SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Window wider than I thought - bamboo color and ?

13 years ago

I may be getting ahead of myself but that's pretty typical.

What color bamboo blinds would you get for this room since all the wood is cherry? Dark to match? (the dust, oh my!) Medium with some color variation?

Old pic but you can see the layout.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is the new queen bed.

{{!gwi}}

This will be what my pillows look like (floral will replace the paisley). I will use a solid tan coverlet. Will be painting the walls.

{{!gwi}}

Next - potential problem.

The inside of the window measures 73", trim to trim is 78 1/2". I wanted to buy a thicker rod and raise both the rod and the roman up to the ceiling. Stationary panels at the sides.

The widest Lowes and Home Depot have is 72". If I'm outside mounting this up at the ceiling should the width also cover the trim and be the 78 1/2"? If so, I'm probably not going to be able to get a roman shade. I need to keep the cost under $100. Overstock has some but I don't remember much over 73" wide.

If I was able to get a darker bamboo roman, would you pair lighter curtains with it? I really want to turn canvas drop cloth into curtains but they might be too light.

OR bag the roman shade (this could be easier) and go with panels we open and close? I need something over the windows at night.

Comments (37)

• 13 years ago

1-I would do the dark color. We have similar colored furniture, and I have the dark and am very pleased with the look.

2-See if JC Penney's website has what you need. Their shades are very well priced.

• 13 years ago

I forgot to mention JCP only goes to 72" width also. :( I guess depending on where I used the panels I could maybe get away with 72".

• Related Discussions

Great, thought I was done with paint color, second guessing

Q

Comments (22)
    Laurie, It is Powell Buff, I don't like it at all with the colors we are going to have and it just about gave my dog a heart attack when it hit him on the head while he was sleeping. It is too cool and looks terrible up against the Navajo White that is in the foyer. All of the walls connect together so I have to be very careful as was discussed in my Oct thread when I was asking for help with the kitchen color. Pittsfield Buff and Wilmington Tan are the other two colors. Wilmington Tan is okay, my husband and I don't like how dark it is. I think it may be due to the fact it is pretty dark in there right now with the Pepper Spice and Tate Olive. We both are wanting something to brighten up the room. CaroleOh suggested I get Nomadic Desert and Kilim Beige to look at also. This is really stressing me out. So far my husband and I really like the buttery creamy color of the Pittsfield Buff. I'm going to see what those two SW colors look like and then we are going to make a decision. Our demo starts in a week and I'm getting very stressed out because we have to basically move out of our kitchen and then I have to move everything for the painter. I should have just left the spec kitchen alone.
    ...See More

Hood wider than range - OK with upper cabinets?

Q

Comments (15)
    Angie, found your comment interesting. I have a bottle green Blue Star 30 RNB. Love the range, but like Tina have often thought may-be I should have gotten black or brown-black rather than green. I do like the green with the wood, and it restates the green used throughout our house, but still I sometimes think I should have gone with something more neutral, and that black or stainless would have been more "authentic" looking as we have a period looking kitchen. Do not want to hijack Tina's thread -- may-be we should do a thread on color range -yes or no?
    ...See More

Should range hood be wider than, or as wide as your cooktop?

Q

Comments (8)
    Allison, I have a 30" range and 36" (high cfm) hood with new white cabinets. Well, the other night when I was cleaning up the kitchen, I noticed there were these tiny, little, clear spots (assume grease?) all over my right upper cabinet. It got less and less spotty as it went to right. It's also on the wood range hood cover. I tried to wipe it off, but it is not coming off! Grrrr! I am thinking it is because that right front burner is the power burner, and we use it the most. We also have the hood at the highest recommended height which reduces the capture area. I hope it hasn't wrecked the paint on my new cabinets! So my recommendation is to get a nice powerful hood that is at least 6" wider then your range, unless you don't cook a lot and/or you are diligent about wiping down the fronts of your cabinets after cooking. I'm bummed about mine. :-(
    ...See More

window wider than lower cabinet...odd???

