SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roobear_gw

Living Room/Entry Ideas

roobear
12 years ago

So I just got done installing and finishing my rustic hardwood floors DIY and I'm working on figuring out my entry/living room area because I have to put some sort of railing system back up. I have the dreaded split entry, with very little entry space and no storage except for the small coat closet at the top of the stairs.

I was thinking of doing coat hooks on the tall wall next to the door and on the railing half wall, have two 30Wx36Hx12D inch cabinets connected by shelving in the middle with a wood top facing the stair side as a new railing/wall. This way I can have a place to hang coats next to the door and lots of storage for shoes, keys, mail, hats, gloves, etc by the door. I was also thinking of planking the back side of it facing the living room area and planking the entry way walls as a way to divide the spaces a bit, otherwise I have 4 rooms all the same paint color which gets old fast. My new(salvaged)craftsman wood front door has a large window and there is a full panel window on the right side of the door, so there will be plenty of natural light in the entry area even with the closed in cabinet railing.

I thinking about planking the ceilings as a way to calm down the swirls and make the spaces less formal to go with my rustic wood floors. I was planing on building a gel fireplace on the wall opposite the half entry wall in the living room and thinking of planking it to repeat the vertical planking in the entry area and add weight and height to the living room area. I know it's a lot of planking, but I want the space not to be so plain. My living room is pretty long so I think I have enough room to add the thicker railing half wall and fireplace/storage cabinets on the other side, without it looking too cramped.

I did a little mock up to see what it might look like, I really like the way it looks in the mock up and so did my DH, but I'm not sure about how it might look in real life.

{{!gwi}}

Excuse the mess on the table, I'm in the process of "binding" my carpet rugs.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)