SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Color experts needed to help me with choosing kitchen paint

sis2two
12 years ago

For some time now, I have wanted to paint my walls above my beadboard as my current color is strong and it seems that my upper cabinets just fade into the wall color. I really need some ideas that will tie all the elements I have going on in there. As you can see, I like a country/farmhouse style. O ff of the kitchen, my colors are a barn red and Hampshire Gray which looks green. Lower cabinets are dark green as you can see. I need to freshen this room up. My mudroom which you enter to come into the kitchen is sand beige and has peach undertones. If any of you have pictures that may help me visualize, it would help. Thanks so much.

Comments (41)

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen!!!

It's always difficult to advise on paint color through a computer monitor, but here's what I can see...

It may sound wierd, but maybe your paint color should be more similar to your cabinet color. I'm going to suggest that you start with SW Totally Tan & go from there. My biggest concern with that is the adjacent room with a peach undertone. I definitely feel that you need to go a little darker & richer than it is now to transition well to the red & green rooms. And I think the green lower cabinets will pop more.

I always advise to go to SW or BM for a color consultation in person.

And...I wouldn't mind seeing your ceiling painted a tint of the wall color you choose to bring it all together.

~Jeana

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

InteriorStylist- My current color is guesthouse by BM which looks almost exactly like the totally tan. If you happen to have the BM fan deck tell me what you think. My wall color actually looks more gold in person than what it does on the monitor. I have been thinking that I need to go lighter but maybe not. Thank you for your help.

• Related Discussions

Help me choose paint color for my kitchen

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm Jan_in_Wisconsin, and I'm happy to know that my kitchen is liked by others. It was a challenge in putting it all together, for sure. I just wanted to say that the SW Flowerpot does look slightly more brickish red in real life. I agree with the other poster that since your cabinets, countertop, and backsplash are on the lighter side, that a deeper wall color might be more striking. Here is a link to a photo mix of our home, if you're interested in seeing more pictures: Here is a link that might be useful: Our New Home
    ...See More

Help! need to choose paint color for kitchen cabinets .

Q

Comments (4)
    Here's some gray kitchens. I don't remember where this is from... Cote De Texas Cote De Texas wider view Young House Love blog Here is a link that might be useful: gray kitchen thread
    ...See More

Rehabbed kitchen - now need help choosing paint colors!

Q

Comments (15)
    Here's how it might work. Pick an inspiration...in this case the fabric...which works with a turquoise island. From the fabric pick a wall color, a ceiling color and the turquoise you want for the island. You can then use the colors in the rest of the palette to bring all your rooms together...maybe use the lighter palette in the LR, the medium colors in the dining area...keep the chairs in the yellow green tones and maybe select the gold tone or the deeper taupe to use on the pew fabric. I'd use the same fabric for the drapes in the dining area as I did in the kitchen. I'd select a more formal fabric though for the LR. I'd probably pick the soft beige for the LR walls. If you don't like this fabric or this color way, that's ok...it's just an example of how this could work for you.
    ...See More

Help me choose paint color for my new kitchen

Q

Comments (17)
    Here are photos of the rest of the house. I'm not proud of the quality of the images, but they get the point across, I hope. The front patio and front door: The Living Room, panorama showing all four walls: The Dining Room, panorama showing 3 walls. Detail of the Dining Room paint. The lower walls is Zolotone with pink, two shades of grey, and off white. The trim is painted pink and off-white. The blind on the right is the fourth wall of the dining room, not visible in prior image - a built-in bookcase full of photography books, hidden behind a blind to protect them from the UV rays. (Yikes, nothing like a closeup image to show how dirty and worn things are.) The Dining Room is connected to the Kitchen through a single door, with very little visual connection. Bathroom, 5x7 feet: Office #1, 10x10 feet, aka Library, aka Green Room. Panorama showing all four walls makes it very distorted, but gives a sense of what the room is like. Office #2, also 10x10 feet. The only hall: The old Kitchen, looking along the north wall to the west wall. (I can't wait until this kitchen is GONE!) The old kitchen south wall, photo taken from the doorway to the dining room. We have removed the window to the left of the fridge, as the little table at that window was dead space that we never used.
    ...See More
  • User
    12 years ago

Lovely kitchen, I am bumping this as I have no suggestion but am so curious to see what the experts offer.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Very attractive kitchen~ are your upper cabinets maple? How about the floor? Just asking to get a better idea of the wood tones.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, my upper cabinets are maple and the floor is reclaimed heart pine..My pantry door is pine and we want to keep our beadboard white. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

Your house is very charming. You have pulled off the country/farmhouse style without it looked affected/too kitschy. Nice job.

Can you give us brand/color of green cabinets? It may help if we can reference their site to get another visual for the actual green color tone.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Sis, it looks very beige on my monitor!!! Totally Tan usually has a more orange undertone. Hmmm...

I lost my BM fan to a client a few weeks ago so I only have SW to look at for now till I get it back.

So now I'm going to SW Bakelite Gold or Honeycomb.

OR...are you feeling that blues might be more to your liking at this point since you've done the tan/gold already??? A deeper blue might also look good to set off the pine & maple...maybe Aleutian or Bracing Blue. The green cabinets will be tricky to get the right blue, but it can be done!!!

