SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Ottoman is here. Shelf or not? Move wing chair location?

User
13 years ago

It arrived with no damage, yay. You should've seen me trying to get an awkward 70 some lb. box into the house myself. I wasn't waiting for DH to get home. The one leather corner isn't folded right but it's not really noticeable. It's very heavy/sturdy.

**Important room notes:

Want to replace to something less fussy/formal: the white round lamp with crystals, the wing chair (something darker and bigger. everything is dark on one side of the room & it's even worse with the ottoman now), the half table along the wall will be leaving and replaced with either some type of book shelf or sofa table.

I have a large woven basket coming that will hold blankets and replace the cat bed that doesn't get any use. (It's a Christmas present so I have to wait).

I want to add a woven tray to the ottoman for the remotes.

Art -I need to get some more of it but I don't want to move anything around until I have a better game plan.

We'll replace the carpet to wood at some point.**

What do you think of the ottoman? The shelf is optional. I actually like it both ways.

Here's without. Makes it a little shorter.

{{gwi:1843811}}

{{gwi:1843812}}

{{gwi:1843813}}

{{gwi:1843814}}

{{gwi:1843815}}

With the shelf.

{{gwi:1843816}}

{{gwi:1843817}}

{{gwi:1843818}}

{{gwi:1843819}}

{{gwi:1843820}}

I'm not going to use this basket but pretend there's a more stylish one there.

{{gwi:1843821}}

I'm happy with the quality. When I am tired of it someday it will be very easy to recover. It has a nice base.

Sylvester was hanging out on the bottom shelf for a bit but the cats don't seem very interested.

{{gwi:1843822}}

{{gwi:1843823}}

OR- until I can replace the wing chair does this arrangement look better? It eliminates a tv viewing seat but we don't have kids yet and we could always move the chair if we had to when company came over.

{{gwi:1843824}}

{{gwi:1843825}}

If you've followed any of my threads about this room this is pretty much the way the arrangement with the couch, loveseat, and e.stand need to be for now because of the sizes.

Comments (52)

• loribee
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cat and I agree...SHELF! Love it- very cozy....
    I'm nervous about that basket scratching the leather. Should you drape the throw over the otto and then put the basket on that?!?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm very happy with it.

The shelf's on for now.

Kmcg - You think I should get a leather tray?

Lori - I have to admit I thought of that too. :) I just had it there for the picture to get an idea of how something would look on top. It's not there anymore! The cats still haven't messed with it but I'm going to cover it while we're not home tonight.

What do you guys think of the wing chair placement?

• Related Discussions

Eames chair/ottoman

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks Pal - I got the ottoman but the chair wouldn't fit (for some reason forgot to cancel it when I canceled the chair after doing layout on graph paper - prob. b/c I had seen it later and ordered it separately from the other pieces). I did see a Mission style recliner (don't know manufacturer) in local furniture while out table-hunting last week, didn't see to work and it was $1010. I mentioned it to salesperson, she said they'd just gotten it in (though it had a Sold ticket on it that had been scribbled over so maybe someone else thought it wouldn't recline either?), often mechanisms are strapped down for shipping. Maybe I'll take DH to see it this w/e, but I need to get rid of a wing chair and ottoman in our BR, move my Goodwill silk moire chair out of the LR, and the coffee table I'm not going to use out too so we can *fit* a recliner. DH refuses to sit in the GW chair, and I will only let him sit on the sofa if he takes his Blackberry off (already scratched the wall with it moving coffee table in) so he just lies on the floor! Do you think dark brown (almost black) leather on the Morris chair would look OK with the existing furniture? It had dark "oak" (ash?) stained frame that looked to be fairly close to the "chocolate cherry" (half Spanish Oak, half Red Mahogany Old Masters stain) on the rest of the furniture.
    ...See More

Rug and ottoman

Q

Comments (150)
    Shee, do you really want an ottoman? Don't get me wrong, I think most of them are very pretty, but I also find them to be a fad right now. I don't see too much wood in your house at all. Have you thought about an old fashioned coffee table? It would cost next to nothing compared to an ottoman. And they're more versatile also. You can soften the looks of coffee tables by adding doilys, table runners, toppers..in all sorts of fabric and prints. I doubt I'll ever get rid of mine, even though the top is getting some wear and tear, it adds to the charm. And it's great to plop the ole feet on!
    ...See More

Having trouble pinning down my future kitchen location and shape!

