SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Hey CL shoppers! Odd ad wordage trends in your area? Share 4 fun

jterrilynn
12 years ago

Hi, as a few of you know by some of my sons deal shopping drama posts I am on a mission to decorate his whole down stairs on a dime. I think I'm getting burnt out though lol. Whenever I see posts started with the below headings I already have a vision of what the ad will say. Have you noticed CL wordage trends in your area and how they relate to certain timeframes or styles?

Here are mine. (Note: I'm not knocking furniture styles, just noting what words seem to go with certain styles and years.)

Shabby chic Style = very bad white paint job

Gorgeous = over priced rectangular glass dining table w/outrageous base shape and outdated upholstery on parsons chairs. Or they are from or live near Boca where they say gorgeous a lot.

High quality = very often Rooms to Go, owned by first time new furniture buyers.

High end = white washed furniture from the 1991.

Check this out = dealer posting the furniture for sale in the by owner section.

Unique table and chairs = usually an octagon shaped w/chairs on wheels. Sometimes kinda cool except they are asking what they paid for it in 1983.

Hurry won't last = castle size, huge, grossly ornate furniture from 2006 when everyone thought they were real estate rich.

Fabulous = sometimes fabulous really is (if you have the money), but if you had that much money would you shop on CL? Wouldn't you go somewhere you could put it on a card and have it delivered? Do people keep a few thousand cash lying around for a CL buy?

Stunning = stunning could be anything but is often French country cottage; "stunning" items are usually from the nineties or early 2000's. Often they are in the upper medium quality with owners pricing so high that it leads one to believe they don't really want to part with it.

Must go ASAP = (this one has three meanings) owner has tried to sell it all previously but no one wanted the Ikea pieces after they had already been passed back and forth between five or six college students over the years. Or, it's filthy furniture that smells of week old underwear, socks and an untrained dog. Or, a sad story where someone loses their home.

That's it! I am getting burnt out with my CL shopping and there is no doubt.

I need a laugh! CL story or pictures? Share for fun?

Comments (73)