SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Streamlined versus Cozy

sail_away
11 years ago

I seem to be having an identity crisis regarding what direction to take my home decor. Over the years, I have typically tended to make thngs cozy, with lots of layers and accessories in a room while also putting the maximum amount of furniture in each room. To me, that was warm and welcoming.

This year we have worked on replacing the flooring on our first floor, and I took that opportunity to really purge. My rasons for doing so: (1) We will eventually probably be downsizing, and I don't want to have so much stuff to deal with at that time. (2) The upkeep of our large home is becoming more difficult, so more clear spaces and less "stuff" really simplifies the upkeep. (3) I have found myself being drawn to a cleaner, more contemporary (but comfortable) style---it seems more soothing to me.

We have extended our hardwood floors into the living room dining room, and I originally intended to put one or more area rugs in there, but, frankly, the upkeep is so much easier without them. Also, I have severe allergies, so no carpet is really helpful.

I have a basic idea what I want to do in these rooms, but I'm finding the process very slow. I'm holding back my impulse to fill every wall with pictures and adding too many decorative items or furniture---yet I'm worried about having the rooms look too sparse. At the same time, I'd like to come closer to the look of a home staged for sale, but with the addition of some personal touches. Right now, thing seem to be coming together, but very slowly, as I only put something into the rooms if it's something I find useful or very appealing. I think I'm doing okay, but it's kind of like when you get your hair cut in a completely new style and, at first, you keep looking at it, questioning whether it's really right for you or not---eventually you adjust to it and, hopefully, really love it.

I've been on Gardenweb forums for a long time, but just recently came to this board for decorating ideas. It seems like most of what I see is more like my former decorating style---more cozy and filled with stuff and less streamlined. I still find that style appealing and welcoming, but it's not what I want now. I want streamlined, but still welcoming and comfortable.

Anyone else here who has a more streamlined decorating sense? Any photos to share? Or ideas?

(Sorry this is so long. I've been thinking about posting for some time but wasn't sure how to explain my concerns, so I finally went ahead and posted and sort of rambled.)

Comments (20)