SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renae_hardt

Help! Need advice on exterior colors

Renae Hardt
10 years ago

Building my "forever home" ... 6 months ago had no clue I'd even be building a home, let a home I'd most likely be living in the rest of my life. The pressure is a bit much somedays. We are building a similar rendition of Kensington Park by Frank Betz. It has a Craftman feel to it and I'd like to throw a little "beach cottage" in there as well. We will be using man made stone on parts of the front (I'm guessing ledgestone at this point but I'm not married to it and can still change if I want), and vinyl siding. I know, I know...I've discovered there is a very real hate out there for vinyl siding (had no clue) but its what we can afford at this point.

I am OBSESSING about the vinyl siding. I have no clue what to go with. Do I go with the safe suburbia beige-y color or something bolder? I live in Illinois.Our home will sit on a beautiful piece of land, kind of on a bluff, with lots of timber on 2 sides and bean/corn/wheat fields on the other 2 sides. So no neighbors or anything. I can do what I want.

Been debating for sometime on Sable Brown (combination of the vinyl shakes and 4" lapboard) and lots of bright white (or maybe creamy white) trim. We will have a Craftsman front door I will also stain some color (not sure yet but I won't paint it I don't think). There are also a few eyebrows on the house that we will use steel roofing on (totally at a loss as to what color that should be). Considering Certainteed driftwood or weatherwood for the shingles.

I'm worried! Is it too dark? Will I get tired of this color? Will it fade into a horrible splotchy mess with the sun?

I plan to do my interior with lots of light earthy colors. We have a ton of windows and I love brightness. Thought that might be a striking contrast with the dark exterior?

I've also considered granite gray, sterling gray, seagrass, and natural clay as alternative colors. Also thought of doing combination and making the lapboard one color and then the shakes a different color. My husband really likes the grays. I just don't know! Any guidance is much appreciated as I am about to go crazy trying to figure it all out. :)

Here is a link to the original house & picture below: http://www.frankbetz.com/homeplans/plan_info.html?pn=3910

Comments (3)