SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

June pics. please share some of your trees, sm. or lg. with us:-)

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

Hello. all.

I wanted to just share a couple of pictures for you for the month of June. It finally stopped raining and the sun just popped out for who knows how long.

It's time to liven up this place and see how everyone's trees are doing, small or large, in-ground or potted. Please share with us some of your trees.

Hoping everyone is enjoying their summer:-)

To start, some rooted cuttings...

{{gwi:590253}}

{{gwi:590254}}

{{gwi:590256}}

{{gwi:590257}}

Here are my Orange trees and others.

{{gwi:590258}}

{{gwi:590259}}

Yes, a 'Meyer Lemon' finally doing good for me, in a plastic pot.lol

{{gwi:590260}}

{{gwi:590261}}

{{gwi:590263}}

{{gwi:590267}}

{{gwi:590269}}

{{gwi:590272}}

Comments (67)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mike...WOW!!!!

Your Citrus are so big, lush and vivid green. I love the Standard.
    How long have you had that particular Orange tree?

Your citrus cuttings are doing fantastic. How on earth did you root them?

I know for a fact, your citrus are kept in your home and work place, (not the green house.)

Your flowering plants are doing exceptional, too. I love each and every one.

Regarding your Chinese Perfume plant, 'upper pic,' is it planted in the ground near your pond?

Mike, knowing you love variegated plants, :) do you have a variegated citrus?

Love your Epi flowers, too. Any fragrant?

My mystery Epi. Bought this, 'below' Epi at a garage sale 1994/5. The first five years it didn't bloom. Around 2000, it got its first flower.
    The strange thing is 2011 and the beginning of 2012 blooms were different than previous years and June blooms. Can you figure it out?

2011-early 2012

{{gwi:88405}}

June 2012..

{{gwi:590292}}

Flowers open at night, but flowers differ. Same plant. Night Blooming Orchid Cactus.
    Do you know why and how this happened?

Anyway, Mike, your plants are exceptional!!

John, you're very lucky living in a tropical paradise with a LOT of land. Very nice orchard.

Hey Andrew.

So, you're now growing Plumeria's, too? lol. Where do plants go?????

No pics?
    I remember when you bought a citrus tree, hauling it home in your car..lol. Do you recall?

About Plumerais. I bought two Plumerias. One was a cane in a bag from HI, the second arrived bare-root from Thailand.
    Potted both Feb or Mar 2012.
    My question...should they go outside? Both are just starting to leaf out.

Don't laugh, now..lol

{{gwi:590293}}

P. 'Arrow'

{{gwi:590295}}

Cane/Cutting of first Plumeria

{{gwi:590298}}

Pics were taken Apr and May 2012, so there's a little more growth. They're in south windows, but not getting too much sun. What are their needs?

Oh, how are you doing? lol.

Hey Josh, no pics??? :)

Hi Nancy..That is the widest Citrus I've ever seen! :) It's beautiful, too.

Does Neem kill CLM? Thank God, none of my citrus arrived with those awful critters. All but one citrus are from Fl, so after learning CLM was a problem in FL, I thought one of my trees would arrive w/LM'ers and contaminate the others.
    Perhaps they'd die in my climate?

Nancy, I don't know anything about growing Citrus in Fl or in-ground. Do citrus bloom once a year?

Once your citrus blooms, it will have a zillion flowers. I want to see a pic when it does.

Mike, once again, your plants are gorgeous. Wish I had a citrus as lovely as your Orange Tree in the white pot. It's amazing.

Haven't been taking many citrus pics, but here's my Mandarin. Needs a drink.

{{gwi:590299}}

Gotta take more pics. Been busy repotting and hauling plants outside the last nine days..So tired....

Josh, although it's no show plant, lol, remember this?

{{gwi:590301}}

Should it go in-ground or kept in its pot?

Toni

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Toni! NICE Epi's and Plants! Good luck on your Plumeria (I've never tried growing)those before so I have no advise,lol...

• Related Discussions

Please share pics of houseplants summering outside. Some of mine)

Q

Comments (77)
    Hi Jeff, I have posted that one before, Haworthia pygmaea f. crystallina, to the best of my knowledge, but this is the first time it's been outdoors for any length of time...At least it tanned, and did not burn, unlike some of its less fortunate brethren in my care lately. Nice Aloe flower stalk, nice to see the genuine A. vera. Veritas! Christopher
    ...See More

Wanted to share some November pics. Please share:-)

Q

Comments (59)
    Hello all! Now Petrushka, I must say AMAZING and you must love every plant you have just as much as they love you:-) It shows. Toni! How do you do that????You got your Aloe to flower and I too have been trying for years. Nice job and did I tell you how much I love your pictures, here, and in your Flicker account?:-) Look at those pretty flowers !! Purple, are you still following this? Purple? What in the world is that most handsome plant you posted on Nov 6 at 18:06~ That very very red stemmed one? Is that really a Cordyline? I never saw on that red or that vivid. Very nice. Stush...You know I feel the same about you too. You are a good man and very kind:-) Elkay!@ !!!!!!! What do you want to trade for a pup of the most white San's on the right??????? Just ask, and you shall receive! If you ever want to, please let me know. I have a fondness for that color and that one. I love it Elkay! Thank you for sharing with me since you know I love that type of variegation!:-) Shoot! What a cute family of plants you have there. So many different kinds. Oh, it would be so nice if you could just leave them there in good light, right. So nice:-) What's the dark leaf one in the far right corner.?
    ...See More

Let's see your potted June trees and their trunks!

Q

Comments (47)
    I don't have pictures of all the trunks, per se, but I took a video of my container garden for my nephews, yesterday. The latest additions are the 2 Bonanza dwarf peach trees. I need to repot both of my lemon trees. The previously light and airy 511 is packed solid in their containers, right now. It's been a couple years, so they're overdue. I need to buy some bark. . Have a great 4th of July, everyone. God Bless America. . Atheen
    ...See More

Last day of June......share your favorite June pics...

