SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

CL headboard possibility - what do you think?

User
15 years ago

We really need a headboard! We actually bought one from a furniture store shortly after we moved into the house, but sadly had to send it back with the delivery guys when we found there was no earthly way to get it up the stairs. (Our bedroom is in converted attic space, and the stairwell leading up has a really tight turn at the top. There's no getting anything through the windows up there either, so that's not an option.)

Current configuration (no headboard):

{{!gwi}}

Anyway, today I came across this one on Craig's List, and am thinking it might work -- it's not quite as tall/bulky as the one we had to send back.

{{!gwi}}

I'm thinking it might work to turn the bed so that it's in front of the window, between the bookcases. Doing this would enable us to more easily view the tv that we're presently having to roll over on our left sides to view (ugh), and having a headboard would allow us to prop both ourselves and our pillows up without falling off the head of the bed! My only concern would be placing the bed in front of that window unit, which we must keep. I think we may be able to pull the bed out slightly from the window, float it a bit in that space, and aim the vent of the A/C upwards so that it's not blowing directly at the back of the headboard.

I've thought about a brass or iron headboard for this space, but I've had a brass bed in the past, and they just aren't comfy to prop up against. Other woods seem to stick out, but this knotty pine would probably more or less just blend into the rest of the wood in the space.

The seller is asking $95 for this king-sized headboard. It's Broyhill and he says it's in excellent condition. Do you think that's a fair price? Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Comments (31)

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I would be tempted to try an iron headboard, vintage of course. It would be a relief from all the wood (which is lovely), and would also let the light and air circulate (when pillows were down, anyway). Just a thought. I too have often thought about pulling the bed out toward the middle of the room. Why do we feel the need to shove them against the wall?

Good luck finding something that fits upstairs. I know what that's like!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Jen I can TOTALLY see that! Sometimes too much of a good thing is too much and sometimes it's the only way to go - I think the wood in that piece works. How does the bed width do in that space - does it fit without overhanging the shelves at all? I think if you hold the headboard out from the AC and find a way to direct the air flow up and over it, you'll be fine, I think. How tall is the headboard? Have you measured to see how high up it comes on the window? I think the price is fair if it's in excellent condition, but you know that ol' bargaining gene is hard to suppress;-) Once you see it you'll know if you should hand over $95 or offer less.

• Related Discussions

How to make headboard 'taller'?..want to re-do this..

Q

Comments (12)
    In various homes and various bedrooms over 40+ years, I've never bothered to attach the headboard to the bedframe. Of course, all the headboards are held upright by the wall behind them and the mattresses on the bedframes in front of them, but they've not been a problem. I've had to raise some of them because of the newer and taller mattresses, but you can use inexpensive bed risers to raise the height of the headboard. Helene
    ...See More

HELP! King Bed Headboard (do I need the footboard)?

Q

Comments (9)
    I forgot to add ONE HUGE DETAIL!!! The mattress height from the top of the mattress to the floor is 29" with a steel frame that is 8" from the floor. Boxspring is 9", mattress is 12." So the bottom of the bottom of the mattress sits 8" from the floor. Most complete beds with a head and footboard are 10+" from the bottom of the boxspring. I would be adding at least two additionalinches to the bed height! That is my DILEMMA! This is what happens when I peruse the forum prior to having my morning coffee!!! Sorry I inadvertently left out this big detail. That is the reason I do not think I can use a foot-board. I don't want a step stool (or ladder -haha) to get into the bed! I know the style of bed I want, but the challenges lies in trying to find that bed with a frame that is less than 10" from the floor.
    ...See More

Do you have an upholstered headboard that you love?

Q

Comments (17)
    Did you check Ballarddesigns.com? They have them and you can choose one of their fabrics. They may even let you supply your own fabric, not sure. I had a floral one made once. I had the fabric and I took it to an upholsterer and he made it the shape and style I wanted. The shape of mine was kind of simple, but I had the fabric ruched across the top and sides with solid piping and then the fabric was set flat across the front, no tufts.
    ...See More

Yet another CL possibility: What do you think?

Q

Comments (17)
    Prices really vary - I live near one of the poorest counties in PA, and have paid about $100 for good solid wood dressers at "goodwill" type places. Both I had to have stripped, but one was a mission-style solid oak, the other solid maple with a pretty, curvy front. If you are near enough a big city where you get "dealers" stopping by, that keeps prices on good stuff from going rock-bottom. You'd have to check out that piece well in person because its painted - and I agree with others to start around $50. But I do think its cute - you'd have to have a place for it though. I don't even think you can get a new dresser at Target for even close to $100.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! Bungalow_house, I agree that an iron bed would be lovely in the space -- I keep envisioning one with lots of curlicues, maybe in a combination of black, white and brass! But, I'll admit that I'm getting impatient about finding a headboard that will work, and when I saw the pine one, I thought, "yeah!"