~Jeana

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tinycastles--the cabinets are Woodmode cottage green and they are like a deep hunter green. Their current cottage green is not the same color.

InteriorStylist--In real life the wall color looks more golden than tan. I have been thinking about your suggestions and am wondering about maybe even a terracotta color. During the day, you can't really distinguish the upper cabinets from my wall color. I'm not sure that going with a light wall color is the way to go. As far as blues, I am drawn more to warm colors.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Well good, cause I like warm colors better in kitchens. I don't think you should go light either - Bakelite Gold & Honeycomb are on the shade end of the strip. But if you want to go darker (hey I'm all for it!!!) look at Saucy Gold & Butterscotch. They are the darkest shades of Bakelite & Honeycomb, more towards a terra cotta without TOO much orange, which I feel would clash with the red in DR & green/gray in the adjacent room.

~Jeana

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen! I'm a fellow country fan. I think a braided rug under your DR table with some green in it would bring the whole area together. You can get matching braided runners to place in front of your countertops.

I don't think you'd need to repaint if you had a rug there.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I went out today looking at paint chips and found one called Foxfire Brown by Porter paints. It is almost a copper or nutmeg color. Going to paint a large sample board to try.
    Oakleyok--I love braided rugs and I think I will look at doing that. My problem has always been that I have messy eaters in my family and lots of spills. Mostly my DH, and not my children!
    InteriorStylist--you have been so helpful. Looked up the colors you suggested but to me they were a little too goldy-orange. I liked your idea of going deeper rather than lighter. Hoping this color will work or something similar. Thanks so much. Would like to hear what you think.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Sis, I was looking at the website below and saw this set of braided rugs and instantly thought of you! Not necessarily these colors (rugsusa.com has some good one's), but these would be gorgeous in your kitchen.

To me, braided rugs are the bee's knees. LOL. They just make a room, IMO, and especially adds that quaint country charm.

I honestly think if you had a set of braided rugs you wouldn't need to paint anything. Also, braided rugs are very forgiving towards spills. We have a really nice one in front of the stove and you can imagine the stuff that gets on it, but it looks brand new!

The thicker the rug the better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Braided Rugs

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm still looking at that website, I have a $25 off coupon. lol.

Below is a link to a table runner which is also braided. But you can buy round braided table runners and placemats too, from various "country" stores online.

I have a narrow braided runner I put on the counter in the Fall with a few decor items on top. It really adds to the country charm I like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Runner

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakleyok--I order from Sturbridge all the time. Thanks for the link. I was also looking at Capel braided rugs as I have one in my mudroom and it is great. The reason I am feeling the need to paint is that in real life my upper cabinets recede into the wall color. Doesn't appear that way on the computer monitor though. On the monitor it looks beige, but really it has some strong gold undertones that also fight with my mudroom walls. Picking paint is so difficult for me, that and decorating walls. Thanks again for the rug suggestion. I think that would look nice.

• iluvcolor
    12 years ago

You HAVE to take a look at Benjamin Moore's Affinity color called Etruscan. I have a similar kitchen to yours, and was considering "Desert Beach", which is a few strips away from your Guesthouse. I finally got a sample board painted with Etruscan, and now am completely convinced that the Affinity colors are much richer (they have more colorants). Etruscan is a beautiful, soft, terra-cotta-like caramel color, but not bright. I would describe it as deep and rich. What I have noticed with all my samples is that the Affinity colors seem to "hold up" better with the light changes, i.e., with the darker shadows at nighttime, the color still looks true compared to non-affinity colors that look similar in daylight.
    Etruscan would make your upper cabinets pop out nicely, which is what I think you are looking for. Plus, the deeper color will look good with your dark lower cabs.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I HAVE to get my BM swatches back - iluvcolor just confirmed it!!! :-)

~Jeana

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

Have you considered going darker to make the cabinets pop? Going with a brown color will also make the beadboard stand out too.

I'm sorry I don't have a photo, but I used SW Quiver Tan in my dining room under my chair rail. It's not really tan, but a nice brown, not chocolate; I just don't know how to describe it!

Here's the best swatch I could find online for it:

Actually, a chocolately brown might look really nice too!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

The Affinity colors are lovely - agreed. They are nicely toned individually and as a collection. There is a separate little fandeck for the 144 Affinity colors

Affinity colors for Aura paint base are interesting because they are mixed using the Gennex colorant system. What's special about Gennex colorants for the Affinity colors is that they are zero VOC. So, the Affinity colors still on average consists of only three to four colorants it's just that they are Gennex.

Here is a link that might be useful: Affinity Fandeck

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I have two smallish Capel rugs. One is in front of the stove and the other was by the backdoor. Great for muddy footprints! Vacuums right up!

Anyway, today I put the backdoor rug in front of the sink and I just love having the two of them in the kitchen.