Q

Comments (21)
    June is such a beauty right from spring to fall. All her offspring are great too. My first June and I see I have to remove part that has reverted back to the parent Halcyon. She was moved once and may have to find more space for it next season and move her or Fluted Fountain June # 2.... Just because I liked June after a good watering. Love the wet look
    ...See More
  • Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Great Pics everyone!!!

Hi Mike... Love your garden!! Looks wonderful

Hi ANdrew... You and i do have a major problem with our Plumeria!! LOL.. it is really bad!!

Nancy!! Hi there!!! If you are ever interested in Plumeria let me know!!! : ) I would be more thn glad to help you!!

Toni,

They do need to go outside noe... has the cutting rooted yet? The one tht has roots needs to be acclimated to the sun and let it get comfortable outside in the sun!!!

I do have some pics of my lemons and limes..

but here are some pics of my Plumies .. I hope you don't mind Mike..

I will add the citrus tomorrow..to late to tke pics now... LOL

Jeannie Moragne
    {{gwi:590303}}

Henry Apples Dupree
    {{gwi:590306}}
    Apricot...
    {{gwi:590309}}
    cutting experiment in gritty mix vs cactus and perlite same cuttings from the same tree in the same climate with bottom heat..
    {{gwi:43325}}
    {{gwi:43324}}
    {{gwi:97807}}
    {{gwi:548600}}

Have a great night everyone!!!

Laura

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning,

Nancy, you don't have a Plumeria???!!! lol. j/k. If you did, I'm sure they'd be as lovely as your other plants. :)

Laura, how are you? Long time no see!

Everytime I see your plants I want to melt. Or is it our 99F degree temps, lol, j/k.
    Seriously, your Plumes are so, very beautiful.

I don't know which of your Plumerias I like best. The flowers are all so pretty.
    Any fragrant?

Laura, do you remember the day I rooted Plume cutting? I think it was late Feb or March?
    Ever since it was potted, it stayed inside the container.
    There are some people who can't avoid playing peek-a-boo checking for roots..I'm the opposite.

(I know quite a few ppl who move a cutting to see if its rooted, only to kill it. lol.

Once there's growth, that's it. If it doesn't produce leaves after an insurmountable amount of time, I unpot and check. About a year...lol.

BTW, I really like your plastic pots. Looks like they hold quite a few roots..What were they, originally?

Your doggie is so cute. AW. A Hawaiian hula girl, lol.

Thanks Laura..I'll set the rooted Plumeria outside today.
    What do you think about the cutting? Should that go outside, too?

Mike, sorry...you know how much I talk, especially when it involves plants, lol. Toni

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Wow, Don't know what to say, all very impressive.

Mike, I am not surprised but always amazed on how well your plants grow. Your citrus cuttings really looks nice. Orchids have so many healthy roots in the air. Do you control the moisture level in your greenhouse? I was going to ask how the Africa gardenia smells, but I saw you have already answered in the forum. Your Michella Alba flower looks so Fragrant, I feel I can smell it sweet, heavenly scent already. One of these days, I might break down and order an Michella Alba again alone with a green house if you keep posting its picture :)

John, impressive citrus farm. Look how well these trees grow. Appreciate your valuable inputs/growing tips on other threads in this forum

Toni, amazing how many tropical plants you grow in zone 5. I love your Epi. flowers. It is beautiful! You mentioned the same Epi. flowered differntly , was the white flower 2012 fragrant? My understanding is that all colored Epi are hybrid except the white one. Is it possible it mutated back to its parents? BTW, Thanks for sharing the tip of spraying plants with fish emulsion from other threads. My plants love it. I also spay my bluebery leaves and soil with this stuff. I think the heavy fish smell also confuse the resident chipmunk/squirral. So far, my BB ripes nicely on the tree without missing any. I am able to pick some BB each day for breakfast.
    So that is what the Pumeria plants look like. I saw someone sale the lifeless "stick " for $5 at french quarter in New Orlean. I didn't know what was it. Next time I am down there, I will pick up few just to try it.

Laura, beautiful picture of Plumerias. Great job of labeling each plants. Love that dog picture. She is so adorable!

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Toni, NO Plumeria...who would have "thunk" it,lol...me of all people and NO plumeria :o)

Thanks for your sweet and kind offer Laura...I better not start another obsession,lol...way OO many of them already and I have NO more room for new plants and I've heard how addicting they are. Yours are just Stunning!! Just gorgeous!
    I might try just one someday? I think they sell them here at the big box stores...not sure?

Thanks for the lovely pictures..for now I'm just enjoying them through you and your beautiful plumerias :o)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally, a minute for myself!!! So much has happened since then too. Wow.

Toni! I am so happy you paid a visit as always! I just LOVE your pictures and thank you so much for your kind comments and colorful post!

That Chinese perfume plant is in a pot Toni. It is sitting by the pond. I rooted my cuttings in a still body of water like an unfinished pond. I was surprised to see roots on them after a month or two, so I just planted them.
    Yes, I keep all my citrus indoors all winter and them summer them outside. They are in need of fresh air by the time spring comes I tell you:-)

That is one really nice Manderine. Wow! Thanks again for everything and for your kindness.

Laura! Same to you. Wowowowowowow and look at your pooch peeking at us.lol Doesn't he look so cute with the flower..lol. Or is it a she?lol

Your pictures are to die for. You do such a wonderful job with your plants too!
    So much color and variety! I love that white and yellow plumie I tell you. I'll bet it smells very good?

Hello Nancy! You know, what would this thread be without your trees too! I am still in love with that Mango treeeeeeeeeeeee:_)

Olympia...OOOO, you need to pick up an Alba for yourself..lol. Oh, teh smell is so heavenly and they are so fun to grow. I would help you:-) Thank you for coming by and your kind words!
    I decide not to post another picture of it so you would not be tempted.lol

Rhizo, if you are still reading this..:-)))))0))))))

Mike:-)

• grow_your_own
    11 years ago

First off, I apologize for the poor quality of my photo. The only camera I have is my crappy webcam for still shots. Been a member here for a few years, but I hang out mostly in the edible veggie area. I saw the citrus link and poked around. "Hey!, I've got a tree like that." So here I am. I bought this orange tree about 5 years ago. It came from a souvenir shop in Orlando, not far from Universal Studios Theme Park. It only had 9 leaves on it when I got it. It came packaged in a little upright cardboard box. The second year I had it, it bloomed and produced 5 oranges. They were a bit smaller than a golf ball and were tart/bitter to the taste.

