SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

Industrial pendant lights for bedroom?

kmcg
12 years ago

I recently moved into an old Edwardian house (kind of Victorian but less frilly) and need to replace the crazily-out-of-place track lighting in the bedrooms. I'm quite attracted to the pendant lights that have an industrial kind of look, like the one linked below.

The ceilings are 9 feet high, and the rooms are smallish - 10x12 or so. The most distinguishing feature of the rooms is an abundance of white trim/moldings, and white plantation shutters. One room has dark plum walls, one has gray, one has a seafoam green, so the molding really stands out. Our furniture is sort of vintage style - a mix of hand-me-down antiques and a bit of Pottery Barn.

I love this style of pendants, and think they would provide ample light if hung pretty close to the ceiling. But I see them used as kitchen lights, and wonder if it would be too wacky to put one in a bedroom that is so vintage in look. I also admit that these are completely trendy, and would hate to have to replace them in a year or two.

What do you think about mixing vintages like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: pendant light

Comments (13)

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Horrors!!! You've posted something from RH!!! Just kidding guys...

Ok I LOVE vintage industrial & it could be appropriate for your home. However, I'd be more inclined to suggest something that reallly IS vintage industrial from the era of your home. Honestly, I'd rather see a cheap metal worklight from Home Depot painted in a black base with copper/bronze overlay than this one. I don't think a long rod is right for this application.

What's the exact date of your house???

~Jeana

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I would have to pass on this one for a bedroom. If you want to do stripped down early electric I would look at Rejuvenation's period basics.

I like the one you posted but not for a bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation Period Basics

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops - I should have looked for a different example to post :) I wouldn't actually buy one from RH, but there are lots offered by our local lighting store. It's basically any pendant with a yoke at the top, and I have seen several that could hang just 12" from the ceiling, so I'm not too worried about the rod aspect. I am worried about the style, though, so I appreciate your input!

I will definitely make a visit to the Rejuvenation store. Much of that collection palimpsest posted focuses on the schoolhouse light fixture, which I do like and have considered as a more normal choice for our house (we already have a bunch of these in the kitchen, or I'd scratch this itch by putting an industrial fixture in the kitchen). I just find it really hard to figure out lighting for a bedroom or office, because the norm is to go for a flush-mount ceiling fixture, and those seem a little more boring than would be absolutely necessary.

My house was built in 1906 - young in some parts of the country, but really old where I live.

More opinions please!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I agree about Rejuvenation & have liked them for years...I'm just sensing that you want something edgier??? I wasn't being flip about the HD worklight option - I've actually seen it done & it looks nice. If not copper/bronze, green was popular then.

~Jeana

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I can't access the link, but I do like the vintage industrial look and think it would be interesting in a bedroom. Do you have any pictures of your room? I love poring through the huge selection in the Rejuvenation catalog but haven't bought anything there yet.

I just ordered an RH vintage industrial style task table lamp to use next to my reading chair. After seeing it in the store and comparing it to many others, it had the quality, clean lines and matte finish that I was looking for. What I liked most was that it didn't scream "office desk light" as do many task lamps, at least to me.

I bought it during the lighting sale but it was reduced even further after I ordered and RH credited me the difference. Not sure I'll post a picture of it though after reading recent comments on other threads :-)

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeana - You're right: something edgier appeals to me, but I don't want to ruin the old style of the house. And my husband is a bit more conservative than I when it comes to how much overt decoration he can tolerate. So I'm pretty sure he will veto the HD pendant.

I'll post some pix of the various rooms, but they are not very good - just quick snaps from when he had the home inspection. Previous owners' furniture and artwork. We now have our own furnishings but it's not too put-together, so I haven't bothered with new photos. But this will give you the general look of the trim and shutters.

office/sewing room to be

daughter's bedroom

master bedroom - may eventually become a sitting room

guest room - will eventually be expanded and turned into master BR

Here's another pendant I like (NOT RH, but similar and a lot cheaper because it's on craigslist right now).It can be shortened to use just a 6" rod so it would install more like a semi-flushmount fixture that just hangs down more than normal.

