SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanaroma

The Return of That 70's House - WSJ article

LanaRoma
11 years ago

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile. Tonight I finally signed up. So many interesting posts and opinions here.

If you live in a 70's home, have you ever thought of following your house's period in your decor?

In my town I see lots of old bungalows refurbished in the period style. Same goes for mid-century ranches. I visited some absolutely lovely period homes that made me yearn for a similar period charm in my own house.

But I was plain stuck in our 70's split-foyer place. Arts & Crafts or Danish Modern simply didn't fly in our house because of the architecture. The thought of decorating our place in a run-of-the-mill Pottery Barn or Pier 1 style made me cringe.

Finally, I came across this in the morning newspaper: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323550604578410873395938516.html

Now I think that instead of fighting our house's period style it might be better to embrace it. Take the best of that era and eliminate the worst. Not sure yet whether I should view the popcorn ceilings as an "interesting texture" or not.

I looked around at the furnishings my husband and I had acquired on CL and estate sales, found in consignment and antique shops, and inherited from my husband's late parents who lived in a fabulous atomic ranch. I realized I had been leaning toward Art-Deco-ish style overall. Which only made sense since the Art Deco esthetic experienced a revival in the 70's.

Of course, our suburban abode is a far cry from the real estate described in the article. I read books on Art Deco and I feel that I could do some Art Deco style in my house. In fact, I'd love to mix in a bit of Art Nouveau and Danish Modern. I already have an Art-Nouveau-ish glass top table that serves as our kid's computer desk in our living room

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this. Maybe I'll get to posting pics as the discussion develops (and I master the ins and outs of posting here!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Street Journal article on 70's houses

Comments (15)