Two years went by with no blossoms. THIS year, I counted 31 blossoms and have fruits setting already! I know the pic is crappy, and I don't have a lot of info on it, but can anyone make a guess at what specie this tree is? It was listed on the side of the box, but that box is looong gone.

[img]http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Picture_42.jpg[/img]

• grow_your_own
    11 years ago

Trying the pic again...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Olympia Gardener.

Thank you.

I WISH the Epi was fragrant, lol. No, no fragrance whatsoever. Not that I can detect.
    My nose usually picks up odors like fire long before a fire-engine is heard. Then again, I can't smell Hoya flowers. lol.

I don't know what happened. Over the years it had white blooms. 2012 comes, the flower is red. Now it's back to white..white w/pink. Don't get it. lol

I'm glad Fish Emulsion helped. Lucky you, eating fresh BB's for breakfast..UMMM! Sounds good.
    FE might smell fishy, lol, but at least it's organic. You know? Just thinking about all the chemicals we eat daily makes me feel ill.
    Not only will FE keep squirrels away, but Scale, too.

When the cane/cutting arrived from HI, 'paid 1.00, lol,' I thought no way, this won't root. It was dry, plus stayed in a back room many months.
    It's taking its sweet time but leaves are finally forming.

So, next time you're in NO, yep, pick up a cutting/cane. Did you notice if there were different color flowers on the canes?

Hey Nancy,

Don't want another plant addiction? lol.

I'm sure your other plants, especially Hoyas, keep you busy.

Toni

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Olympia Gardener.

Thank you.

I WISH the Epi was fragrant, lol. No, no fragrance whatsoever. Not that I can detect.
    My nose usually picks up odors like fire long before a fire-engine is heard. Then again, I can't smell Hoya flowers. lol.

I don't know what happened. Over the years it had white blooms. 2012 comes, the flower is red. Now it's back to white..white w/pink. Don't get it. lol

I'm glad Fish Emulsion helped. Lucky you, eating fresh BB's for breakfast..UMMM! Sounds good.
    FE might smell fishy, lol, but at least it's organic. You know? Just thinking about all the chemicals we eat daily makes me feel ill.
    Not only will FE keep squirrels away, but Scale, too.

When the cane/cutting arrived from HI, 'paid 1.00, lol,' I thought no way, this won't root. It was dry, plus stayed in a back room many months.
    It's taking its sweet time but leaves are finally forming.

So, next time you're in NO, yep, pick up a cutting/cane. Did you notice if there were different color flowers on the canes?

Hey Nancy,

Don't want another plant addiction? lol.

I'm sure your other plants, especially Hoyas, keep you busy.

Toni

11 years ago

Hi Mike!!

Nice to see you again!!!

I wanted to add some of my Citrus for you.. My trees are not as lush as yours, but here they are.

Toni..

You need to put those Plumies outside now... I will help you with any questions.. Email me and we can chat!!
    Im glad to hear that you haven't peeked in the soil..LOL!!

That cutting needs to be in the sunshine protected from rain, but needs the bottom heat to root. The rooted tree need to be in the sun. If it has been inside all this time.. acclimate it and then you will see a major improvement.

Here are some pics for you Mike!!
    {{gwi:590315}}
    {{gwi:590317}}
    {{gwi:590319}}
    Jeannie Moragne
    {{gwi:43327}}

Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop
    {{gwi:590322}}

Take care Mike!!

Love your pictures!!!

Always so beautiful!!!

Hi SISSY!! xoxoxo

Laura

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Laura, Beautiful Plants!!!

What's the citrus in pic 1? Most of my citrus still have tags, but a few were lost over the years.
    I have the exact citrus as yours in pic one. Only reason I recongize it is because of the fruit. lol.

Laura, there's no area outdoors where plants can be sheltered from rain.
    What would happen if Plumeria got rained on?

Also, the last 9 days, temps have been in the high 90's. Would too much heat hurt them?
    And the strongest, harshest sun light.
    Your pool looks soooo inviting, lol.

Both Plumes are in a south, opened window. At night they get a little artifial light.

I usually bring plants out on cloudy days in spring. This year was different. It was either they'd go out during very sunny days or stay indoors. My only choice was to haul them out at night, after 6pm.

Thanks Laura. Toni

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, guys and gals!
    Just popping to say Hello, and I'll be back later for more :-)
    Mike, I hear the East Coast is in for some record-breaking heat through the next few days!
    Stay hydrated!

Toni, I do remember that pepper! Re-pot it and hit it with some fertilizer :-)

I'll work on pics...I know, I'm behind. My Ponderosa does have a lemon on it now.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Hello, and what beautiful plants, everyone!

Mike, always love to see your plant menagerie of the rare and beautiful...Now you are getting me to want to try citrus again. I had a large Calamondin until the ex made me throw it out during a move. Sure wish I still had that, as for my coffee tree which met the same fate!

Laura, didn't mention how impressed I was with the size of the Plumeria flowers themselves, along with the amazing hues?!

Christopher

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Chris! Welcome to this side of the pond buddy! I guess you found my hiding place, vacation spot, and my other addiction.lol

Thank you so much for your kind words. Please, let me be the one to get you motivated to start all over again:-). This time there will be no one making you throw away any of your favorite plants:-) Please, stick around or visit more often.

Josh, how are you? Good to see you around these parts once again. Finally! yes, it's HOT here! 97 today and 100 tomorrow. We were stuck in the 60's for days and then all of a sudden this. Crazy I'll say.

Remember 'Rosa', the lemon tree I saved. I am almost ready to take a picture for an update. It was INFESTED with mites at work this winter, and it has finally recovered!