Q

Comments (64)
    I know someone who had a very small kitchen with a few feet of continuous counter to the Left of the sink, but the cooktop was to the right of the sink and there was 9" of counter between the sink and cooktop. They almost always completely ignored the feet of countertop to the left of the sink and prepped on the 9" of countertop between the sink and stove, sometimes balancing a cutting board there to make a little more surface to work on. It's just human nature that people want to prep in certain spots and it doesn't really matter if there are yards of counterspace somewhere else (unless you have a baking area or a countertop appliance area there). So I agree that that run of counter on the far side of the sink will probably just accumulate things.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

The new bedding is really pretty. Sorry to see the other didn't work out :(
    I haven't seen the darker bamboo blinds, but I love the color variation in the ones in the pic you posted. I also think the medium ones would offer you more choices with curtains.
    LOVE the new bed! You must be so excited to get the room together!

• 13 years ago

A 72" shade is very heavy to operate - even if you could find wider, you might not be able to open it! HAve you priced getting 2 shades? I know that's not what you're seeing in your mind, but it might be your only option. There would have to be a small gap between them, but we've been able to hang shades side by side much closer than the recommended clearance with no issues - you just have to account for the hardware size.

• 13 years ago

hi - do you have to do bamboo? why not just regular shades. I'm assuming there's a privacy issue. Your bedroom is gorgeous. whatever you choose to place in your windows won't take away from the overall "feel" of your bedroom. I wouldn't worry about the blinds :)

• 13 years ago

Homebodymom - Yeah, once I got that other red/black bedding out of the box it just wasn't working for me. I was trying so hard to get that custom look without going custom.
    I love the blinds in the pic also! They work really well since they're the same tone as the bed. I was thinking mine would look odd if I didn't go darker because of the other furniture.
    We're very happy with the new bed and (I'm) excited to get this room finished! :)

Dlm - I was wondering how heavy it was going to be. Two shades side by side, mounted up toward the ceiling? At one point I wondered how I could do two shades for an inside mount but there's nothing in the middle to hook them to.

Trisha - Thanks! I really like the texture bamboo gives and I'm not real crazy about other blinds although I do have 2" white blinds in the bathrooms.

I'm thinking maybe I should just bag the idea of the bamboo roman. We don't really "need" privacy but I like something covering the windows at night. I'd have to pull the curtains closed.

• 13 years ago

DLM brings out a good point about the weight of the shade. Also, you will have more privacy if you only want to open one side of the window. I went with 2 blinds on our 72" Guest BR window and I went with 3 blinds on our very large window in the Master BR for that reason.

• 13 years ago

Shee: If you look closely at those blinds in the pic, they are not uniform in color, but have some darker bamboo stips mixed in with lighter. That would be my personal choice for your room. I think if it's more varigated it should go with the darker wood, while still adding a more organic feel. I also agree to go with 2 blinds and cover up the trim. It's possible to get the blinds put together on the same header to give it a more finished look, though may cost a bit more it's worth it to get the look you want as well as close the gap between the two shades. I think you can order them that way at JCP. Just wait for a good WT sale and you can get 40%.

• 13 years ago

Jerseygirl - Are your blinds inside or outside mount.

Val - I like the idea of varigated. How would I cover up the trim? JCP doesn't go wider than 72" for custom.

• 13 years ago

Shee, I believe that what Val means is that you get 2 blinds that together equal 80" for example, 2 at 40" wide that would cover the window trim, instead of one large 72" blind. Mount them on the same header for a more finished look.

• 13 years ago

Were you considering the same bamboo shades that you have in the kitchen? I think those would look great in your bedroom. We have dark woven woods in ours and I've often wished I had chosen something lighter. We have a metal bed and a mahogany armoire, so the shades work and since there are 4 windows in the room it's not too dark, I just think lighter would have been nicer.

We have the 72" (actually 71 1/2") Designview bamboo shades on the screened porch and they're not difficult to raise & lower. If you're using panels with the blinds you could easily hide the fact that the blinds aren't as wide as the window.

• 13 years ago

Nanny - Oh yeah. :) I feel stupid. It's been a long day.

