'd love to have a pair of kittens with personalities similar to his.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

One of my cats is Maine Coon dominant. She's a big one. They do have great personalities. I call her my kangaroo. She is on her hind legs so much. I got her via a friend.

Maybe try one of those cat rescues or may be a maine coon rescue. Check google.

• Related Discussions

Painted lady and West Coast lady cats

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree the best bet would be to grow, grow, and grow milkweed like crazy to be prepared for next year's influx of monarchs. I also have had very poor luck in finding any significant amount in nursery's and it is defiantly late in the season for them to be stocking any. I have heard it takes about 10 plants to attract them into your yard. Although I gave my mom two and she got them the first year I gave them to her. It took me 2 1/2 years of growing them in my yard to get any Monarchs in to my yard. Granted, as I have talked to others near my neighborhood, they had faster luck than I did! It is the right season here in North San Diego county for monarchs. I have many eggs and for the FIRST time I saw mid-air copulation taking place in my garden today! I now commonly have monarch cats as late as Thanksgiving. And actually I was surprised to have them as early as August this year.
    ...See More

Update #6: Crazy Cat Lady

Q

Comments (20)
    I love you too. When we lived in Ohio we named our property "Woof and Purr Acres". Maybe that name had something to do with it, but we always had a lot of stray cats find their way to our house, some very wild. The humane society helped me with catch them alive traps, got them neutered/spayed, then returned them to me and helped with the food. I raised the kittens those cats had prior to spaying (we kept 5 of them...all males) then the other 12 after I had them tamed and very loving, we took to the humane society lady. However, one didn't want to stay with her...kept coming back out of the cage to us. Hubby gave in and back home with us it came. LOL Had we stayed in Ohio the lady wanted me to take in all little kittens that needed tamed. She said she never saw such well adjusted, loving kittens. I would have loved doing that, but wanted out of Ohio to Georgia more. We brought 9 cats with us when we moved and are now down to 3. Sadly I think one won't be with us much longer. Like us they are getting old. Every cat and dog we have ever had, we've always had spayed or neutered. I am a firm believer in that.
    ...See More

Crazy cat lady

Q

Comments (8)
    Martha - I only have dill and rue. I have a ton of dill that reseeded from last year, but I only have 1 rue plant. I also have 1 carrot, that grew as a volunteer out of nowhere, but it's in a pot so it'll be easy to give to someone. But it's only 1 so that can probably only feed one caterpillar, if that! KC - Thanks for letting me know you had luck with HD and Lowes. I know that Bonnie is the supplier for Lowes in our area so that's great news! Nora - Hope you get some butterflies soon! Last year, I didn't get any. I was so bummed, I even ended up raising a few cabbage whites because I wanted *something* in the butterfly cage. But this year has been great, so I hope you'll see them soon.
    ...See More

Want to create a screen, but nothing too crazy

Q

Comments (23)
    Erin I will say I got rid of my maple and planted a crab apple....so far my plants seem to be thriving but I'm not sure if that's due to the maple being gone, or all the rain we've got here this season...regardless I'm happy it's gone. I hated that tree because it aside of having a mature tree where everything else are babies it did nothing for me. No esthetics, no real shade, nothing. The leaves were purple but always looked brown to me...and then they'd just turn really brown and die in the fall...so no pretty fall foliage either like you can get w some maples. So yeah I'm not much help, but I will say just be careful with what you decide to plant near it.
    ...See More
  • susanka
    16 years ago

Thanks, jerseygirl. I tried all that, can find adult cats but not any kittens yet. I'd really like to have kittens if I can find one. On the other hand, there are all those poor little guys at the shelters.... We'll see what happens come spring, I guess.

• natal
    16 years ago

Susan, have you checked the Maine Coon Breeders Association? When we were looking we visited cat shows to meet breeders. Then we visited a couple in their homes to see exactly how the cats were cared for.