Laura! You know how I feel about your plants and that pool..I could use a good swim right about now! Between you and Patty, it won't be to difficult to join your pool parties.lol

Laura, is that the same Ponderosa, little Rosa? If so, oh my! What the heck have you been feeding it????? By the way, no worries about your trees. Once the weather is in your favor, being a bit cooler that is, they will green right up. They sure look healthy to me though:-)
    I LOVE that yellow plumeria sticking out at me:-)

Toni..What's up? Do you ever has anything but beautiful plants these days? Very nice. Boy do you have hot weather...My....Let me tell you, laura is the Queen of plumeria's! She has it together.
    I hope you are enjoying this night and your citrus are giving you much success!

Mike

11 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

You are so sweet!! Thank you for all that you do for me and everyone else here!!! I have many cutting from you and yes, that is the little "Rosa" She lost all of her leaves during the winter and i did cut back the tree like Josh had mentioned So hopefully it will branch out some more.

Heat? OHHHH MY! I see everyone on the east coast and the Ohio Valley is having a heat wave foor the next few days!! It was 97* here today. I watered my tress really well last night with the intention of it being so hot here and the containers were dry today. You know how many Plumeira i have as well as other C & S ( I posted over there too!) YES.. I am on vacation!! I know i am not around much, when i am working, i work 14 hrs a day for 4 days at a time. Then when im home, all i can do is unwind in my garden. This is for you Mike!!

"In the garden I tend to drop my thoughts here and there, to the flowers I whisper the secrets i keep and the hopes I breath. I know they are there to eavesdrop for the angels..." ~ Dodinsky

Toni...

My Plumies are Very Fragrant.. That is why i love them so much. The beauty and the fragrance makes me think that i am back in HI again. SIgh... The cuting can be outside and somewhat protected. I would place it on the concrete or keep it on a seedling mat. Are you using the wet/dry on the rooted tree? The bottles in the pick of the experiment rooting in the gritty mix vs the standard mix are just plain water bottles. Just be very careful when you cut from the bottles. These roots are very fragile. I posted how i cut from the bottle over at Plumeria Forum. Let me know if you want the link.

Mike i hope my trees do green up like you say.. im sure it is the heat.. i have fertilized well and i also use Fish E too!!

Please be careful with this heat...

All of your trees look so healthy and look like you could be in a garden center with all your trees on display!! They are that gorgeous!!!

Olympia Gardener.. Thank you!! " )

Toni.. im almost forgot.. the tag just says Citrus/ Lemon tree. LOL Sorry that is it!! LOL.. not muchh info!!!

Christopher.. Thank you!!! You have always been so supportive. So kind... Tks!!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

So many beautiful pictures, like a virtual plant show!... nowadays, eveything can go virtual isn't it? I love this thread.

Mike, Thank you. you are so kind. Post all the M. Alba pictures you want. I can't grow one but at least I can look at its pictures... Virtually smell its fragrant.... bring back my childhood memories... It reminds me of I still missing one plant in my plant collection... Only one? LOL. One of these days, I might move my green house project up on my to-do list and put one together in my back yard. I might take up your offer for growing technic. and advices. I hope your offer will still stand then.

Toni, I spray fish E. on blue berries, orchids, house plant, citrus...every plants I have. It is good way to fertilize plants, control scales... oh, I hate scales. They are so hard to completely get rid of. I don't have a big scale problem, but from time to time, one or two will pop up unexpectedly. I guess they came with the wind? My Jasmines love fish E. They grow huge leaves, put out a ton of flowers. I even spray this fish tuff on my fruit trees, hoping the tree doesn't smell like a good place for moth to lay eggs. Not sure this works scientifically , but so far, keep my fingers crossed, I don't have a lot of pests problem.

One draw back is its fishy smell. My kids said it smells like anchove. I like you, can't smell a thing unless it has strong scent. The residue smell linger on the plant leaves for 2-3 days or longer depends on how sensitive of your nose, especially when the leaves are wet. I have one of orchids " Sharry Baby" in bloom. I took it to work, thought I can enjoy its fragrant much better at work. I put it on a table outside of my office so when I walk in and out I can put my nose to it and inhale the fragrant, I addict to it. Someone else can get chance to enjoy its scent too. One of our VP in the area yestetday, I told him to smell the flowers. He did and made funny face and said this is what you grow? I was looking at his facial expression and ready to tell him to make an appointment with doctor check up his nose. I did not realize that I just misted the leave a minute ago. After he left, I smelled the flower, I was sure I don't need appointment with doctor for I can smell mixed sweet fragance and fish oddor. I hoep he does not spread the words and tell everyone that I grow fish smelling plants in my office... Oh well, just a incident. LOL
    My Epi flowered last month, they did not last long. I love the cripy white flower of cactus, flower size just as large as epi's.
    {{gwi:590323}}
    {{gwi:590324}}

Laura, Queen of plumeria's. I may not scale it correctly from the pictures. It seems to me, the plumeria does not take up a lot of room to grow. If I only to get one plumeria, which one would you recommend ? I like strong scent, and can bloom in Chicago area.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, I'm so sorry, I didn't see your first post.

Your Chinese Plant is beautiful, like all your other plants.

Pond rooting. Maybe you started a new trend. lol

Oh, I KNOW Laura is Queen of Plumerias..look at her pics!

After several weeks in the high 90's, this morning we had a hard, 10-minute rain, temp drop, plus it's grey. Perfect time to place my two Plumes outdoors in a safe spot after harsh sun shines again.
    My only concern is tipping over. Because of their height, both plants must go on the shelf top.

Thanks Mike..my citrus are doing fine. The other day they were fertilized, Superthrived and sprayed with Chelated Nutritional Citrus Spray purchased at a citrus nursery in Fl.

Mike, IT'S THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TIME OF THE YEAR...SUMMER! :)

Hey Josh. Should I use a time-release veggie fertilizer? Remember, growing veggies in pots is new to me..in fact, first time ever.

Ah, variegated lemon leaves are beautiful even without fruit, so strut your stuff. lol.

Christopher..How have you been? Your spouse MADE you throw out a citrus AND coffee???
    Oh boy, I'd toss......................lol

Did your Coffee ever flower/berry?
    Do you know its variety?

It took years before I was able to keep a coffee plant more than a year. My coffee is over 10-yrs. Please, don't think I'm boasting...I'm not, just very very happy.

Laura...place my Plumerias on concrete? Is that what you said? lol.