Q

Comments (9)
    Welcome! First, have you checked out the "Building A Home" forum? There are quite a few very knowledgeable people there who can help you with the overall design of your future home - they have a lot of insight into what makes a good layout - flow, sight lines, siting the home, etc. These people are architects and other knowledgeable people. I strongly recommend going there first. Building A Home: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/build Then, once you've decided where each room will go and a general layout of each room, come back here for detailed Kitchen design work. (Even they will tell you to come here for the Kitchen!) . In the meantime, we have a Layout Help FAQ that discusses the information that we need from you to help you get the best Kitchen for you and your family. How do I ask for Layout Help and what information should I include? http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2767033/how-do-i-ask-for-layout-help-and-what-information-should-i-include We also have a "New to Kitchens/Read Me" thread that may be useful. It contains a lot of other information, including links to Best Practices/Good Design Guidelines for Kitchens. New to Kitchens? Read Me First! http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4306041/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first . Even if you decide not to use the Building A Home Forum, the Layout Help FAQ and Read Me thread will still help us help you with the Kitchen - including where to put it and what design. Don't lock yourself into just the designs you posted above - there may be other ideas you haven't thought of. So, post a full-floor layout and your answers to the questions in the Layout Help FAQ and we will see what we can do!
    ...See More

High Country Roses has moved. Roses love the new location!

Q

Comments (57)
    Vaporvac, I would love it if you could come. But there aren't any other rose aficionados there. I brought Oranges N Lemons and Sally Holmes last year and there weren't really any takers. The Oranges N Lemons went in the free for all at the end where you just grab whats left but I brought the Sally Holmes home. This year I didn't bring the Gourmet Popcorn I gave away because we hadn't dug it up yet. Instead I advertised it on Nextdoor so someone could research it and really want it. If I thought there would be any interest we would have made more of an effort to get it dug up. In terms of timing they are decided upon a few weeks in advance based on the schedule of the person volunteering to host. BTW, my other Oranges N Lemons I tried to propagate died over the winter in our basement but the Sally Holmes appears to have hung on. It showed a small amount of new growth this spring but is back in the basement due to bad weather. I don't yet know where I will put it if I keep it. The Oranges N Lemons in the yard showed great new growth a month ago but then got badly shredded by the hail. Right now it is looking iffy if it makes it with barely any green on it's little stub of a self. I think if it doesn't I won't replace it with another. We just have bad juju with that rose. First it gets run over with a garden cart the same day it goes in the ground, then the rooting portion dies due to neglect when my mom forgot to water the basement plants while we were on vacation. And now it gets hammered by hail.
    ...See More
  • les917
    13 years ago

I think it needs the shelf for height - otherwise it looks too low for the seating pieces.

Personally, I would like to see it turned the other way, so that the larger seating gets the longer side of the ottoman.

Glad it worked out so well for you, and that it arrived safe and sound!

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

I love the wing chair placement, it's perfect.
    ... and love the shelf on the ottomon.
    the shelf is handy for magazines and a tray or
    baskets for the remotes.

I would like to see the ottomon the other way -- facing the big sofa instead of facing the love seat.

A nice wicker tay would look good on top of the ottomon. You can get a piece of plexi-glass cut for the inside of the tray so that it can hold drinks.

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

I'm with Les in thinking it needs the height that you get when you add the tray. But I'm also wondering why you can't also achieve that by using the bottom of leg (as you did with the shelf), but without the shelf. Isn't the leg separate from the shelf? I do like the shelf fine, and think the ottoman looks great in your space--just wanted to provide another option for you.

Also I've had good success in gluing a piece of felt to the bottom of a basket that I don't want to scratch things it will be placed on top of...so you might try that if you stick with your basket type tray for the ottoman.