Here is a link that might be useful: MCBFA

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The rescues usually have kittens too. There are a number of MC rescue sites as you've discovered -- ughh, so many adults need homes too :( Linked over and ended up lookin' at these two sweet boys :) It is such a gift to keep a couple of siblings or best friends together -- and loads of fun!

See how cute the rescues are!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rescue kittens

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

susanka, I lost my beloved 16-year-old mostly Maine Coon in September as well. They are wonderful cats! He was orange, and one of his vets remarked once that she wanted one just like him because orange Maine coons were the best kind. What color has to do with anything, I don't know, but that's what she said!

• sduck2
    16 years ago

petfinder.com

you can specify age and breed. There are a lot of no-kill shelters that are trying to place lots of cats and kittens (dogs, birds and even farm animals). Once you find a shelter, you should go and just check out the personalities first.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here kitty, kitty:

Here is a link that might be useful: MC kitten

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just plunked in CA in Petfinder and got quite a few kittens:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of babies out there!

• susanka
    16 years ago

Many thanks to everyone! I thought I had done adequate research, but clearly I hadn't. Now I'm sure we'll find a pair next spring. Thank you so much for your generous responses. So sad to see all those rescue babies.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay for them! A pair! It's so much fun and they are adorable together!

• susanka
    16 years ago

Yes, I feel like kitties are generally happier as a pair. Our Maine Coon had a partner (they were Frankie and Johnnie), but we lived in the country at the time and Frankie didn't make it past age 2 so Johnnie had to put up with only DH and me for company for his last 15 years.

I've really hijacked this thread -- I better get out of here before someone calls me on it!

Thanks again, squirrelheaven and all.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No hijack. I started the thread anyway :)

I'm sure Johnnie suffered so :) So sad for his brother though :(

• luckygal
    16 years ago

Since I am "owned" by 3 indoor cats and one feral outside cat that we feed, I guess I could be called a "crazy cat lady" also. However I prefer to be a "cat lover", altho also love dogs and have lived with many of both species over the years.

For those who are having bedding shredded by cat claws I highly recommend learning how to clip them and do it on a regular schedule. I do ours at least every 10 days to 2 weeks. The cats have learned it doesn't hurt and they get a treat immediately after. Even our previously abused cat does not mind at all, in fact she seems to enjoy it. At first you may have to "bunny" them in a towel or have another person help to hold them. I've always "baby-talked" at them while doing it and they no long put up a fuss at all. Make sure you have a good quality guillotine clipper. It is very quick and easy to use. Also have some quick-stop handy in case you clip too far back and they bleed. At first you can clip only a little so that won't happen as it does hurt them. They will get over it quickly tho if it happens.

My decorating is geared toward what works with cats. Only microfiber or tightly woven upholstery and all washable bedding for us.

One of our 3 babies is a Maine Coon who adopted us - he's very different from the others but has lots of personality.

My house does not smell of cats as we have 3 litter boxes and they are cleaned daily or more. I do not understand how people can stand having their homes smell of cat urine. It is too gross. I believe it is a sign of unhappy cats when they mark furniture.

• susanka
    16 years ago

squirrelheaven, Frankie was a girl. (Remember the old song, "Frankie and Johnnie were lovers"?) Of course our Frankie and Johnnie were neutered before they got the chance, though.

luckygal, thanks for the clipping hint. Johnnie was inside-outside so his nails weren't that long.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm going to try the clipping again.

btw, I was placing an unwanted dog years ago (picked up from the middle of the road after being hit-and-run twice in a row). Anyway, we were contacted by an interested family and they had eight dogs! (lived on a farm). Well, I had been hoping to find a home where he'd be the center of attention and was afraid he'd get lost in the shuffle, which the guy picked up on when he called, as I was taken aback a bit that he already had eight dogs! He said something to me about how he was aware that people thought those with lots of dogs were crazy! Well, I didn't know anything about that part, just wanted the little guy spoiled, with his new family wrapped around his little toes :)

So, apparently, dog owners do get the rap too :) (The little guy did go to live with them and it was a gorgeous farm with lots of well-cared-for and meticulously coifed and beautiful, well-behaved brothers and sisters :)

• brutuses
    16 years ago

luckygal, you're not far off on your assertion that marking is a sign of an unhappy cat. Unfortunately, some cats get unhappy at just the sign of another cat, a new piece of furniture, a new human coming to the house, and a number of other things. Cats are very sensitive to change and hate it, for the most part.