If so, problem is, ANTS! They're everywhere. I'm not proud to say I've actually bought a can of Raid. I've tried everything, but ants are taking over the state of IL..lol

I'm afraid they'll crawl in my Plumes..

Don't know if you read this thread, but I have a perfect spot on the side of the house..Sun, but not so much plants will burn. My Hoyas are summered there. It's bright enough for Hoyas to flower, yet sheltered from harsh sun and heavy rain. Although, they will get sun and rained on, but to a lesser degree. Especially rain.

I want to thank you for all your help...If it wasn't for you, I'd never have purchased a second Plumeria. lol.

Hi Olympia. No matter what anyone says, fishy or not, FE is the best. I've been spraying w/FE since the 90's. It works great as an insect repellent, kills Scale, and an organic ferilizer.
    My succulents and Epis are feritlized w/FE. In autumn, before plants come back inside, ALL plants are sprayed w/FE and a few other non-chemical ingredients.

That is funny about your boss..OMG!! ROFL. I can imagine the look on his face..and yours, after you took a whiff. lol.
    And your poor kids, lol. At least FE is harmless.

Wow, your Epi flowers are big and beautiful! They're really nice, OG.

Before I forget. I don't use it, but there is an odor-less FE. I wonder if it works as well.
    Oh well, no one really cares for the odor, but it's short-lasting, and worth it.

Toni

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Toni, Thanks for the complements of my epi.

The funny thing is that he did not say it smells like fish... I am sure he was thinking in his head that way. But he could't put fish and flower together and boldly say what he had truely smelled... Poor fellow. He works for my boss. I have never told him it does smell fishy.Keep it secret. LOL

Thanks for sharing odorless fish E.info. I really don't care it smells fish or not as long as it is good for the plants and planet... American India's had practiced using fish fertilizer hundreds years ago. I wish I could put a fish at bottom of every plant hole when I plant my trees.

11 years ago

Hi MIke!!

Great thread!!

Love seeing all of the Pics and i love the colors of all of them!!!

You always make a great thread.. so much enthusiasm and everyone has a great time posting!! Shows your personality!! "It Shines.." : )

Toni.. I did say to place on concrete..LOL.. It sounds crazy, but the Plumeria love bottom heat and will help you cutting root faster. I remember when Mike would place his on the roof for the heat. It works! But if you have a place on the side of your house, that sounds good. DOnt worry about the rooted cutting getting wet from the rain. If it is in a fast draining mix, it will be fine. Remember water the rooted tree when dry and then go with the wet/dry cycle... "Queen" LMAO.. i don't think so... but thank you though. I just love these beauties!!! Here is one that i know you will love.. for you Toni!! I am glad you purchased another tree! : ) If you are worried about them tipping over.. You can either place bricks around the container.. or large rocks around the pot too! Just a thought!!!

Varigated Plumeria ( Maya)
    {{gwi:577080}}

Olympia gardener.. If you are looking for a great compact hearty fragrant Plumeria, i would suggest "Divine" You can order this one from Jungle Jack's in Orange County CA. It is known for it great keeping quality as well as it is a prolific bloomer too! I have this tree and i love it!!

Take care all!

Laura

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Trifoliate Orange (Poncirus trifoliata)

Fruit set nicely, I think almost every blossom set.

But, what should I do about the chlorosis on this plant? I keep using a liquid fertilizer with trace elements, have use Ironite on it, did a partial soil change. Still chlorotic, although not as bad as it was last year.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Laura, Thank you very much for the recommendation. My new plant of the year is Brug. It looks like they are growing reasonably well. The growing season here is almost half gone for this year, I will order plumeria early next spring. Exciting to try something new.

Denni, Is this the same flying dragon bloomed a while ago?? It grew very well, nice size fruits! I have a orange tree has the similar yellow leave problem. I am anxious to learn what to do to correct it. Maybe Meyer Mike will give out his secrete of keep lush green on his citrus trees

• denninmi
    11 years ago

Yes, same tree. Or actually trees, there are 5 in the same pot. IIRC, three were the ones I got mail order (I think from Forest Farm), and the other 2 were broken pieces from those I stuck in which grew -- this thing is very easy to root.

I did a search the other night on this forum. There were several long threads about chlorosis, about using vinegar to treat it, but it kind of overwhelmed me and I nodded off (it was like 2:00 in the morning).

Shouldn't be rocket science, I'll just have to read the threads again when it's not 2:00 in the morning.

But, if Meyer Mike would care to give us "Treating Citrus Chlorosis For Dummies" short answer it would be MUCH appreciated.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

OG...A person who isn't accustomed to fishy-smelling plants either turns on their poker face or passes out. lol.

Over the years, there's been some debate, FE vs Neem. Neem, 'think it's organic?' probably works great, but I'm used to FE. Moreso, since it works I'm content.
    FE does the job, so I've always felt there was no need for change.

Also, FE fertilizes organically. Neem might, too, but I have a few bottles of FE on hand, no Neem, so why run out, spend more money on a supply I have available and does what it's supposed to do?
    Do you know what I mean??

About placing a fish in a pot..Can't do that. I'd feel so bad for the poor little guy/gal, lol.

Oh LAURA!! What an absoltely gorgeous Plumeria. I'm green and white with envy. lol. Where on earth, 'if earth was the planet, :)' did you find P. Maya? If you don't mind me asking.
    Its variegation is striking, and shaped perfect. I want one exactly like yours..lol.

BTW, what's the coldest temp Plumeria can endure?
    Plumerias in the past ALL died from the cold. Once, summer night temps dropped in the high 40's/low 50's.
    I was working outside when it happend.
    Within minutes, leaves discolored. Frostbite! The following day every single leaf fell limp. In the trash they went.

All the years I've had plants, I'd never seen anything like it. Leaves discolored before my eyes.
    That is the reason I fear setting Plumes out.
    In 2012, temps regularly fluctuate in minutes. One min 90 the next 60F.

They're predicting 50F degree nights this weekend. Too cold?

OG, since Denni mentioned Poncirus...Did you know it's hardy to z5?
    It's not much of a tree, and fruit is very sour and seedy, but it will survive our winters.
    Heavy mulch is needed soon after first frost.
    Another con is it's very slow-growing.