Dlm, I'm not sure how much (if any) it would overhang the bookshelves -- I'm thinking if it does at all, it'll just be by a couple of inches at most. I'll have to measure the space when I get home this evening to be sure. I'm not even 100% certain that we could get the thing up the stairs, and I'm not quite sure how to go about even being able to tell (hold a tape measure out to 81-1'4", as taut as humanly possible, and see if it goes? LOL!). It's 51" tall.

I think more than anything, I'm just ready for a change where this bed and its configuration are concerned. You guys ever get that itch? ;-)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Jen, the way my luck is running, I'm almost afraid to open my mouth, lol.

You have many possibilities here. I love your room and am a big fan of wood. You can go with a headboard like that and blend it all in, you could go for an upholstered one that would be comfy and provide a contrast or, as others have mentioned, iron.

One more idea would be to just go without. I remember my best sleeping being on vacation, at a cabin up north, with a bed that had no headboard and I was able to stretch my arms out.

I think it depends on what style you really want.

• msrose
    15 years ago

I really like bungalow's idea of an iron bead. I think the CL headboard looks too much like the rest of the wood in the room and won't stand out.

Laurie

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Auntjen, I have to say I agree with Bungalow as well, an iron bed would be really be nice in your room. Be patient, you will find one soon. BTW, not to get off topic but how is Tristan doing? Hope all is well with him and your family.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I like the headboard and if I were you would get it if you like it, but most definitely would not move the bed then. A see-through headboard like brass would be fine in front of a window but I think a solid-wood one might look odd. Incidentally, I like your bed where it is, it looks very cozy there, but I understand the desire for change.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

I just dropped by to snoop around your bedroom again. I like it so much I just take any opening to look. :-) Whatever you decide, I am sure it will look great. I think either/or would work well.

• valzone5
    15 years ago

I can see why you'd be concerned about placing the headboard in front of the a/c unit. A/c makes me ache when it blows on or around me. Do you get affected by the cold air blowing on you?

I think your bedroom is just perfect as is. Do you *really* need a headboard?

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Pretty headboard, but I think it would be wood overload in that room.

• maddielee
    15 years ago

Would you consider getting the pine headboard and painting it black?

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

Auntjen - We have that headboard, but it's queensize, so it only has one arch. As you know, Broyhill is not exactly a "premiere" company, but our headboard, and the matching (perfectly plain) bureau, are like new after 18 years, and I love it. IMO it would look fine in front of the window, IF you can solve the AC issue. Its slightly curvy country French flair would look good beneath the wood valance. I wouldn't paint it, though, as the finish is quite nice.

I do like the placement of your bed now, though.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Your bedroom is really lovely but, frankly, that headboard is just too much added wood in your room. I don't think the solution is to put the bed in front of the window unit either. It's obviously there to provide air conditioning and blocking it at all would be a big mistake, in my mind. I feel your frustration at being limited by the stair problem. IMHO, what I think would look best would be a padded headboard with a carved wood or iron edge. The juxtaposition against the wood walls would be lovely . . . not to mention, comfortable! Can you find one that will fit up those stairs? Even one in kind of bad shape would look great painted white and can be easily reupholstered.
    Lynn

• texashottie
    15 years ago

AJ, what about pushing your bed into that recessed arch that is currently at the right of the picture? Will it fit?

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Confess I haven't yet read all the replies, but my first reaction for your oh-so-cozy room was for an iron headboard. The wood will just melt into the (gorgeous) knotty pine surroundings, IMO. I have a "brass" bed and with only 2 pillows to lean upon I never feel the iron.I did have this worry, too, before getting the bed. Would the bed fit catty-corner between the window and the alcove? The bookcase could serve as a bedside table, as well? Hard to say from a pic. I do love this room and think it should be kept light and airy, for the most part. I see it in all white, with your red spread/quilt on the bottom in winter, as it is now. Love it:>)

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I also would prefer to see an iron bed in this room, but comfort is also very important as I believe you mentioned before you like to read in bed. The price is really very good--and for that price, I'd consider painting it--as it would blend in too much with the walls you have now. Perhaps something with a glaze or rubbed on/through finish.

• creekylis
    15 years ago

Here are a couple of possibilities for you from Sears.com... there are many, many others as well. I was searching for an iron one that I know they sell in their stores. I have had it for many years, love it, and it still looks great. Couldn't find in online...