The other night 2 of the yard cats kept pestering me to come in for a visit. Well, big mistake. That night my resident nut job (Bashful), decided he hated those cats inside so he marked a couple of spots in the house. I had to get the yard cats out to calm him down.

I'm with you on that "how can people stand the smell?" When I walk in my house I can tell if someone "missed" a box and then I'm on a feverish hunt till I find the culprit spot. Ever since my DH and stopped smoking 18 years ago, we have noses like bloodhounds. I always laugh when someone comes to my house for the first time and they say "wow, you wouldn't know you have cats, your house is so clean and there is no smell." I think people who have stinky houses who have cats had stinky houses before the cats. You can be clean and have pets. It's a lot more work, but it's absolutely possible.

Just as Ceasar Milan talks about unstable dogs, there are also unstable cats. Their perfect world is not to have another cat within 1000 feet of them!!

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sometimes it's a litterbox problem too. Scented litter is often the culprit. They don't like fragrance. Unhappy about that, I guess, but very temporary and fixable if one is aware and makes the change to unscented. My vet warns about fragrances due to allergic reactions (which my two boys have ... welts and open irritations on their faces and ears). And, of course, they also just don't like dirty boxes -- esp in a multi-cat household, I think.

Cats will also have problems when they don't feel well, and often they're just trying to tell you by going outside the box. Or because they just constantly have to urinate. They should be checked for cystitis and crystal problems. Sometimes soft stools too, as with one of mine. I don't know why he does it, but he'll sometimes poop next to the box when his ibd/food allergies seem to be bothering him. Otherwise, he is excellent with his habits (and darn proud of it! :)

I sit for a cat that was wetting, so I switched out the box. Now, with a super large (so usually pretty clean) one that's open, fragrance-free, and doesn't have a lid, she seems to be fine. The thing is like a big sandbox! (from PetSmart). Dad doesn't tend to the thing often enough :) She's a very good girl!

But then there are the territorial ones! My mother had a cat that would mark around the windows and doors due to a prowling feline outside. I've heard those stories a number of times. Not sure there's much you can do about outdoor cats coming around, though.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Squirrel, not only do the cats hate the frarance, so do I. It smothers me so I can imagine what it would do to their nose especially in a covered box. We've switched all our boxes over to the feline pine regular. It's natural fragrance, no tracking and so much cleaner, and no dust. It took the cats a little while to switch from the clumping to this, but now they all like it.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just went through a bag of that I had around when trying a few other types (afraid of what makes litter clump!) My fussy cat (who is a very good boy) didn't seem to like it so I've switched back to clumping. I think it was probably the pine smell for him. He has terrible allergies too, to everything, be it foods or fragrances.

I don't like the fragrance either ... and the combination of odors, ewww. I'd rather just smell one or the other!

I like the fresh pine smell and was thinking I'd just add a little bit in there. I use A&H with baking soda, which isn't too bad except for the dust and tracking of course.

Can you believe I have five cats and one box! It's the big sandbox, but I have no good places to put these things. It affects my allergies at night when it's in the hall. I'm really pushing my luck now that I've adopted these two other huge kitties. They are angels.

Feel like I'm runnin' a barn with the amount of litter they go through, lol. I was figuring I must spend something like $60 a month on litter -- and that's on a good sale!

• snookums
    16 years ago

Now I know that when I wake up in the middle of the night with my cat staring at me, he's probably contemplating how to gobble me up.

lol

• User
    16 years ago

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
    They have never forgotten this.