I'm still not grasping the mount on same header. I thought they each had their own headers? Off to look that up.

Natal- I do really like that there's variation in my kitchen shades. I was hoping to find something a wee bit darker but not as dark as the wood furniture in the room. I do think one (or two side by side), big, dark roman might be too heavy looking because of the window width and it's the first thing you see when you walk in the room.

• 13 years ago

Natal - Which blinds by Designview do you have?

Looking online at the photos. I like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: cocoa cozumel

• 13 years ago

We have the Natural Kiawah on the porch. They're 72" wide.

The ones in the bedroom are dark like the one you linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Kiawah

• 13 years ago

Looking at natal's pics, the single header may not be available with shades; but I kown you can do multiple blinds on a single header. May not hurt to call up JCP's window dept. and inquire about it though. I found them to be very helpful when planning my WTs. Even if you order elsewhere, it'd be helpful to get their suggestions for your window size, though from the sound it it, you're going to need two blinds given the window width plus trim.

• 13 years ago

There are some things that you can use the less expensive product, and then there are applications where you will be sorry if it doesn't quite fit and this is one of them. Ideally, for an outside mount, they should cover the trim. If you plan on raising and lowering each day, then you will use them a lot instead of them being just for show. Especially for a large window, I would get someone out to measure and give you an estimate for the woven blinds you really want. The ones in your inspiration pic are the cheapo roll up matchstick blinds that can be purchased in World Market. Mary Carol references them a lot in her books. I have them in my upstairs window overlooking my FR. I also have the darker romans from HD in my FR. Both are pretty much for show. I never actually move them up and down. For a window that will get a lot of use, it would be worth it in the long run, to get something that fits the window properly and will last. Have JCP come out to give you an estimate. It might be worth it when they are having a sale.

• 13 years ago

Natal - Oh that's right. My kitchen shades are like your porch ones. The bottom picture are they actually the cocoa cozumel ones I linked to? Thanks for posting those pics!

Val - I'll call JCP. I honestly think it might look funny to me having two different blinds even under one header.

Kmcg - "then there are applications where you will be sorry if it doesn't quite fit and this is one of them". Yep. Wish I had a World Market near me for some other windows! Are you thinking I should use the two blinds under a header also or are you thinking the full width of the window, which was mentioned will be heavy to lift and lower. Maybe a better quality blind makes a big difference? I also don't believe I could order from JCP if I went with one because they only go to 72" wide.

I have a $125 gift certificate to Budget Blinds but the name is a joke as they're expensive. It's probably 5 years old now and I don't even know if I have it anymore. I did contact them 2 years ago and was going to have them come out to the house but I cancelled and went with cheap blinds. I'll have to dig around.

I'm seriously just thinking of of forgetting this and getting nice curtains to open and close. My curtains currently stay closed and they're really thick so I wonder how big of a difference temp. wise it will make. Growing up Mom always had blinds and didn't bother to raise them often. To this day it's just one of those things... This is also why I don't have any blinds on my LR windows, lol. If I did they would be for decoration and would stay up. I like light to shine in.

• 13 years ago

Right now JCP is having a 50-65% off sale on made to measure window treatments! This is your day!

Here is a link that might be useful: made to measure romans

• 13 years ago

Got ahead of myself. The customs only go to 72 wide. Sorry! Is the window one or two independantly operating windows surrounded by one trim piece? If it is two windows than two romans will work butted up against each other. It can be done and it doesn't look funny. I did it in my family room.

• 13 years ago

Kmcg - It's two independently operating windows with trim around. Back when I had thought of just going for an inside mount (which I'd prefer to raise it up toward the ceiling) the middle section of the window (where the two meet) isn't deep enough to mount the header to. Hope that makes sense. I can take a pic later if you want. I'm pretty sure I can't attach two separate blinds.