You've done such a great job in making your house a home!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Oh, yeah! its great, and I agree with Sylvester- the shelf adds a lot besides a hidey place.
    I also think the chair looks great- looks like you are ready for company!

• User
    13 years ago

I kept going back to O to see it. Was wondering if/when it would get to you and how you like it. It looks wonderful in your room. My vote is with the shelf but no remotes/basket on the top. Put the basket/remotes on the shelf. Beautiful!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sujafr - Oh yeah, I didn't think of that but that's probably what you're suppose to do. It's a 1/2" shorter than it would be with the shelf. Anyone like this better? It slides easier without the shelf. But that's not really a big deal to me either way.
    {{gwi:1843826}}
    {{gwi:1843827}}

With the shelf again, here's some shots of the ottoman turned and centered with the couch.
    {{gwi:1550739}}
    {{gwi:1843828}}
    {{gwi:1843829}}
    {{gwi:1843830}}
    {{gwi:1843831}}

When you guys are saying you like the wing chair do you mean the original way or with it in the corner?

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Shee, it's so much nicer than I thought it would be! I love it! It will come in handy if you need extra seating.

I prefer it with the tray. It's a great place to put your books and magazines. And of course Kitty has already voted. lol.

I also like how the chair and table are situated. I really like that lamp!

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Just mentioning the tray in Target because it was so big and the size would be perfect. It was a darker leather, but it probably wouldn't bother me. One more thing for the room...can you stack the two prints on either side of your window on the right side of the EC? I know, I know, I just opened up a can of worms!!! Looking good!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

C'mon guys you're not being specific.. :) which place do you like wing chair?
    Oakley - Do you mean the skinny dark lamp? That one was from JCP.

Kmcg - You mean stack two prints where on the wall with the window, where the floral prints are? I'm honestly thinking of moving the floral prints to the bedroom to use on each side of the bed with two old landscape paintings. I've been trying to figure out where I should place art in the LR so I at least have an idea. I'd like to stack the hunt prints together. They'd probably work over the 1/2 table but since I'm getting rid of it I didn't bother.

We ended up with the first kitty scratches last night! Mossimo tried to jump up and it must have been slippery or he misjudged. You can see where the front and back claws were. It's towards the side and they're not too bad. I covered it before we went to bed, lol! I need to just get over it because am I going to cover it every time we're not here? What about when my friends' two little ball of energy kids come over? Am I going to try and cover it then? Hide it? LOL no. The first character marks are always the worst right?

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Can't help you with furniture placement, but just wanted to say I couldn't be more excited if that ottoman had arrived at my house. We've all followed your struggles with with this - YOU DID GOOD, GIRL! IT's amazing how much class one ottoman can add to a room.

As someone mentioned above, whatever type of tray you go with, they make all kinds of little stick on corky or felt pieces for the bottoms of accessories to prevent scratches.
    I kind of like the idea of a material other than leather, i.e. wood, wicker, etc.

Tuesday

• carolfm
    13 years ago

Love the ottoman, like it with the shelf, like the first arrangement with the chair moved closer.

Carol

• busybee3
    13 years ago

like the ottoman! like the shelf---looks good(with added ht) both ways, but i think the shelf would be soooo handy- just for keeping the future tray on when you have your feet up even!
    you'll get to be a touchup expert with the leather!
    don't know how much you like or how special the white and crystal lamp is(and can't see it well), but you could really change the look of it drastically with a different shade. your current shade is very proper...a silk drum shade or something could totally change it's look.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

I'll be the voice of dissention here ;o) I like it without the shelf and with the "extra" height of the added leg pieces. I'm not sure why, but I feel the shelf makes the ottoman look disjointed somehow, almost like there are two distinctly different pieces stuck together. I like the simplicity of the ottoman sans shelf. To me, it looks more refined.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

