SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gilmoregal

Replacing All Door Knobs - ORB or Antique Brass? Help!

gilmoregal
12 years ago

We are in the middle of having some long overdue painting and updates made to our home, built in 1965. The woodwork -medium golden brown - will be painted white. BM Simply White throughout most of the house, and a slightly creamier shade (Behr Divine Pleasure) in the kitchen. Walls in most rooms will be SW Softer Tan (75%).

In addition to painting, we are updating the kitchen and both bathrooms, replacing carpet, light fixtures, window treatments, etc. We also need to replace all the door knobs (brass), but I am having a hard time deciding whether to go with oil-rubbed bronze or antique brass. The style of the house and our decorating taste is very traditional, and we like warm colors and metals. I will use ORB cabinet hardware in the kitchen, mainly because I think it will look best with the new laminate countertops. But I am not sure whether to carry it through the rest of the house (excluding bathrooms which will have chrome and nickel fixtures.) I understand that antique brass finishes are making a comeback, and I actually like them. But there is a good chance that DH's job will require us to move in 2-3 years, so I wonder if potential buyers might prefer the oil-rubbed bronze. On the other hand, I wonder if ORB is a fading trend and also if the contrast between Simply White doors and ORB knobs would be too stark.

The contractors started over a month ago, and the painters were prepping all last week, so the house is a wreck. I am so tired from packing up the contents of every closet, cupboard, and drawer (so the interiors can be painted) that my ability to make even simple decisions is diminishing by the day. Choosing a doorknob finish shouldn't be hard, but I think I've 'hit the wall'. So if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it! Thanks.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths