SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Mattress Recommendations

Valerie Noronha
13 years ago

DH and I have finally decided to replace our aging mattress and are looking for some recommendations what to replace it with. Are there any must have features or features to do without? Are the mattress toppers any good or better to skip? DH's back has been bothering him lately so we are thinking a firmer mattress might be better.

Also, where are the best stores to good a good price? Are there any internet stores, Overstock, or Costco or just wait for it to go on sale at Macys or ??

TIA!

Comments (22)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My suggestion is not cheap. But I have recommended it to others and they are all amazed. Sealy Spring Free. It is a natural latex mattress. NOT memory foam. Do not get them confused. Memory foam will make you hot. I will spare you with the "returned a mattress for full credit after 18 months and bought the Spring Free" story. The memory foam toppers that they put on the mattresses usually sinks too. This is why ours went back under warranty.

We have a King size, we turn it 1/4 turn every other month. It's not a perfect square but it helps since new mattresses don't get flipped any more.

This mattress comes with a 30 year warranty, which is really telling you how much this thing will hold up. Just try it, you will amazed. Did I mention that when we bought the first new mattress, I woke up with back aches from day one, this spring free one? Never.

Best piece of advice I heard was that you shouldn't consider the mattress to be a luxury item, it is utilitarian. It is there to help you get the rest you need. It's not supposed to be plush--you can do that with your bedding.

We bought ours at a furniture store, Raymour & Flanigan. They are the ones who ok'd the return of the 18 month old mattress, so I believe that their customer service department isn't too difficult to deal with.

There is also a blog you can check out for lots of great information. The guy sells mattresses, but he is not answering questions just for your sale...you'll see what I mean:

Here is a link that might be useful: mattress blog

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Buying a new mattress is not for the faint of heart! It can be very confusing. I found this website: What's the Best Mattress to be very helpful. BTW, we also ended up with a latex mattress.

• Related Discussions

Need a mattress recommendation

Q

Comments (2)
    hey deanna ... isnt the point of the other forum.. so you dont post such here???? .. lol ... i dont care.. i just had to yank your chain ... good luck with the search ... ken
    ...See More

Seeking Good, comfortable low profile full-sized mattress

Q

Comments (4)
    Dear Lauriedeee (nice name, by the way) Thanks for that idea. Good to know that Walmart might be an affordable option (although we are a little concerned my daughter my have some allergies - so I'm not positive about hte down pillow top pad for her - but I think I like the idea for me. I used to have allergies and had to avoid down - but have been getting allergy shots for two years that have been so effective that my allergist gave me the green light for down bedding). Anyone have low profile mattress recommendations? or feedback about Ikea or Room and Board mattresses? Thank you. Lynn.
    ...See More

Do you have a mattress protector?

Q

Comments (12)
    My allergist recommends mattress covers for certain allergies. I believe they are particularly good for dustmites. Something like shown above that completely covers and zips up. Just like pillow protectors (which we use). We use a mattress pad that is waterproof. Has a vinyl backing. I think it is quilted to the cotton covering. It doesn't make any noise, isn't hot and we have used it for years. I don't remember where I bought it, it wasn't expensive and I am a bit sad, because yesterday, while changing the bed I thought to myself that I need to replace it. We don't have children (or grandchildren), our pup is completely housebroken (she does sleep on the end of the bed), but I do think about illness or just some kind of accident. We have always had a waterproof cover on our mattress.
    ...See More

Wool Mattress Pad Recommendations?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you all so much, great recommendations and a lot to think about! @linus... I had one of those from Ikea, it was very thin and had elastic straps and I loved how easy it was to wash. I liked that it protected the mattress but was thin enough to let you still feel the mattress top. The reason I stopped using it was because it didn't breathe well and actually started to pull on the mattress top and ruin the fabric. @livebetter... Really like this one. Do you find the color to be OK with white sheets or does it show through? Here are two more I'm looking at, both completely different though and on the pricey side. Organic Wool Mattress Pad (Like how it's super thin/flat and breathable) Coyuchi Organic Cotton Mattress Pad (Like how it's all natural/cotton)
    ...See More
  • pammyfay
    13 years ago

No recommendations, because everyone is individual and mattresses aren't like recommending a paint color (which is difficult but not as hard as finding the right mattress!), but some pieces of advice:

(1) As Beekeeperswife said, it's not a great idea to get a mattress that has the topper attached (the thing that looks like a featherbed). It goes flat quickly. There are individual bedding materials that will help you get a comfy feel.

(2) Commit yourself to the process fully: You will have to go to several mattress vendors and try out the mattresses. Really try them out--go with your husband (that's a must) and lay down in the positions you tend to fall asleep in (as long as they're G-rated!). Remember that a lot of people have been on those mattresses, so when you evaluate each one, factor in a bit of smooshness.

(3) And the worst thing: It's unlikely you will be able to get a fair comparison when pitting Store A's Sealy ultrafirm mattress, say, against Store B's Sealy ultrafirm mattress. The mattress names will not be the same, although the mattresses underneath the covering could very well be, so you never really know what's what and don't have a way to get the lower-priced store to price-match. The mattress forum sometimes discusses the hidden coding behind that, but I never learned anything from it.