Ahh, I see there are other made to order options. Thanks Kmcg! I just ran through a quick mock up order and for 2 pretty standard 39x72 (guessed the 72) blinds my total came to $386.75. That looks great next to the original price of $1105.00 but I honestly don't know if I can bring myself to spend even $300 for blinds. It's just not that important to me. I'd rather spend a little extra money on extra wide width curtains to that look nice open and closed. Bali does have a great selection of woven woods though.

This is what it would look like with two blinds under one header, right?
    {{!gwi}}
    Woven romans do add lots of texture and I'd be ok with having them just for looks and opening and closing the curtains at night, but if I can't do both blinds under one header I shouldn't do this because it will look odd. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to find something cheap for looks with one header.

Why couldn't my window be a little shorter in width? Grr.

• 13 years ago

The bottom picture are they actually the cocoa cozumel ones I linked to?

No, they're Kirsch woven woods. Have had them for almost 30 years.

• 13 years ago

Mine aren't on one header. I have two from HD in the pecan finish butted up against each other so it kind of reads as one, if that makes sense. I made sure the measurements were as close to the overall outside trim measurements. If you are planning on mounting them as close to the curatin rod as possible so there is no gap between rod and shade, then you need an outside mount anyway, I think. The brackets would also have to be mounted on a block of wood as deep as your trim to hang correctly in order to get the look you want. The other option is to get the cheapo rollup matchstick blinds like Mary Carol uses. Those can be mounted inside. It only hangs from an eye hook you can screw in with your hand. I have those too!

• 13 years ago

Kmcg - Would you mind taking a picture of your blinds for me? Pretty please? Oh man, I never even though about the block of wood! That would've been a fun thing to discover later, ha. The rollup matchstick ones, any idea where I can get one 73" wide? Again, I don't have a World Market around here.

• 13 years ago

I'm not sure where else to get them...I'm sure there are places. The matchstick I got at World Market and the Romans at HD in the pecan finish. Here is a pic of the HD romans. They are just slightly smaller than the window trim.

In this pic you can see the slight separation of the two blinds. Doesn't bother me!

• 13 years ago

kmcg's blinds look really good to me. While ideally, it would be best to cover the trim, keep in mind you will be putting stationary panels to either side. The important thing to my thinking is that the leading edges of the panels slightly overlap the edges of the blinds. If you do that, then you would be hiding the trim anyway with the stationary panels and it would look OK. The only reason to have the blinds clear the trim is if you are NOT doing a layered treatment or prefer to have your panels stackback behind the trim. I think it is OK to have the panels cover the side trim and perhaps even a few inches of the window if it will allow you to save significant money and/or stick to a single shade. Though a 72" wide shade will still be heavy especially if it is also long. Hope this makes sense.

• 13 years ago

Thanks Kmcg. Yours look good. How did you attach yours in the middle? Keep reading to see what I'm talking about.

I would want the curtains to cover just the edges of the blind/trim. My goal is to make this window look larger. I can't stand how squatty it feels. Can't wait to get a different rod and raise it up.

These shades attach at the sides not the tops, right? You can see there's nothing in the middle section to attach the two shades to. If that's the case, doing an inside mount I would have to go with one full width.
    Photos of the window.
    The inside.
    {{!gwi}}

The outside. (which is fine depth I just wanted to show the window)
    {{!gwi}}
    Shot of the whole window. I accidently pulled the rod out :) and didn't bother to fix it for the photo.
    {{!gwi}}

If going withoutside mount, I would need to mount the blinds on blocking? (take a piece of wood and paint it the wall color or what? I think I have scrap pieces of trim left over.)

• 13 years ago

shee: From looking at your window, I think it would work well to do two blinds butted up together. Then you won't have issue with the width or being too heavy. I'd get them so the controls face the outsides of the window (one to left, other to the right) so that you don't see any cords dangling in the center of the window. I don't think you need to use blocking. Even my operable drapes are mounted with molly bolts and blinds should be much less heavy. You may even have a header above that window. If you have a stud finder, I'd run it in the area above the window to see where you have studs as it'd be best to put at least some of the screws in the studs. So is your plan then to do full length panels, but have the blinds be sil length? Are you planning to ever do crown in this room? If so, you should account for that before putting in the new rod. It will look very nice raised higher and not so squatty. I have same problem with many of my windows. It's that CA ranch architecture!