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so very much for the input and suggestions! Creekylis, I love those headboards -- I actually think an upholstered headboard would bring a nice, different dimension to the room. But (and here's the point where I try not to cry!), we just cannot get a headboard up those stairs. DH and I took another good hard look at it on Friday night, and it's just not possible. The staircase is so narrow, and the way it twists at the top of the stairs to lead into the room makes for an extremely tight angle for moving furniture up there. I'm not sure if any previous owner of this house ever had a headboard up there. Well, maybe a twin size, but I doubt anyone ever got one larger than that up there.

I'm so bummed. But am heartened that some of you think it looks ok as it is, without a headboard. I think sometimes I try to fight too hard against the quirks of this little old place -- the quirks that I claim give this place its character also make me wanna rip my hair out at times!

Anyway ... I'm going to go back to trying to love it "as is." Especially since I don't have much of a choice, unless I can find me a way to build a headboard from raw materials that I can haul up the staircase in pieces.

• kgwlisa
    15 years ago

Have you actually considered making a headboard out of two twin sized matching headboards?

I looked forever for a headboard that was low enough for our short wall, open enough that the cats could get to the window behind but solid enough that we could lean pillows against it. Figure out how to make all of THAT work. What I ended up with turned out to be two twins bolted together. I didn't even realize it until it arrived.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Exactly my thought too! Try to get two twin headboards -- and simply latch them together. Or perhaps a piano-type hinge between the two sections? Or could you "build" a headboard up there in the room?

I do love the idea of switching the position of the bed -- just for a change!

• bac717
    15 years ago

I'm just curious -- if you can't get a headboard up the stairs, how did you ever get the mattress and boxspring up there?

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Jen, It's not right for your room. I have a wicker and iron one and love it. Either Iron or wicker, or wicker and iron together would be nice.
    If you come across a wood one you like, then maybe you can paint it.
    Joann

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

KGWLISA,
    I love your lamps, really nice room.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

How about this: a folding screen of whatever type strikes your fancy. I can see a lattice type for airiness, either cottage or Asian style. Folded, it would fit your narrow stairway. Couldn't lean on it, though, for reading in bed.
    And how DID you get the mattress up there?

• creekylis
    15 years ago

AuntJen...just a quick note... those headboards I posted are unassembled... the legs, etc, are put on on site. Couldn't you get it up the stairs by turning it on end? I know it's frustrating... but there is usually a way if you think outside the box.

Good luck!

• texashottie
    15 years ago

I agree, I don't think that the CL headboard is right. It is too much of the same wood tone.

It looks like the recessed arch on the right side of your bed is where your bed is supposed to go. Am I wrong?

I would rather see you repurpose something and do a cool headboard. I've seen everything from iron gates to old doors to folding screens to tapestries hung over the bed. Maybe you can keep your eyes peeled for an idea that means something to you or from one of your Mexican travels.

It's a pretty room as is.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Just chiming in to join dlm -- I can see something like the CL headboard working also. I don't think the headboard needs to contrast. Love those types of rooms, with all that paneling and similar tones of wood in furnishings also. One of my favorite styles : )

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, thanks again for the input!

Oh, and before I forget -- Deborahnj, little Tristan is doing beautifully! He's growing and thriving and is a cute little butterbean of a baby. Thank you for asking! :-)

I know it sounds unbelievable that we could get a king mattress up the stairs, but not a headboard. Well, that's because a mattress bends! Not so with a headboard! And no, the little niche that you see just to the right of the bed is not a full size that you could fit a bed within. It's just a little bump-in that houses a small closet:
    {{!gwi}}

I've actually looked on Craig's List for a pair of twin headboards that we could make work, but haven't found anything yet. I'll keep searching, though -- eventually something is bound to pop up!

Thanks again for the wonderfully creative ideas! You've all given me a few more options to chew on. :-)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Love that corner and the chair and pillows together. More importantly, is that one of the lucky little kittens from next door all growed up already???

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Squirrel! Actually, all but one of our cats are "from next door", as the Idiot Neighbor began abandoning first the litter of tabby cats that he brought home, when his wife and children were still living with him. And when they began seeking warmth and food on our front porch, we took them in one by one. That's Molly, who is about 4 years old now. She's such a dear. She's my snuggler -- she likes to curl up in a certain way right next to me, and she just purrs and purrs. What a sweetie. :-)

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

KGWLisa...I just wanted to say that I love folks who consider their pets' needs and wants into their decorating.

Your ...a headboard low enough for our short wall, open enough that the cats could get to the window, but solid enough to lean pillows against... comment warmed my heart!