A great sign seen in a Lake George gift shop.

• chelone
    16 years ago

This is a 4 cat household (used to be 5). One cat box. Our cats go outdoors during the day, so the box is not a big draw in nice weather. But at this time of year its appeal increases greatly. Consequently, your's truly "mines" it 3 times/day (morning, after work, bedtime). I clean the whole thing once a week. I hate the scented litters, too... and their box doesn't have a cover on it. I wouldn't be thrilled to trade our commodious bathroom for a chemical porta-potty, either! Icky. We have sensitive noses, too.

So here's what I don't "get" about the whole toxo. thing: don't people WASH THEIR HANDS after cleaning the catbox? I know I do! (up over the wrists with soap, warm water, and for the duration of at least one round of "Happy Birthday").

We have just added some of those fabric covered "loungers" and the cats LOVE them. We also have a variety of sweatshirts formed into "nests" on their favorite sleeping areas. I toss them into the laundry once a week. I dry clean virtually nothing; too expensive and too hard on the environment.

They have a scratching post next to the door that they use to go outdoors. They use it regularly. I have noticed an increase in "inappropriate" scratching, but that's part and parcel of more time indoors and can be overcome with some new "scratching" toys. I take responsibility for that.

We talk to them all day long, too. And they talk back! Have you guys ever calculated how many times a day you either touch your cats or pick them up? I don't think we ever walk by one without touching it!

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I have 2 cats.

It wasn't until I moved in my present home that I had the room for a 2nd liter box ( I now have a basement). I use scoop away multiple cat and have been using it for the past 8 yrs without any incident of a miss. Both cats are very good with making it to the litter box and love a clean box. My cats are indoor cats. I do let them out ocassionally but watch them closely. They were leash trained as kittens.

My cats always talk to me. One of them actually leads me to where they want me to be. Usually to the closet where the treats are. One wakes me in the middle of the night to let me know he did a hairball or whatever. Then he rubs against me to thank me. He definitely knows what my job is(LOL).

They are usually where I am all the time.

• Susan
    16 years ago

i made the leap this winter and am now an official ccl. in september i had one older indoor cat(thomas) and two barn kitties who were abandoned at my farm,so only one litter box. then in october my mom passed away and i took in her older kitty. meanwhile,,my best friend was making plans to sell her place and take a job on the road for a year. of course i'll care for her two cats while she's gone.
    then one day romeo (the diebetic barn cat) decides that he's moving into the house,,he's been a barn cat long enough.
    so,in my little cottage i've got my thomas,romeo,my mom's cat and now my friend's two! yikes,,i've got five inside the house! plus the remainng barn kitty has been joined by a little feral male who needs calories and neutering as soon as i can trap him.but at least they're happy in the barn.
    in the house i've now got four boxes of various sizes in different places in the basement for the inside cats. they get cleaned every day so the odor is minimal.. and i find that they choose their favorite box so this is working alright. what really smells is the canned mackeral i'm feeding them all!
    my next decorating project will be providing carpeted/sisal scratching/sleeping posts so they each have a space to call their own.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Four INDOOR cats here too! Never planned things out that way BUT we figure that the squirrels are making maps to our front door. LOL! A couple of the present souls found us!

One litter box -- now located in the un-used bathtub in our master bath. Now -- before anyone has a fit -- this has turned out to be the best place in our small house! The tub is un-insulated (blasted building codes in Texas) and WAY too cold to use on any regular basis. And it happens to be located behind the opened door of the master bathroom so that the litter box can't even be seen sitting in there.

Also -- and this is BIG plus -- we can't ignore the litter box! LOL! And the scattered litter tends to stay in the tub -- which can easily be scrubbed out.

As for types of litter -- well -- it is usually the massive Crate-of-The Cheapest at Costco .....the DH threatens to use a forklift the next time he goes there to buy litter .....

BTW -- our Eldest cat (about 17 years) is a Maine Coon -- and we would recommend that type of cat for anyone. VEry loving and affectionate!