I grew Poncirus out front. You know how dark winter nights are here?
    some 'idiot,' walked across our front garden, stepped on the Poncirus, and shattered the trunk..trunk was thin to begin with.
    It lived about 3-yrs.
    I'm not a mean person, but I hope the culprit thorned his skin, lol. Although that'd be odd, unless he/she was marching around in shorts on an icy-cold night in winter. lol.

Denni, a suggestion.

Twice a year I add Chelated Iron or Iron Sulfate to plants that look like they have Chlorosis, and as a Chlorosis preventative. Even though fertilizers contain minerals, 'if a plant has an iron deficiency,' the percentage of iron in fertilizer might not be adequate.

Another option. I purchased a bottle of 'Chelated Citrus Nutritional Spray' from a citrus nursery in Fl. Unlike other Irons that are added to soil, foliage is sprayed.
    I don't know if it works as well as Iron, but it won't harm your Citrus. In fact it's helpful.
    This spray is applied 1-2 times a year.

Looking at your picture, I'm unsure your citrus has an iron defiency. Leaves are a bit pale and veins a little pronounced.
    I'd try the spray, first.

Oh, one last option is adding Epsom Salts. People I know/talk to who adds ES's to their plants, swear there's a huge improvement. Leaves are greener. Can't hurt.
    This weekend was the first time I misted my citrus w/this spray. So far so good.

Toni

11 years ago

Hello, everyone! Mike, Laura, Toni, Chris, and a hearty welcome to all the (new?) faces! :-D
    Well, I still don't have decent pics of my Citrus yet....but I'll get them eventually.

Mike, after three weeks of temps in the 90°F's and 100°F's, we are finally enjoying a cooling
    trend that should last through the weekend. Perfect timing for the start of Summer!

Due to the heat, I haven't been fertilizing. My Ponderosa has developed quite a few yellow leaves,
    but I hit it with a dose of Foliage Pro yesterday when the temps were in the 80°F's. I'll monitor
    the color of the leaves, and I'll keep fertilizing until
    it is green again.

Laura, that's the best looking Plumeria foliage I've ever seen.

Josh

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Toni, no kidding, 59 tonight at O'hare, even lower on Sunday night. After crazy hot hot closer to 100 degree days this week, I even felt cool last night. I finally can sit outside enjoy the summer without hearing air condition noise.

Both fish emulsion and Neem oil are organic. Neem oil comes from Neem tree growing in India. I once was told many indian grocery stores sale product contains Neem oil for way low cost. For those who use Neem oil a lot, might want to check it out. When I get chance,I will ask my neighbor to find out what it was called and what is the name brand.

Putting fish in the bottom of the hole is magic ( need to separate by few inch of soil) . I put some fish guts at the bottom of the hole when I was digging for my grapes in early Spring. The one with fish grows much bigger and greener. Overall, looks much larger vine comare to other 4 grapes plants.

I am one of these who swear that Epsom salt does make big difference on the leave color. One of our HR manager was on my waiting list for a Jasmine plant. I have two year old MOO is blooming recently, So I decide to give that nice blooming plant to her so she can at least enjoy the flower /fragrant before she over water the plant. ( I found 90% of plants I gave out ended up dead due to over watering within 1 year. Sad.) I noticed the night before that the flowers are in fine shape but the leaves are bit yellow, comparing to my other Jasmines'. I just put less than handful of Epsom salt aroung the trunk and watered it in. The next day, the leaves are much greener and more presentable.

I don't think my orange is lack of iron. I put some Ironite in the Spring time. I was thinking use Epsom salt on my orange tree, but was worried Espom salt might not be the only thing the tree needs. If there is a better solution, I would prefer to wait. I might try the citrus spray. Thanks.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Josh,

OG...Oh please don't tell me the temps are dropping so low??
    My body doesn't adapt to the cold..59 might as well be 32. If it drops that much, I'll be dressed in winter night clothing, lol.

We don't use a/c, just fans and opened windows. 99F is hot, but 85 perfect. :)
    My sister says I'm Amish. lol.

Yep, Neem comes from a plant, but are other ingredients added? I've never seen Neem sold here, or looked it up online.

Oh God, fish guts. How'd you do it? lolol
    No, please don't tell me.

I'm allergic to seafood, which doesn't bother me because I'm not fond of it..I like breaded shrimp and salmon patties..salmon in a can, not the fish..lol. With added ingreients including Italian Cheese and garlic.
    I'd never be able to dissect..lol.

But, you're right..I bet a fish would benefit.

I recently added ES's to a few plants. Gardenia, citrus, palms and ferns. Along w/fertilizer and Superthrive. In a couple weeks, I'm going to add vinegar.

First, ALL my citrus need repotting. They're in fairly large tree pots, but haven't been repotted in, ahem, yrs.
    I'm working my way down the list..working on Hoyas today.

After I finish posting, I've got to look up Kiwi soil. I just got two Kiwi plants..male and female.
    My Kiwi out back has been around 15-yrs, but never flowered or fruited..
    I think I was sent two males or two females. Didn't know you needed one of each sex back then.

Mike, BTW, I also got Azalea 'Innocence.' Can't wait until it blooms..lol. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my! I finally have custody of my computer here at work for a few moments and I must say that this thread TOOK OFF!!!

It is getting dark here and it's 95 degrees at 5:30pm. I think we are in store for some heavy duty thunder!

I don't even know where to begin everyone. I must say hello to Josh, Nancy, Toni, Lauar!! and the new faces here. It is wonderful to see such entusiam and interest in such beauty, where no else living in my area could give a hoots a.....
    Well, sorry about that, I do have one friend that LOVEs the smell of all my citrus trees in full bloom smelling up the yard at this time with all this humdity. He wants his girlfriend to see this and have a cookout here.
    You should see, 'Rosa', the tree that I saved. Flushing out in new growth and many flower buds! It has 4 HUGE HUGE lemons on it. I will snap a photo and start another thread with her:-)

Laura:

Wowowowowowoow. You pics are always breatless and abosolutely amazing. That water is to DIVE for.lol
    It's no wonder all your plants do so well. I am beginning to think that if they want any part of their surroundings, they had better do something, and they know it.