I like the ottoman without the shelf.
    My problem with the room is where the tv stand is. I think it should be on the wall opposite the windows, the wing chair and the little table should be moved over to where the TV stand was moving it in a bit so it feels more like it's part of the conversation group.
    The wall behind the loveseat needs a large piece of art work.
    Where the Tv stand was I'd look for a sofa table or dresser and another large art piece to help fill in. Maybe another set of lamps flanking a large art piece.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Busybee - I agree that shade doesn't quite cut it. I like to replace that lamp. I found it for $4 at the thrift store so I'm ok with parting. The other lamp is kind of formal too but it's less than 2 years old and the price was a wee bit more, iykwim. Maybe something like this to replace the white lamp?
    {{gwi:1835600}}
    I found two other black drum shade lamps at Marshalls the other week. One was more gourd like but not contemporary looking. I'm thinking something fatter may be a better shape for here. I don't have those pics on this computer though. They were similar looking to the one above.

So I was thinking this morning, I honestly don't really "need" a tray. The remote could go on the table, bottom shelf, or side table. What else do you put in the things? I'm pretty sure I won't use it for drinks. I would think the could get knocked over easier there than on an end table. I will be sure to get a felt piece for the bottom though if I get one. Thanks for that tip guys. I was originally thinking vinyl but felt is much better!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol from NY - "My problem with the room is where the tv stand is. I think it should be on the wall opposite the windows"
    Where the stand is currently is the only wall it fits on. I've picked this room apart and have arranged it probably 100 times over the last few years with the help and suggestions from people here. Until I part with the e.stand or the loveseat this is the best arrangements I can come up with. It's been a tough one! I appreciate the suggestions though.

• ctlane
    13 years ago

Glad you like the new ottoman. Looks great! I like it better without the shelf but with the longer legs. The legs show up more then and it doesn't look so bottom heavy.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

For all of you that like it better without the shelf; she has already bought it WITH the shelf. So it's kind of a moot point.

I think it looks very nice. Is it comfy to put your feet on?

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Yes, that looks very nice! Really adds a lot to your room with the dark rich tufted leather.

Have you tried pushing it in more to the loveseat, more ottoman like, less coffee table? Like kmcg has done with hers. I agree the long side belongs (is more complementary) on the long sofa side. That's what first struck me in the first set of pictures. Hopefully that works for you.

I like all three variations and think the shelf will look more complete when it serves its purpose of having some baskets or books or something on it. No offense kitty! He does look perfect there if he'd just stay put.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I love having the tray on my ottoman as it is more comfortable when people are over for drinks and snacks. I didn't think I needed it until we had friends over and the end tables were quite a reach for our guests and there was no place for me to put the dip and chips on when entertaining.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry, but I don't care for the ottoman in your space at all. With the heavy wood TV center and dark furniture, your space needs a large glass coffee table to give sparkle and light to the room. This looks visually very off to me. People have the mistaken idea that you can't put your feet on a coffee table or that it will scratch. We have three glass and metal coffee tables and are completely comfortable with them. I'm sorry to be negative about your new acquisition but had to be honest because you have such a nice room and it could be immeasurably more beautiful with the correct coffee table, which I feel should also be larger than what you have now. I think you would find it very practical and would be surprised how it would enhance your room. I hope I haven't hurt your feelings because I mean this only for the best.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

Shee - what a beautiful ottoman!! My two cents' worth - I like it with the "longer" legs and no shelf. Also, several have mentioned this, but I have't seen pics yet - keep the longer side of the ottoman aligned with the sofa, BUT slide it closer to the loveseat so it is equidistant from both.

I much prefer the wing chair to be in the corner with the table/lamp on the door opening side. With your accessorying, it looks perfect.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Love it with the shelf. The wingchair looks better farther back, but more useful pulled up. A woven tray would be classy, but a tan, too much of a bamboo look could be tacky. A dark wood tray would be "safe", but maybe not add anything. Ya might want to try out a few & get a vote...here @ KT?

