SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Inheriting furniture and evolving esthetics

palimpsest
11 years ago

My father may put my parents' house on the market and there are a lot of contents. There will probably be some sort of auction and a "free if you take it" type of yard sale, and all of the artwork or decorative pieces will pretty much be taken by various members of the family (those that don't go along with my father).

However, we started talking about the furniture and it is surprising how little will be left to go to an auction. None of us have quite the same aesthetic, and although a few pieces were always destined to be taken by someone, I am surprised at some of what has been spoken for, and what really hasn't.

Spoken for in its entirety, even thought it is a gateleg table:

{{gwi:1850160}}

Not spoken for, although my father really wants to know what is going to happen to this:

{{gwi:1850161}}

Spoken for, and I am surprised, although it may be because Curtis Jere is currently collectable

{{gwi:1850162}}

Spoken for (very surprising to me)

{{gwi:1627572}}

Spoken for (also surprising although I like this furniture, it's Louis XVI. Someone on here said they would rather sleep on a mattress on the floor than in a room with this furniture :) )

{{gwi:1850164}}

Nobody is interested in this, although it seems to fare well on eBay: (even that chair pad is 40 years old)

{{gwi:1850165}}

Spoken for, although this was reupholstered in low point for horsehair fabric and tassels, which covered it originally

{{gwi:1850166}}

Spoken for (me), it's Centennial, I think --it will have to fit in my modernist house somewhere.

{{gwi:1850167}}alt="Photobucket">

Spoken for

{{gwi:1850168}}

Spoken for (me), although I have nothing else that is this formal. They are a pair, although the peach one has a down cushion since it was in a formal room and the other doesn't. Very comfortable and extremely heavy

{{gwi:1850169}}{{gwi:1850170}}

Iffy:

{{gwi:1850171}}

Also not spoken for: a number of formal Baker tables, a large Chinese Chippendale bureau desk, two expanding dinner tables, two sofas, several coffee tables, a bunch of upholstered stools, and some floor lamp table combos.

I am most surprised that the relatively inexpensive bedroom sets were spoken for.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County