You remember correctly! I still do place my Plumeria and now my Desert Roses up there on the very hot roof. I also have one Lemon Meyer up there that seems to not be so happy. lol

That Variegated Plumeria is remakable! I have always wanted one and I am SURE our dear friend Toni is on the same page.lol
    We do have a thing for variegated plants! In fact, I have a variegated citrus on hold for her. I will post that too:-)

Denin! Your 'Trifoliate' is beautiful in my view. That fruit is perfect!@@!
    I love it. Thank you for showing us.

Toni: You I just know you had to have an 'Innocence Azelea', lol. It is one of the best plant I have ever own for fragrance! I am in love with this one, next to my citrus of course. Re-pot away of course. don't let us stop you. What will you do once your pots get to big to pick up? Do you trim the roots on your citrus and then use the same pot sizes, or do you just continually pot up?

Josh! Hello buddy! It was 96 today and I think we will be in the 70's by next week again. All we have to do is get the seabreeze and we can say goodbye to what we now once in a while call summer! It was just in teh 40's and 60's Monday and all of last week. I can tell you that my citrus thrive in temps below the 90's and into the 50's at night. This seems to be the happy medium for all my plants.
    Pics Sir?????

Olympia! Brilliant plants too. I just love teh colors of that Epi. Wow, it is very bright!
    I wanted to let you know that I can not live without Fish Emulsion! I always have a huge bottle on hand and spray down everything all summer long at least twice a month.
    My plants always come in bug free, and stay that way. Well, that is the ones I treat.
    I couldn't spray a few last year because of a broken foot and the ones that did not get treated battled spider mites all winter! I even had to throw out my biggest and best gardenia to them.
    My ponderosa names 'Rosa' was hit awefully hard thsi winter because she could not be treated before I brought her in last fall. It was horrible! I will post a pic of the damage and now the new look now that they are all gone and it is finally outside.

I too use discarded fish parts and bury my plants on top of them. Boy, what difference in growth.
    As for pots, I wouldn't try this. I did as an experiment on two trees and they died the following year.

Toni! To bad they didn't have a unisex Kiiwi, right?lol
    If anyone ahs ever seen how skinny you are, they would think it was due to the lack of fat and not that you could be Amish for the reason why you are always cold.lol

Laura, thank you for your kind words as always along with everyone elses! It is always nice to have a good time even if it is not focused just on citrus. we could use a little fun and friendship in this harsh and painful world at times. Life is too short to be a stickler or stiff!

Wow, I can't beleive that is little "Rosa'! It's a happy camper for sure. Thanks.

I hope you all have a great night and stay safe. Please watch for some new pics of my 'Rosa' and a few other surprises.
    I'll be back to check in again:-)

Excuse the typo's, but I had to go and did not have enough time to preview.

Patty, Nancy, Buylady, Chris, ANDREW, Mike, Tim, Dave, Rhizo, and others, I hope you are all doing well!

Mike:-)

11 years ago

Hey! Cloudy skies here....maybe we'll even get a few sprinkles!
    Last night it was 50°F....felt so good! I was actually able to sleep comfortably!

Okay, a quick pic of my Moro Blood Orange, just because you've been so patient ;-D

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Josh!!!!!!!!!!

That is looking FANTASTIC buddy! It is so green, full, vibrant, rich, and just awesome for a tree in a container! It just goes to show you that your mix is doing wonders along with your knowledge of what makes it happy! I am so proud of you. The wait was far worth it. Thank you:-)

Don't forget, if it should loose its rich green color, it is only because the temps are not cooperating and not due to an inability to keep it happy. Too bad mother nature couldn't give us the perfect temps year round, right?

Great job Josh!

Mike

• krismast
    11 years ago

Just now joining in. These trees are my second attempt at growing citrus (First attempt was an utter failure).

This is my Meyer Lemon purchased from a local garden center. I barerooted and transplanted into gritty mix on May 14, 2012.

{{gwi:590326}}

This is my Kaffir Lime from Four Winds. I barerooted and transplanted into gritty mix on May 17, 2012. I can't wait until this little guy grows! The aroma of the leaves is incredible!

{{gwi:590328}}

All of your folks trees look incredible. I hope that I can have as much success as all of you do!

Kristopher

• Andrew Scott
    11 years ago

Hey Mike,
    I love the 'Star Ruby'. Right now blooms are pretty much cpent but i have tons of tiny little fruits forming. i know I will lose most of them but I should still have quite a few that hang on(I hope!). THe 'Oro Blanco' is blooming nicely now. Tons of growth, I whacked it back in the spring to encourage more branching.

Yeah plumeria are my main focus now. They reward you nicely when you give them the right care, which so far(keeping fingers crossed)isn't too hard. Just had to learn a few things.

Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner!

Andrew

11 years ago

Thanks, Mike, you are a great inspiration! ;-D
    My Moro and my pink Lemon still have some of the freeze-damaged leaves from the winter...
    although they're slowly falling off. I can't wait until they're gone...I guess I could pull them,
    but I thought I'd let it happen naturally.

Andrew, hey buddy, great to see you :-) I haven't been here much, either, but it's always nice
    to drop back in and catch up on the Citrus news.

Next up, variegated Eureka pink lemon. Yes, I've been told to re-pot into a larger container...
    I know I should, but it's too hot now and the plant is pushing new growth. I might do an out of
    season re-pot this fall when the temps are similar to those in April.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, that's beautiful Josh!!!!'I know exactly what you mean about re potting and when.
    That tree is doing do awesome as well as your other citrus. I knew you could do it, that you would love it, and that you would be successful!!!!!
    You should be proud of this fact having potted citrus as you do with minimal if any issues caused by your hands.
    Bravo!!!!

Andrew. No worries. It is always a pleasure to see you in these parts. I hope you are ok and that back gets better. If I lived closer, I would help you for sure ! I can't wait to see pics of your trees after all this time.
    Wasn't Josh and I that got you hooked? Lol

Kristopher! Not bad. I know this time around you will do much better, especially growing in that mix! Just watch out that you don't under water.
    Make sure you soaked the mix evenly every time you water with some sort of sprinkler head , and feed, feed, feed, when you water.
    Great work and nice looking trees.