Jan -- yet another member of Garden Web Crazy Cat Lady Club .....

• bungalow_house
    16 years ago

teacats, we used to keep the litter box in a never-used shower. It was perfect for the reasons you mentioned! (I did duct-taped up the drain cover so no litter would get down in there.)

LOL about the forklift.

• Susan
    16 years ago

has anyone seen the outdoor litter boxes?? what a brilliant idea!! the cats access the litter box through a pet door and on the outdoors part of the box has a top or side you can remove to clean the box easily. the box itself sits on a platform.

• littledog
    16 years ago

Interesting theory about a parasite that must be eaten to continue it's life cycle. Iknow that in large animals toxo causes abortions, which would leave a tender little infected fetus lying around waiting for a cat to eat. Aside from being over run with kittens, toxo is the main reason why, if you raise any kind of livestock, you should have all your barn cats spayed and neutered, and keep them away from any grain or pelleted feed.

Anyway, maybe someone here can tell me why my husband's cat wants to sleep *on* me. She is DH's only pet, so I tolerate her living in the house. I'm alergic, and if I get scratched, can get a nasty case of hives, so I don't touch her unless I absolutely have to, and then it's usually with gloves. She's often messing with my houseplants and art supplies and is more likely to get chased out of forbidden rooms and away from stuff. I'm not openly hostile to her, but I am not the least bit affectionate with her either. Hubby takes care of the litter box and feeding her, I'm the one who gets to administer meds and nasty tasting wormers and anything else unpleasent. Afterwards, she'll crouch across the room, giving me looks to kill, but as soon as I hit the bed, she is like a needy toddler who just had a bad dream, and will spend all night delicately climbing up repeatedly, determined to sleep on my chest.

Heh, maybe snookums has the right idea?

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Squirrel
    here is a link to Soft Paws..check it out. We use to have a beautiful persian..loved her! A few years after she passed, we wanted to get another, then we learned our daughter is very allergic to cats.. sad because we love them! Oh how I miss little claw marks (smile) Ree

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft Paws

• dainaadele
    16 years ago

Oka, I just read through this thread and thought I post throw this up for the cat lovers:
    Poetry

I Am The Cat
    by DRAGONGYRL@aol.com

In Egypt they worshipped me....
    I am the Cat.
    Because I bend not to the will of Man
    they call me a mystery.
    When I catch and play with a mouse,
    they call me cruel.
    Yet they take animals to keep
    In parks and zoos, that they may gape at them.
    Nay, more, they persecute their own human creatures;
    They shoot, they hang, they torture them,
    Yet dare to call me cruel.
    Could they but see themselves
    As I, the Cat, see them,
    Bereft of all freedom,
    Who follow in the ruts others made
    Long Ages gone!
    Who have rings in their noses,
    Yet know it not.
    They hate me, the Cat.
    Because, forsooth, I do not love them.
    Do they love me?
    They think all animals are made for their pleasure,
    To be their slaves.
    And, while I kill only for my own needs,
    They kill for pleasure, power and gold,
    And then pretend to a superiority!
    Why should I love them?
    I, the Cat, whose ancestors
    Proudly trod the jungle,
    Not one ever tamed by man.
    Ah, do they know
    That the same immortal hand
    That gave them breath, gave breath to me?
    But I alone am free--
    I am the Cat.

I don't know the author, I don't think it can be the email adressed person as I remember this from my childhood in a poetry book.

As far as decorating goes: One of my big incentives to make mostly wood clad living room furniture is because of my darling spoiled babies. Both long hairs, one has got to be Maine Coon at 18 lbs, huge paws and tail.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Snookums is not far from the truth. The cat knows you don't like her and sleeping on your chest is her way of being superior to you, which of course she is and you just don't know it. LOL Lighten up, she's just a poor animal. If you start acting nicer to her, she wouldn't go out of her way to make you crazy. Cats are very smart and people who don't like them, need to realize it.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Can't relate, can't relate :) You're soft and warm -- you'da momma cat! (and maybe dh smokes or something and you smell better ? :)

Our neighbors had a dog they didn't care for well, always outside in the cold, just to bark. So we started bringing him in during the winter and we'd all sit around the fp :) My dad, of course, was -- no, no we are not getting a dog! So, the dog knew who he had to work on :) He'd always sit at my father's feet. So, eventually dad fell in love with him too :)

Cats love to snuggle close and keep warm and they always know the best place for it!