There are a lot of braided rugs online, but try buying one in a rug or furniture store and they think you've gone mad. lol

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

iluvcolor--I have the Affinity fandeck, looked it up and I love it! Held it up to my upper cabs and it's nighttime so can't really tell if it is enough contrast or not. I will get a larger sample to try.
    chocolatebunny--One color that I am considering is a very deep copper color, along the lines of the Etruscan but much deeper.
    Oakleyok--I have decided to get a braided rug for under the table. Would you do the green even if I do the terra-cotta wall color?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

This may sound crazy, but have you considered something like your lower cabinet color? That would look great with the maple cabintes and also the white beadboard. Just a thought.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cyn427-- You know, I did consider it but I have other rooms in green and I felt like it needed a warm tone up top. Can't really explain it. I even considered a blue-green but it just didn't "feel" right or go with the rest of our home in my opinion.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

sis2two, the exterior of my home is painted SW quiver tan. We have some cultured stone out front similar to the color of your cabinets. I agree with chocolate bunny, the quiver tan would make your cabinets really stand out : )

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

southernfrenchie--Thanks for your reply. I looked up the quiver tan and whille I like the color, it doesn't look good with my lower hunter green cabs. It would look good with the uppers, but not with the whole picture. Wanted to tell you that I love your new paint job in your kitchen. Love it with the red dining room in the background. Love your style of decorating!

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

sis2two - you have a lovely kitchen yourself! I love the piece you have for your island : )

That's too bad about the quiver tan not working with the lower cabinets. That hunter green is a really pretty color. I also love the red in your dining room : ) Ooh, and I just noticed your hallway color - what is that?

I would go maybe for a lighter cream or beige - or even a light gray green. You already have strong colors in the dining room and hallway - and that way your lower cabinets can be the star of the kitchen : )

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

southernfrenchie- Thanks so much. The other room you see is our family room and it is Hampshire Gray by BM which is a deep gray green. I do tend to go for deep colors. The Etruscan color is really nice but I think I may need to go a little deeper because it is so similar to my cabinet color.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Sis, a little off topic. I'm sitting here with the $25 off coupon from Sturbridge, but you have to order $100 in merchandise to get the discount.

I'm not going to use it, but if you want the code number, email me via GW and I'll give it to you. I hate to see it go to waste, especially knowing that you shop there also.

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

I agree with you that you need some contrast betweeen the cabinets and the wall color.Your 3rd picture shows the dining room painted red in the background-I love a red kitchen, but maybe a bit Christmas-y with the green cabinets. My next choice would be a cross between a carmel and brown paper bag color.Will you be adding window treatments? Perhaps that would be a jumping off point.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakleyok--you are so sweet. I have actually decided on the bear creek hunter green round rug by Capel. Sturbridge did not have the round wool blend rug in the hunter green color. I have a bear creek rug in my mudroom and have been really happy with it. My table is 4' round and the only size that will work in that space is the 5' 6" rug because the 7' will not work. Do you think that will work? The back legs of my chairs will be off the rug when they are pulled out. A 6' would be better but can't find one in the style of rug I like.
    Ratherbesewing-- I got so tickled with the caramel paper bag description because that is so how I describe things. I think the color I am going to use is fox hill brown by Porter and is almost a deep copper color. I have a big sample board and it does pop against the uppers and looks fine with my mudroom color. It is deep but I love warm colors. I may try to post a pic of the sample later. Need my DH's help to post pictures and he won't be home until robots. Thanks for your suggestions.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't understand why my iPad likes to insert words for me. So annoying!

• User
    12 years ago

White. Nothing says sophisticated country kitchen like white walls. Not as white as your woodwork, just an "antique" white color. Plus it goes with your backsplash.

And--out of the box here--colormatch your lower cabinets for a green---for the ceiling. You have high enough ceilings that choosing a dark color will make them recede and make the space look even higher. And the green would be a better choice than the current trend to grey or black ceilings.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know, I never considered white, probably because I have color everywhere. That is something to consider. I'm not sure about the green ceiling though. Of course I've never had color on my ceiling before. I appreciate your suggestions. And just when I thought I had it figured out.

• stewartlaura67
    12 years ago

What do you think about a golden yellow color? My kitchen has similar cabinets to yours and last time I was choosing paint colors I went with a deep yellow. It really brightens up the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Choosing Paint Colors

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ended up using Foxfire Brown by Porter. It is a deep copper color and I really like it. It is dark, but I like it with my cabinets. Thanks for your response.

• User
    12 years ago

Would love to see a picture!

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

Picture please! We have a somewhat similar vibe in our kitchens, though yours is far more developed in terms of finish and style.

I love my braided rugs! I got some on Overstock and they're great.

Mary

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will try to post some pics this evening. Haven't purchased the braided rugs yet. I decided against one under the kitchen table simply because my DH really likes the look of the floors. I do plan to get one for in front of the sink.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are my updated pictures. For some reason my knobs on my lower cabinets are not photographing well. They are actually stained like the uppers. Hope to hear what you think about the new color. Thanks. Deedra

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I'm in love with the color! The combinations you have will be fun to decorate with. All that's lacking is a braided rug for the eating area. :)

• sis2two
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oakleyok--thanks so much and you are right about the rug!

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful! I really love that color. It looks perfect! And I agree with your DH - no braided rug. Of course, I'm not a braided rug fan, so my opinion may not count :-)