(4) It is a purchase that's as important as your vehicle. You know how much time you spend in bed, and what happens when you don't get a good night's sleep. Meaning: Maybe a $100 price difference isn't what should be the deciding factor between 2 mattresses.

(5) You might be surprised to learn how much thicker new mattresses are nowadays. Your fitted sheets (heck, even the flat sheets) might not even fit anymore.

(6) Be very clear what the return/exchange policy is. When your new mattress is delivered, it might have a strange smell, being wrapped in plastic and kept in a storage facility for some time. The store will say, "Oh, it will air out, give it time." But be mindful of the return-by date.

(7) I think online stores are risky for this purchase. Costco, maybe, if you happen to go into one of their stores and they have a "mattress event" with a few on display. Certainly go to your local furniture stores, because nowadays they really do have to compete with the chain "Sleepys" and "Mattress Warehouse" types of stores, and customer service might be a bit better. Also, just so you can get a range of experience, check out one of the Sleep Number bed stores that are in some malls, just because it's a different kind of thing.

(8) Don't expect to get it done in one shopping trip.

• susanka
    13 years ago

We have a Tempur-Pedic, and love it. My chronic hip aches went away after a few weeks, and I sleep much more comfortably than on previous mattresses.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I sleep on a latex foam mattress that we purchased 30+ years ago from Sears (we lived in a rural area that few stores would deliver to). I absolutely love it. Warm in winter, cool in summer, no offgassing/allergens, firm for the back but comfy on the joints. It shows no signs of wear, except for the handles used to turn it...the mattress itself is still great.

I recently thought of replacing it to downsize from a king, but when I started looking into it, I discovered that many "latex" foam mattresses these days are being sold as natural latex, but are in fact "manufactured latex" from petroleum based products. So you have to be careful if you decide to go with latex to make sure it is truly an all natural product.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

I went through this a couple of months ago, even posted about it...we ended up getting two new pads to simulate the feeling of the high-end Simmons...we've got a 3" thick talalay latex pad under a 2" thick 5.2 lb memory foam. The latex was too bouncy for us, so the memory foam deadens the bounce just enough. It's DREAMY and my incredibly painful lower back problem has gone away.

p.s. we also got talalay natural latex pillows -- they're *great* -- finally pillows we can live with and not have to bunch to get support, and not feel like they're pushing our heads to unnatural angles. It's weird, because I have a latex contact allergy, but the pillows aren't causing any problems.

We took risks and got all these online for the savings -- and we were lucky. If you'd like, I can find the order conf's and let you know the sites we ordered from, just for the information value.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the details and information. Seems there are many options. I've been reading over the website that terriks mentioned, thanks for suggesting it as it's quite informative.

beekeeperwife: Thanks for the suggestion for the Sealy Springfree and latex mattresses. We will be sure to check them out.

pammyfay: I appreciate all of the suggestions and words of wisdom. It does give a better perspective and am so glad to know this before going into the store, which questions to ask. Figures, that different stores won't carry the same mattresses.....

fyleft: So did you get a new mattress as well or just toppers for your existing mattress? The latex mattress sounds interesting, though I also was wondering about allergy. I used to have bad allergies, though after many years of shots, they no longer bother me. I know I was treated for dustmites/mold, but not latex so there could be potential I could develop a new allergy. Seems the mattress is supposed to be hypo-allergenic and repells dust mites, yet somehow the latex itself is not a problem? If it's not too much trouble, I'd be interested to know where you ordered from, though most likely we may purchase from a store. I was thinking I could pick it out locally and then price compare online.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I bought a latex mattress kit from FloBeds.com which was the best decision for me three years ago that I am still very happy with since I had 90 days (they allowed me longer due to my car accident) to switch out latex layers until I came up with the right configuration for my comfort level. I love that I no longer have allergies lying in bed and my bed is so comfortable. There are split layers in my queen bed so each side can be configured differently.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Val, we were going to get a new mattress (one of the higher end Simmons, one of the 'beautyrest black' line iirc -- the one with latex and memory foam over the double springs) but we decided that we could actually just stick with our current mattress, which we'd never used without a topper anyway, since it was still very firm, and just get the top feeling the way we wanted it for much less than the cost of a whole new layout. We also didn't want to buy a mattress with an integrated topper, since the toppers obviously wear out faster than the bases.

• fnmroberts
    13 years ago

After being disappointed with a Stearns and Foster purchased through Macy's that they would not stand behind, we had one built by a local mattress manufacturer.

We live in the Chicago area and Verlo has a very positive reputation here. They have showrooms where you can do the general lie-down test, but within the first 6 months will rebuild their mattress for free one time should you decide that it is too soft or too firm.

Since you have sleep comfort issues, maybe a guarantee of this type would be reassuring.

Good luck.