• chelone
    16 years ago

Wow, I actually LIKE having a cat sprawl on top of me! they lie on their sides, purr, and knead the air and then drop off to contented sleep,while I read or fall asleep, too.
    When I roll onto my side they simply rearrange themselves and take up a contented curl next to me.

It's sort of like sleeping with a water balloon that never bursts or gets cold... I really like it.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me too. I call it Mommy Heaven :)

• littledog
    16 years ago

I must have given you the wrong idea; I don't "act" in any particular fashion toward the cat, and I'm certainly not mean to it. I get stuck doing the unpleasent things to all the animals around here because I'm better at it. I just wrap the cat in a thick towel, then feed it the pill, or treat the ears, or vaccinate, or whatever. I can even bathe her without getting scratched; the secret is having a piece of hardware cloth cut to size and bent over the edge of the tub for the cat to hang on to and using a hand held shower attachement. As far as running her out of forbidden rooms, the dogs would get the same treatment, it's just they learned faster to stay out of areas where they weren't allowed.

I do have to wear gloves if I have to handle her, because like I said, I am *allergic* to cats, (watery eyes, sneezing, in some cases shortness of breath and hives), and I will not become a Benadryl addict over an animal. A couple of pin pricks from a wayward claw can result in my entire hand puffing up like a toad.

Anyway, I'm not affectionate to her because I don't want to encourage her to "hang out". I don't feed her because I'm trying to keep our "relationship" neutral. That's why her sleeping on me (my chest, my neck, or at the top of my head) is odd. The purring is nice, but in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I'll be able to breathe in the morning if I let her stay. So all night, I push her off, and she comes back. I don't not like the cat. She's rather pretty and yes, I talk to her. (But I also talk to my chickens, so there ya go) I'm the only person in the family she walks with meowing to which is cute, but frankly, I'd prefer to keep things on a cordial greeting basis only. ;^)

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Can I play? I have cats too... well, they don't purr much! Used to have cats though. Does that count? And my DH thinks I'm crazy!! Sue

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Another GWCCL with four (was five) indoor cats. I have one trying to get between the laptop and myself...and DH is napping on the other end of the sofa with our old man in his lap. :D At least two are in the bed with us and after DH gets up, I usually end up with three and the dog.

He keeps trying to get me to promise "no replacing cats when they pass" but so far I haven't uttered the dreaded words! I can't imagine having less than two!

We have one litter box on the main level and another one on the lower level (not used very often since they hang out up here with me). Anytime I hear one scratching away, I go clean out. That's the second thing I do in the morning and the last thing at night. People are shocked we have so many cats and no cat smell - now cat HAIR is another story!

I purchased a Furminator a few months ago - great tool! I also vacuum at least twice a week. :( Sticky rollers in the
    MB closet, kitchen drawer and car.

Cute puppies, Cooperbailey. (We also have three dogs, only one inside.)

• snookums
    16 years ago

For the same reason my cat likes to calmly lounge on top of the dog crate, while the dog inside is going crazy. And he just looks at me with a "what??"

They know exactly what they are doing.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• littledog
    16 years ago

"They know exactly what they are doing."

