SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Update #6: Crazy Cat Lady

marilyn_c
11 years ago

Putting this one up early. I put a lot of pics in it and want to see if the post will handle them all.

Crazy Cat Lady

I got a phone call one day, and this lady said, "I heard you are an expert on feral cats." I said, "No I'm not. I rehab possums and I have some cats, and I am an expert on waterlilies (if anything) but not on feral cats."

Then she told me about a fancy, gated townhome complex in Houston. It was next to a park and people had abandoned cats at the park. The cats were coming over to the townhomes. Some ladies had trapped the cats and had them spayed/neutered, but they didn't want to release the cats back in the park because they would just come back to the townhomes. Was there any way that I could take them?

Oh, Lord. (My first thought was "how did you get my phone number???") I thought about it and told her okay. The next day I went to Houston and brought back several cats. A week or so later, another lady called me who lived in the town homes and she asked me if I would take 3 cats if she had them spayed. And then another lady called who wanted me to take a cat.

So the city kitties became country cats. Only one has tamed down enough that I can pet him...most of them have tamed a little...they no longer run when they see me and will let me get close enough to feed them.

One of the shelters that I work with (picking up possums and wildlife) asked me to take some cats that were unadoptable for various reasons. Pluto had been adopted but was brought back because the lady who adopted him said he attacked her in her sleep. Noooo way that cat attacked anyone. I think she changed her mind and made up an excuse, but because that was her excuse, he stood to be put down, "for fear he would attack someone else."

They gave me Stars and Stripes....they had been there since they were small kittens...brothers...no one had adopted them.

They gave me one called Gray Tux. His problem was he was a tomcat and he constantly sprayed everything. They had him neutered for me....he no longer sprays.

The last two they gave me are named Lovey and Faith. They are about as homely as cats can be....not a good attribute at the shelter when most people make selections based on color. They had also spent their lives in a cage at the shelter. They are tabbies but over laid torties. I tell them every day that they are lucky to be here...more obnoxious cats would be hard to find.

They are "mouthy" and demanding. They are thin as rails and have voices that are like scratching a black board. They are identical...well, one may be a little bit larger than the other, but I don't know who is Lovey and who is Faith. Doesn't matter.

Then a lady was tearing down an abandoned house in Galveston, where several ferals lived. She offered to have them neutered if someone would take them. Who in their right mind will take wild cats?? Oh...yeah....that crazy lady who lives on Chocolate Bayou. There were four of those but two of them ended up going to a neighbor because she saw them, and she wanted to keep them, so I got City Kitty and Notch-o.

The cats are all outside cats. A couple of my cats sleep inside sometimes. I live a long ways off the main road and I have no near neighbors. The cats have all been fixed...just about all they do is eat and sleep. Some of the cats were my own rescues:

Bindi...came from the shelter as a tiny kitten, and I raised her on a bottle.

Mancow...mother was a wild cat and moved the kittens and left him behind. He had infected eyes...also raised on bottle. He is named after a radio personality.

Cloud was found on a busy feeder street by a mall at Christmas time. He was wearing a collar with his name on it, but no phone number. Tried and was unable to locate his owner. If you are going to put a collar on a cat...put your phone number on it.

Cloud on the left and the other cat is Budha...came here as a kitten because his owner was going to dump him out.

Cleo is a beautiful brown tabby with white feet that was abandoned at the apartment where my daughter lived...she brought her to me. Cleo was pregnant...of course.

This is "Grandma"...one of my favorite ferals from the townhouse place in Houston. I thought he was a female and I named him Grandma...but he is a male...but I still call him Grandma.

There are many, many more...but here is a group pic of some of them.

See that pretty tabby and white in front? That is Gabby. (Named by the woman who had her spayed...from the park in Houston).

Gabby had the mange. Came down with it right after she came here. And she was as wild as a March hare. That is the problem with feral cats. If something goes wrong, you have a devil of a time trying to doctor them. I was able to trap her one time, and I treated her with a concoction that I read about on the internet. It was horse wormer (Ivermectrin) mixed with glycerin, and mixed in her food. I couldn't take her to the vet because she was impossible to handle and once I let her go, I was never able to catch her again. (I trapped her and fed her the "treatment". The one treatment took care of it, and that is her picture made

after she got well.) This is what she looked like when she had the mange. She is another one of my favorite cats.

It's funny...the cats know their names...or, most do. They will come up within reach but I never try to pet them, because they don't want it. Or at least, they think they don't want it. The couple of ferals that have become tame are always underfoot wanting to be petted now.

So if anyone qualifies as a crazy cat lady...I am sure I do. I do wish that people would be responsible pet owners. It is nice that these cats were neutered before brought to me, but if people would take care of that on their own, there wouldn't be so many homeless pets.

Comments (20)