Mike :)

• James _J
    11 years ago

This is my alleged orange tree, I call it that because I have yet to see an orange. I've been thinking about buying tree and grafting it onto this one since it has a nice trunk. If not that then maybe the wood chipper.

Mike, how's the Tang doing, it should be getting ready to flower about now. Did you ever get the mango tree? I got a Pickering 2 months ago.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lumpy!!! Beautiful! You have been hiding out! I love your tree!

How have you been? How did you know my Tango was starting to flower again for a second time? It seems quite happy You should see all the other orchids I have too:-)
    I think your tree looks fantastic. It is so full and green. How long have you had it? It's beautiful.
    I never got the Mango. I am still waiting on Andrew to see weather he gets fruit that is sweet and edible. If he does, well then..lol

Good to see you. I owe you a visit on the orchid forums. I'll probably spend some time there once I get my first problem.

Have a great night:-))))

Mike

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

few random pics

N33 navel, black fig, gardenia, papaya nectar plumie cuttings
    {{gwi:590331}}

cutting from my aunt, prob Black Mission fig
    {{gwi:590333}}

not sure if its breba or main crop, had a few small fruits during the fall/winter that fell off early, these are the spring crop
    {{gwi:590335}}

Cara Cara Pink navel, mango seedling (prob Tommy Atkins)
    {{gwi:590336}}

noid plumie
    {{gwi:590338}}

Ewok, red crown of thorns
    {{gwi:590340}}

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Mike, ah, the storm is past! (Wink, wink.) Now, back to Plumeria...:)

My sole specimen putting out new leaves...

Christopher

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

GREAT pictures everybody!!

LOVE your variegated plumeria Laura!!

Houston, Cute little dog, I love your little mango seedling. I have several mango trees myself and I have some fruits on them right now..! I love mangos!!

11 years ago

Well I don't have any Plumeria ;-)
    But there's an Avocado and a bunch of other stuff in the pic below....

Hello and good afternoon! I started a Summer gardening position at a large ranch today....
    and I am tired...and sunburned ;-) But I wanted to drop in to check on the state of things.

Ponderosa Lemon. After taking this pic, I removed the second fruit and pruned the branch
    back to a healthy leaf....trying to keep this wee little tree balanced.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

great plants everyone, keep sharing :)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aw, wow everyone! I agree with Houston, fantastic plants!

Josh, your tree has grown quite a bit I'll say! It is lovely and it always has a beautiful shade of green!
    You know, the thought never occurred to me to ask if you will grow it for ornamental purposes or as a food source?
    I have no idea how you grow Avocado so well? Wow.

Chris! My goodness, it feels like fall today. Sheesh, what ever happened to CONSISTENT warm temps in our summers. Now. it's either to hot or too cold for the time of year.lol I am freezing this am and it's the end of June.
    My poor citrus.
    By the way, I had no idea you could grow a plumeria so well. Good for you:-)

Houston, what a cute dog you have there. He is almost as big as my cat.lol Adorable! I am amazed at how nice you grow your plants too. All those flowers on that plumeria, which by the way, I have never been successful at and that CT is so bright.
    Did you know I have an addiction with Fig trees? I have several on my roof.lol
    By the way, someday I hope to own a mango. If you get that one to fruit, please share:-)
    As for the fig, do you find them very very sweet? I am looking for one of the sweetest ones and have yet to taste one.

Mike

11 years ago

Thanks, Mike!
    I'm not sure what I'll do with the Ponderosa.... ;-)
    It needs fertilizer, though. Some of the oldest leaves are developing yellow veins.

Mike, it's 46°F here (6:58am). Our nights stay cool almost all Summer long,
    which can make it difficult to keep things like peppers, citrus, desert rose, plumeria, etc.,
    happy.

Josh

11 years ago

Adding the pic of my fourth and final Citrus variety, my Pomelo seedlings:

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

hey Mike, we'll take some of that cool weather, we've been having some 100'F days down here, with the heat index being around 108-109'F.

my aunt gave me the fig cutting last summer. its a large fig, most of hers are around 2" diameter. i would say the figs are about average sweetness.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Houston..Guess what? I felt the same way about my figs! I had a couple and they are not as sweet as many rave them to be to me, and I let them fully ripen.

I was told the older the tree, the sweeter they get. Oh I hope so. Mine are only about 2-3 feet tall. I hope someday to get a VERY sweet one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

You can have the cooler weather.lol It's depressing to wake up 5 days out of the week with cloudy skies and temps below normal. I get enough of that in the Spring, Fall, and Winter. Our summers are shrinking while just one state away they are boiling. Strange I'll say!
    Protect your trees for sure in that. I hope you have a pool.

Josh! Well, would you look at that! Holding back for one of the best? Very very nice. Will you be separating them anytime soon or let them grow together like a mini forest? They look pretty good together like that.
    Are you growing them for fun, or for eventual fruit?
    I love them.

46 degrees! Well, I thought my weather was cold. You must still use some source of heat for those cold nights, or at least put the windows up. Wow.
    Well, I can understand why certain plants may be an issue for you there.
    My weather is much warmer than yours, but still I have a problem with some of the plants you mentioned too.
    But despite them odds, what you grow still seems to relish in your care. Good work.

68 this a.m. and light drizzly rain. It's breezy and feels like fall. I think our hot summers of past have all but disappeared for good:-(

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike! Sorry I didn't see these earlier!!!! I have been under the weather and too tired to come here lately. Oh your trees have come such a long ay buddy!

You talk about challenge, and I think you have it! Now, what will your do, grow next?lol
    Those trees are beautiful! I wish I was there to see them up close.
    Is the Kumquat easy to grow? Are they good? Are they sweet? Do you think I should try one? I have thought about it, but after looking at yours, I am one step closer to getting one.
    Thank so much for sharing your pictures. I always look forward to seeing them. That plumeria was another challenge I'll bet you are proud to accomplish too? It's so beautiful!

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    2 years ago

Poncirus trifoliata in ground.

Steve