Great job on the total look of the room!!!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I also love the ottoman without the shelf and with the longer legs. Shelf looks good too--but only if you "decorate" the base with some books, magazines and/or low wicker baskets. Like we had been discussing in your bedroom thread, decorating is a balance of aesthetics and comfort. To me, the ottoman gives you both. I've had both an ottoman and coffee table--no comparision which is most comfortable to prop the feet. An ottoman is not only a place to perch your feet, but an overflow place for a guest to sit. Not to mention I love the quality of the leather and the tufting. Adding a wicker tray with some felting on the base will add that nice, layered, organic touch that your room had been lacking before. I was also in favor of the orientation the way you had it first, simply because I can see you and your DH snuggling together on the loveseat, propping your feet up and watching TV. As for the wingchair, I prefer it the second way as it breaks up the all wood look.

• User
    13 years ago

I prefer the ottoman without the shelf.

I do like the ottoman but to be honest, I think the size is too small for the space you have created with the two large pieces of furniture aligned to almost look like a sectional. I would like to see the loveseat on the wall opposite the couch and put the wingchair and maybe another chair with a small table between to replace the loveseat. This way the ottoman would be used just with the sofa, which suits more its size. Also this arrangment would help distribute the large furniture around the room. Right now where you have the wingchair the area looks a bit too light visually compared to the entertainment centre and the couch/loveseat arrangement.

Hope I havent hurt your feelings..just trying to help.

I have an ottoman similar to yours without a shelf, I put a wood and glass tray on top of mine.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I like it with the shelf. It looks more substantial. I would definitely use a tray. It will help deter the cats from jumping on it.
    Dee

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate suggestions and I'm not offended but please understand this stuff has already been bought and is only a few years old. DH isn't thrilled about recycling that fast. This is also my only LR.

Happilady - The shelf came with it so it's an optional feature which is nice. And yes, it's very comfy for the feet!

Ingrid - A glass coffee table might look better but I absoultely did not want a glass or wood coffee table. Do you guys have your shoes off and your feet up? My parents had a wood one (still do) and I never found it comfortable. I didn't want glass because of fingerprints. We're also going to have kids at some point and I've heard such horror stories about kids and coffee tables. I'm not concerned about it now but that could change. Since I have nothing else leather in the room that's another reason I wanted leather. I like that later I'll have the option to recover it because of the nice wood base. I'm also trying to deformalize this room a little and I think of glass as more formal.

Spring & Betty- How's this?
    {{gwi:1843833}}
    {{gwi:1843834}}

Val - I still have the shelf on currently but I agree I need to use it if I'm going to keep it there. I have some magazines on the bottom but I'll have to try some things. The ottoman flipped the first way is more practical for us to watch tv.

Roseabbey - I agree a bigger one would be better but this was the biggest one I could find in my budget. My couch is really long so someday when we replace it hopefully it will be better in balance.
    "I would like to see the loveseat on the wall opposite the couch and put the wingchair and maybe another chair with a small table between to replace the loveseat"
    I know this room isn't visually balanced and it is driving me bonkers. I did try that before and agree it visually balances better but you can't see the tv right. Actually, I think you could right on the end if I remember correctly. So if my sister and BIL come over it makes it hard for the four of us to watch a movie comfortably. I also like to sit smack in front of the tv and that wing chair is comfy but not something I want to relax in. The set up just isn't practical for us.
    I also totally agree the wing chair is too light. Replacing that chair is on my todo list. Bronwynsmom suggested we replace the loveseat with a chair so it wouldn't stick out over the entrance. (I'm talking about the arrangement at the beginning of the thread.)

Here's some photos with the loveseat moved. I've been trying to convince myself a nice recliner would be comfy.

{{gwi:1768701}}
    {{gwi:1635640}}
    {{gwi:1635628}}

I'll have to start a thread at some point about trays. :)

If you notice above in the photos I posted for Spring and Betty, I have the wing chair flipped again today. I think with it in the corner it somehow looks better even though it's still heavy on the one side. But then there's the odd space behind the wing chair and what on earth would I do with art in that area? I guess I should probably replace the wing chair before I even think about art. Blahh, this space frustrates me.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

shee: While it may frustrate you, you are definitely making great strides towards cozy. I don't like the loveseat on opposite wall--too far away from sofa to promote conversation. When you can get it to the point that your sister and BIL can come over all have fun, watch TV, etc. you will be there--no matter what the folks on this forum say! Still vote to keep the ottoman the way you had it first. It connects more to the wingchair. So, does your DH still lay down to watch TV? He could prop himself up now against the back of the ottoman.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - Thanks, I'm glad to hear that about cozy.

