SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Looking for creative ideas on how to finish out hood vent.

zipdee
15 years ago

You guys are so good at stuff like this, I thought someone might have some thoughts or ideas that I've overlooked.

Okay, we are still in construction phase in the kitchen .. but getting closer. Right now we are in the process of sealing the floors with waterlox, we have two more coats to go. Once that's complete, we have one more window to install. Then beadboard around the windows and in between where the stove and hood vent will set will be white subway tiles.

Here's a pic of the hood vent we are using, the actual vent is still wrapped in plastic and in the box.

Our stove again to see what we are working with:

Below are pics of the area as it sits now, the gap is for the stove which is 40" wide .. above will sit the hood vent which is 48", on each side will be a window ( one is installed right now ) .. abutting the window trim in the middle will be subway tiles below the vent. The bottom of the hood vet is 30" up from the stove top, the hood is 18" high which leaves roughly 16" to the bottom of the crown molding .. or 21 1/2" to the ceiling. This area needs to be finished off to cover the vent pipe.

I was going to have a matching cover made, I priced it out though and it would cost more than I paid for the vent off of e-bay. *LOL* So to cut back on costs .. I need a new, inventive idea to cover this area. A logical solution would be to build a beadboard soffit above the vent .. I'm not sure how this would look though since my vent cover is very curvy, instead of angular. Also if you look at the top of the vent, there is a two inch lip up there .. would you run the beadboard behind that lip? Or how would you finish it off?

Any thoughts or opinions how to finish off that area ?

Here's a few pics, stuff is just in there right now. Cabs have to be painted white, that's not where the hoosier sits, that's acutally the sink area .. but this will give you an idea of what the area looks like.

Leading back to that area, floor still needs a couple coats of waterlox.

Comments (13)