Tormenting a dog, sure, but I doubt this cat is thinking to herself "if I curl up around her head, maybe she'll DIE..." (at least I hope that's not what she's thinking) LOL

Since we've had a break in the weather and I've been able to have the doors open all day, the house is "aired out" somewhat and I'm sounding less hoarse. I've been giving it some thought and tonight, I'm going to try a spray bottle and see if that isn't more discouraging than a push. But once it gets cold again, if I can't get her to stop she'll end up spending her nights locked in the bathroom with her litter box and a bowl of kitty chow. :^/

• littledog
    16 years ago

Ah ha! It works! Took about a dozen well aimed sprays, but she finally gave up and ended up sleeping in the living room on the couch. She was ready to follow along and chat with me this morning as I made coffee, so it would seem she hasn't suffered any permanent damage to her delicate Kitty Psyche. :^)

• susanka
    16 years ago

littledog, I love it -- Dogs have owners, cats have staff! That was certainly true of my Siamese. My Maine Coon, though, had more of an audience than a staff. He was a clown as long as he could be.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I didn't say she was thinking out a plan. LOL Cats just know who doesn't like them and manage to aggravate those people. Cats are wonderful as seen in her beautiful photo. Water is definitely a better deterent than just shoving or yelling at a cat. That never works. LOL

I believe she thinks what you do to her is a game and it appears she's enjoying it. I guess she figures any attention paid to her is better than no attention at all.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My heart is just breaking over here :(( Do wish I had room for another, as I would take her off your hands! She loves you.

The only time a couple of my guys try to 'get' to me is when they're really hungry and know it'll bee-line them straight to the top of Mom's attention when they do something they know is a no-no.

Try rubbing her down with a warm, damp towel daily to remove some of the allergens on her coat. Its actually supposed to be the saliva that gets on their coat rather than the actual dander and hair.

Allegra seems to work pretty well on my cat allergies, better than the Claritin which I take now. Vitamin C makes a noticeable difference with me, also. There's also that saline spray for your nose to rinse anything out. One of the Febreze products has an allergen reducer also. I believe there's also products at Allergy Control Products for that sort of thing, detergents, carpet stuff.

You might try feeding her well before bedtime, too. And get her a cushy curl-up bed. You could even keep it at the end of your bed or near the heating vent (which they love!). I didn't see one of my cats for a month after doing that for her :(

• susanka
    16 years ago

littledog, this site I list below has great hints for the kinds of beds cats like, depending on their age and behavior. Maybe you can match your kitty up with one of these beds, and then neither you nor she will have to go through the awful water-in-the-face routine. Our old cat liked the heated version. Would send it to you, but I already gave it away.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1241

Squirrelheaven, I have a bookcase problem that morphed into a much bigger LR-window problem after we got talking about it on a thread. If you have time could you look at my "ideas on how to arrange this bookcase, please?" thread on this forum? (If you have time, and haven't already seen it and thought it impossibly complicated.)

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lol Susan. Those things do morph. I remember your thread title but hadn't looked inside yet, lol.

Love that heated bed thing! I bought a heated mattress pad last year (since we all want the heating pad and two didn't work either :) These cats are in heaven -- as is the Mommy Cat. I can't even believe that warm soft bed when I crawl into it ... and never want to leave :)

The bed thing might just be the solution for LittleDog and her kitty.

• littledog
    16 years ago

Squirrel and Susanka, you are both so nice. The cat is my husband's and he loves her dearly, so she won't be going anywhere. Last night, she tried to sneak intpo bed and got a squirt. Much later, I guess after she thought I was asleep, I could feel her creeping across the covers toward me. I was too tired (too lazy) to reach for the bottle and just lifted my arm in her general direction and made the "psssst" sound, and she hopped off pronto. There's a comfy feather pillow on the couch, and that's her new favorite spot.

This morning, we were back on speaking terms as I got up to make coffee, so it looks like this will work out. (but keeping the spray bottle by the bed just in case...)

• susanka
    16 years ago

Good luck to both of you! The feather pillow sounds cozy.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

littledog, your kitty cat is adorable and I hope the squirter works. I miss having a kitty cat.

• squirrelheaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So glad to hear ... I was hoping dh loves her a lot! She looks like a very sweet little girl. They are persistent!