"When you can get it to the point that your sister and BIL can come over all have fun, watch TV, etc. you will be there--"
    It works well now for that but I still think the room needs adjusting.

You're saying to keep the ottoman the way I had it first and keep the wingchair in the corner? Or maybe keep the wingchair on the e.stand side but not more on the wall instead of the corner?
    Like this. I moved the ottoman the original way too.
    I was just throwing that basket with blankets there to get an idea of what to do with that dark woven one I'm getting.
    {{gwi:1843835}}
    {{gwi:1843836}}

DH has been finally using the furniture more. :) If he's on the floor he's looking at magazines while on his belly. He also has a habit of laying on his back with his feet up on the couch. Like a reverse ottoman!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Yes, I like these last set of pics better. The basket really helps make the room look more balanced. Good idea. Makes we want to reach in grab a blanket and cozy up on the sofa. As for adjustments, perhaps something in the right corner of the e. center. Are you still considering a skirted table in your space? Perhaps try some configurations with that element and see how it jives with the ottoman there. It may help balance things out more on the left if you add it there.

• bettymnz4
    13 years ago

I also like your last set of photos. I think everything looks more balanced (to my eye) with the ottoman aligned with the love seat. To me it looks as if it belongs this way.

As far as the chair corner - magnifiso!!!!!!

• User
    13 years ago

adding the basket really helped in that corner. One thing I would change though is the picture. I would look for a darker thicker frame to add some more heaviness to that corner. Otherwise looks good.

PS thanks for photoshopping for me.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - That would probably help visually. I for sure wanted to use the 30" round at Christmas because tree will go on the left side of the room, I'm going to try and keep the chair for seating,sm. round end table will go out, and lg round on the other end of the couch. Looks decent in my mind anyhow. So I need to figure out what cloth. Olive green maybe? Ebay has a bunch.

Here's some mock ups. Pretend the blanket is an olive green tablecloth. :)
    With a basket near wing.
    {{gwi:1843837}}
    [IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/sheesharee/005-24.jpg[/IMG]

Without basket near wing
    {{gwi:1843838}}
    {{gwi:1843839}}

Or how about table near the corner? I think I kind of like the chair here better.
    With basket
    {{gwi:1843840}}
    {{gwi:1843841}}

Without basket by chair.
    {{gwi:1843842}}
    {{gwi:1843843}}

With the basket (remember is will be dark brown woven) near the wingchair I feel it appears I'm just lining items up. Boom, boom, boom.

What's spun polyester like? See link.

Ballard has them but they're more expensive. They're still expensive on ebay. Chocolate twill? Don't want to do burlap because of the cats. Whatever I would get needs to be machine washable.
    http://www.ballarddesigns.com/96-22-terrific-tablecloth---ballard-essentials-fabrics/linens-fabrics/tablecloths/12860

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe the Hunter color?

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Can we see the room from the other angle, facing the windows. That's where the ottoman looks off, short side on long sofa. Coming from behind it looks good because it's aligned with the loveseat. I think it's just not the perfect size. Add the small basket to the bottom if the shelf is on, and something flat to the top like books and a throw for the other view, so it's more complete in checking out that angle.

How you use it most comfortably, loveseat or sofa side, is where it would be best suited.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roseabbey - You're welcome. I'm still learning but it's pretty fun/cool.

"I would look for a darker thicker frame to add some more heaviness to that corner"
    I have been thinking about matting and using a more darker, chunkier frame. I have that other hunt print above the 1/2 table I'd like to pair with this one and that frame is pretty beefy.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spring - Must have posted at the same time.