• 13 years ago

I feel like such a moron in this and my other blanket post! lol I really need clarification.

"I think it would work well to do two blinds butted up together."
    You're talking about outside mount up near the ceiling so there's no wall space showing, right? You can't attach blinds at the middle of my window, right?

The blocking was for support and not to make the blind stick out farther? I totally misunderstood that above if that's the case. I'm all about those wall toggles for support.

"So is your plan then to do full length panels, but have the blinds be sil length?"
    Yes.

Crown - Not anytime soon but I'll leave 3" at the top like I did for the LR.

I found some more site online but some sizes are just above but not quite. The one I linked has 72x72 but my window is (assuming inside mount) is 73". Sometimes there's wiggle room and they tell you that so you can order the correct size.

I'm not finding my words very well tonight. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: matchstickblind

• 13 years ago

I originally bought blinds like your matchstick link from World Market for the screened porch. They were very cheaply made and I ended up selling them on Craig's List. Just an FYI.

• 13 years ago

There's a blog called younghouselove that shows what you are wanting to do to your window. They have a large picture window in their living room and bought two bamboo blinds from Wal-Mart and butted them up side by side and hung panels on either side. They wrote that they are a little too wide for the window but no one call tell because the panels hide the fact. I hope this link will take you there but if not google younghouselove and then do a search on their site and you should be able to find their blog about redoing their living room window. Maybe seeing what they did will help you visualize what you are trying to accomplish. www.younghouselove.com/2008/06/curtain-call-2/

• 13 years ago

I thought your plan was to do outside mount to get rid of the squatty window look right? You could probably do inside mount if you wished because the blinds are generally attached to the underside of top of the window frame and not the sides; however you'd probably need to go custom then. Outside mount would be more forgiving since any little extra/shortage can be compensated with the panels.

• 13 years ago

My shades actually mount from the top, not the sides. I don't have a windowsill, so no real room for an inside mount. If I had could have an inside mount, then that's what I'd do. I have the metal mounting clips on the trim above the window. FWIW, Amazon has a ton of bamboo shades.

• 13 years ago

Natal - Cheaply made that they didn't work properly or also that they looked bad? The ones I bought like yours for my patio doors were inexpensive and they work good. Although I've only used them for about a year. I'm ok with the idea of them there just for looks and closing the curtains.

Louisianalover - That's what I want to do. Thanks for linking to that blog. It really helped to see the picture.

Val - That is what I wanted to do. I kept getting interrupted last night when I was trying to post. Add tired on top of that. I want to hang them up with the rod at the ceiling. It looks better. I've been hooked ever since I raised the rod in my LR. Romans would probably look nice in there too. I agree it would look best to have the cords on the outsides edges but if I buy something not custom don't they only hang to the one side? I need to go home and look at my shades. I didn't hang those.

Val & Kmcg - Thinking again, I did actually hang blinds over the summer in the one bedroom and you'd think I'd remember they were mounted to the top of the sill. Feeling silly again.

I think I'm putting way too much thought into this. I'm off to find two, preferably inexpensive romans, medium color with darker color variations, in approx. the correct width for the window. You guys are right that it will look fine once I get the panels in place.

What do you guys think of the color of the blind in the link? I'd prefer to buy romans so I'm just talking color. Here's the photos so you don't have to go back up.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

How about these? Not dark enough?

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon romans

• 13 years ago

I really like this one from Lowes.
    {{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

I think some type of drapery would look more in keeping with your bedding. JMHO. I have the same situation with two large windows butted together in 2 rooms. Total is 84". I treat them as one window each and use enough drapery just to frame the windows (treating them as one in each room). But, I am not a lover of the dark roman shades, and also DH wants to be able to see out of our newly installed huge windows. Privacy isn't an issue at our house, however.

• 13 years ago

Shee, they hung with open hooks and didn't have a valance. They also rolled up vs. rising with roman folds and that becomes much more awkward the wider the shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: have you seen this site?