Maybe I'm just hopelessly drawn to shiny objects! Perhaps I could start with one of this style in my office, which others rarely have to even see :)

I'm definitely open to suggestions, guys. If I were to go more traditional, do you think the schoolhouse style (flushmount) would look good, or should I go for something a little less stolid and more victorian in style?

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

So I found this on EBay - but alas, it is not shiny. However, I think it would be stunning. I see something with more "spread" to it like this & the white enamel would be a great look. Not sure it's edgy enough for you. I'd use the old style filament bulb in it that PB or RH sells. If this doesn't do it for you, I have another one in mind, but I think the cost of that one will be astronomical.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Fixture

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like that a lot! I think I would go for something new/retro and not literally out of a garage, but it's a very cool look. But now after visiting Rejuvenation and a couple other lighting stores yesterday, I'm more conflicted than ever. In thinking about the fact that all the main floor light fixtures are sort of antique brass, I'm worried about switching over to silver for the upstairs. Found some beautiful aged brass fixtures on Williams Sonoma, but they cost a fortune! And then I remembered that I've always wanted a Moravian star fixture like my in-laws had in their old, gorgeous house. Sigh... It's a good thing I have to go back to work tomorrow and get my mind on something else.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I am not opposed to the aesthetic but think those may be harsh in a bedroom when viewed from the bed. If you had one over a desk or dressing area away from the bed that would be ok. I just picture it being too glaring to view when looking upward. If you found something without an exposed bulb on the bottom that looks industrial, I'd be all for it.
    BTW - Costco has the first look in very large sizes as its lighting, lol....

• vintagelivi
    12 years ago

I've never thought to do it, but why not? Love the concept! I did a quick google search and found this (on houzz of course! Lol) I think if you do it - you're definitely committing to the industrial chic look so go with it and have fun!

[modern bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2105) by mexico city architect Elias Kababie

• natal
    12 years ago

Pendant lights generally provide light for various functions in kitchens... not sure what that function would be in a bedroom. Wouldn't be my choice.

• kmcg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cool room you found, vintagelivi!

natal - Your comment pretty much sums up a big problem I've encountered while trying to think through this problem. What do we need the function to be? One room is an office, so that makes the answer easier, but other rooms you just need to be able to see for getting dressed, and see even better for cleaning. There's no obvious place to put a pendant in most bedrooms - or any kind of chandelier for that matter.

I did have to make a very sudden decision this week when the electricians showed up to change out our knob and tube wiring. We hadn't expected them to say that they would be happy to put new lights up, and dimmers, and whatever else - without adding to the contract price. So I raced over to Lowe's and found a few semiflush mount lights - a couple schoolhouse types, and one with a clear glass bell-shaped shade with an old-fashioned Edison bulb. This one is a good test of how far hubby can go with an edgy look :) They are all looking okay for now, but I have to give this more thought for the other rooms. The most exciting part was that I got a light installed in my small walk-in closet. Finally, I can see what is in there!

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I wanted to let you know that if you haven't explored Rejuvenation very much, they offer different finishes & shade colors for several styles. (Love the cloth cord styles!!!) They also have some awesome rewired/refurbished antique fixtures.

But "straight out of the barn" is EXACTLY how I'm gonna go (rewired of course) !!!

Also, check out Barn Light Electric & Factory20.

As for the pendant dilemma, I think the look would be GREAT, & let's face it...I don't think I'd have an overhead light on while I'm in bed. It would mostly for task type lighting such as cleaning etc.

So while we're on the subject, what other lighting will you have in the bedroom???

As for finishes, it's okay to combine finishes now in the home, & I find that to be especially true for bedrooms.

I'm glad you found at least a temporary fixture to put up while you make a more permanent decision.

~Jeana

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County