I know these don't work but here's stuff throw on top and a bakset and woven bowl for an idea.
    {{gwi:1843845}}
    {{gwi:1843847}}
    This room is viewed more from the other direction/facing the e.stand because that's where the foyer and hall is.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I think I like it best on the loveseat. It's oriented toward the etc which does makes sense since that's the main direction or axle of the room, so to speak. Typically, the long sofa would situated across from the etc, but that's not possible and you've got the short end of the ensemble that way. Not the best dimension for the long sofa but it seems maybe it would be most comfortable there, so that's what's most important. If I were on the sofa watching tv, I'd be laying down.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I also like the otoman in front of the loveseat.

Why are you going to move the half table? I think it looks great there.

Are you going to cover up the round table next to the chair? If so, I'd go for a light weight print of some sort in a different color than green. I think you need more color in your room.

One idea I can see is putting a rectangle rug in front of the entertainment center. A rug that's a bit wider and shorter than a runner. That would add color too, and you can use a table cloth from the color of the rug.

I'd put magazines and remotes on the ottoman tray instead of the basket. The basket looks cramped.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spring - Yeah, DH usually takes the couch and 95% of the time he's laying down.

Oakley - I'm actually going to give the 1/2 table my sister as a surprise when they move into their new place. I was going to look for something less fancy - sofa table or some type of book shelf for that spot.

I could probably have a tablecloth made.

You're always saying I need more color, lol. Do you mean brighter colors or different color?

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Again, I like last set of pics without the basket. The larger scale of the skirted table provides that balance, though something feels a bit off between the skirted table and the wing chair. I wouldn't worry too much about it now as I know you plan to swap out the wing chair at some point, just something to keep in mind when you get to the point of adding the club chair. Keep in mind, the Chloe chair is also sized on the small side. I do have mine paired with a drum table, but I think it's a tad smaller than your skirted table. The basket could go on other side of couch and fill in that corner. I was also wondering how the hexagon end table would look on the far end of sofa. Do you find a need to have lighting at that end and/or a place for guests to place drinks?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val -I like last set without the basket there too. I did move the basket to the far end of the couch.

I agree the there's something not quite right with wing and table. I was hoping it was just because I had a blanket as a tablecloth! :)

I compared the measurements of the Chloe chair to my wing and they're very close. The Chloe is a little bit wider but my wing is taller. I might need to look for a club.

We honestly don't need a table at that far end of the sofa. It could come in handy for drinks if company was over. Do you think that would just add the weight problem of the right side of the room?

What color do you think for a tablecloth?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to clarify, you like the last set of pics from the Sun, Oct 31, 10 at 11:04 post?

And here's a shot with the pie crust table at the end of the couch. I also move the wing and large round table down on that wall.
    The room in use, lol.
    {{gwi:1843848}}
    {{gwi:1843850}}

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Oh, it's so pretty, Shee! I like it better with the shelf for the height. And I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if you've gotten past this, but I like the arrangement in the post from Oct 30, 10 at 20:05 w/o tablecloth. I think covering or changing out the wing chair is really going to change your room, so I wouldn't worry about it too much till then. Just my .02 worth!

I hope you're loving your new ottoman!

• volvo_85
    13 years ago

Love your ottoman. Can you tell me where you found ir. Volvo

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Volvo, thanks! It's from Overstock.

Here is a link that might be useful: ottoman

• gastroc
    13 years ago

I like the wing chair in the position where it's facing more toward the couches, and away from the tv.

As for the shelf under the ottoman, I like it. I wish we had one for our ottoman.

You said you want a wicker basket atop the ottoman. Like someone else said, I'd worry about it scratching. I don't know if you have Ross, Marshalls, or HomeGoods stores near you but they have very inexpensive trays (I'm talking 7-12 bucks). We bought one originally for the dining room but once we got the ottoman we moved it to there. Here's a pic:

Hope that helps!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gastroc, Thanks for the pic! Someone suggested I add a piece of felt to the bottom of a woven type tray so I think that could work. The problem is trying to find one! I did see some wood trays that I liked but they all are solid, dark and would blend right in. The search continues. :)

• bananafana
    13 years ago

I'm really liking how it's coming along! I would keep that piecrust table over on the far side of the sofa. To me, it balances out the room and the ottoman. And it's a beautiful table too.