SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lunarocket34

Having trouble pinning down my future kitchen location and shape!

I first posted over in [Design Dilemma[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/small-island-with-small-peninsula-or-huge-island-kitchen-dsvw-vd~4680800) (DD) and someone suggested I pop on over here.

DH and I are going to build a post frame house so we can have as few or as many interior walls as we want. I'm putting up 3 photos. The first is where the kitchen last stood over in DD. I'm showing the entire living room/dining/kitchen/canning room plan.

I'm just not happy with the kitchen tucked off in the corner so I have flipped the canning room to the front of the house, the table to the back and the kitchen to the left. I like the kitchen location as it's open to the living room but now I have to deal with the hall to the bedrooms, the front door, etc. (I already tried the table to the right of the kitchen instead of the canning room but all that pantry storage had to go to the far right wall.)

The grid is 1 foot squares. I made the exterior walls black, those can't be moved. The red squares in the walls are the posts that cannot be messed with, the doors and windows can be moved around between them, but not to the far left as that's a small bedroom wall. (house is L-shaped, bedroom wing starts just to the left of the kitchen window.)

I rather like the 2 island thing, sort of, it's out of the box for me and haven't had a lot of time to think about it yet.

So I tried something like this, but it makes a long walk around from the 2 small bedroom wing.

A little more info. DH and I are the only occupants. The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are for guests which happens at Christmas. So other than using one of those rooms as my den, there isn't a lot of traffic. (laundry is over there, too.) Master bedroom door is just above the fridge. I placed the sink so it's centered on the front window.

Should I go back to the 2 island plan but put the sink island up on the wall? So many options, I think often new construction is so much harder to figure out than remodelling! (we've done both before.)

So, what do you think?

Comments (9)