• housefairy
    13 years ago

I would just like to comment that you need to watch out for the depth of the mattress. I just purchased a new bed and I hate the height of the old mattress set. It sits even higher than when it was on just one of those cheap mattress frame holders. I swear I believe the countertop in the kitchen is the same height! You need a step stool to get into bed. It also covers up most of the headboard. (Which is why I bought this bed is because of it's pretty headboard.) So I actually went out and purchased boards to make slats for under the mattress and did away with the box springs.

They apparently do make a thinner box springs to deal with these ridiculously thick mattresses. So something else to think about. This one that I am complaining about is a pillowtop, which like everyone has stated, you don't want to buy.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

There are few things I hate as much as mattress shopping....

We're at the tail end of a sleep trial with a new mattress and we're trading it in for another model. We did everything right, including trying the beds multiple times at 2 different locations and giving them a 10-15 minute trial run in our usual sleep positions.

Wait, amend that to we did almost everything right.

What we forgot to ask is how long had the mattress been on the floor. As pammyfay wrote, floor models are broken in and a new model won't feel the same. Sometimes the difference isn't large and other times, there can be a big difference. The latter is what we experienced. The bed that felt so great in the store was much too firm for me. They did give us an extended period of time in the hopes that it would break in and be the right bed for us but, unfortunately, the extra time isn't making enough of a difference for me. (hubby can sleep on anything and anywhere.) I can't take it any longer. I'm seeing my PT twice a week because I've had lower back issues since getting the new bed and my shoulder/neck issues - what sent me to the PT initially - have been aggravated.

So I'm back at the store, trying to determine which is the right bed - again. I'm taking my time because I'm so afraid of making another mistake.

So another question to ask is how long has the mattress been on the floor, how does a new model compare to it and how long is the break in period.

We've narrowed down our choices between a natural latex bed and an off-set coil with a Euro top of latex and memory foam. The beds are made locally with as many natural materials as possible (bamboo fabric, organic latex, etc) and, unlike national brands, the company doesn't use egg-crate foams. We had that type of material in our previous pillow-top bed and it compressed and hammocked in short order.

Did I mention that I hate shopping for mattresses? I have to say, though, that we are getting excellent customer service from Parklane. They are going the distance to make sure we are satisfied customers. Now if only I could make up my mind.

To the latex bed owners, do you know what the LDI is for your beds? I'm trying to understand this new terminology.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

One other hting I learned when mattress shopping a few years ago: The size of the boxspring! With the height of today's mattresses being sometimes 14", they also have a 'low profile' box spring to accomodate the thicker mattresses. Also keep in mind the overall thickness or height of both together in relation to your headboard/footboard. I bought my daughter a new mattress for her 1940 poster bed and the mattress comes halfway up the headboard!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Appreciate all the suggestions. So, no mattress topper. Also sounds best to order from a store with a good return policy in case the mattress is not comfortable. I checked Costco, there was nothing there--just a King Postrapedic. I need a queen.

If I were to go with latex, is natural latex the way to go? Does anyone have any recommendations for brands of latex mattresses besides the Sealy Spring-Free?

lisa: I've been putting off replacing our mattress for some of the reasons you mentioned above, but it's (gasp!) 20 years old now and looks vey lumpy. Do you have more specifics about the two mattresses you are considering? Also, what is the advantage of combining the latex and memory foam vs. just natural latex alone?

housefairy/kmcg: That is a good point about the height. I have a sleighbed and mattress could be a bit taller (about 5"); but not more than that. I'm planning to update my bedding anyway--see another post on that soon, and will make sure whatever I get works for a taller mattress. I will make sure to measure before buying to see if I need the shorter boxpring. Do either of you know if they work as well as the standard sized boxspring?

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Ours was only 14 years old so you win ... maybe? ;-)

I swear mattress shopping is like playing the cup game with a con artist (hide a ball under one of 3 cups that move around, guess where the ball is). But I'll share what I've gleaned.

We're going by how each feels in the store, how it will feel new (aiming for as little difference as possible) and how well it will hold up in the long run. Granted its new feel and longevity are dependent on what the salespeople tell us but, as I wrote above, we've received great customer service so we're trusting them.

Innerspring mattresses are still the predominant type of mattress people choose. I'm betting it's because it's what people are familiar with. At least, that's true for us. I used to get all twisted up in knots about wire gauge and coil count but it seems that unless we buy a cheap mattress with limited coils constructed from untempered steel, there isn't a huge amount of difference as far as longevity in quality mattresses. There may be detectable differences in individual comfort but we can't just assume that one with more coils is the best mattress for us.

But back to longevity. As one mattress salesperson told us, it's not the wire foundation that wears out first, it's the padding. That's why we're considering a bed topped with 2" of latex under 2" of Aerus memory foam since they supposedly won't show body impressions as quickly as other types of padding. This mattress has a nice cushy feel to it but I still feel supported by the coil portion of the bed.

A latex bed is a completely new idea for us. The salesperson told us to lay on it for a while since first impressions aren't a good litmus test. The more we lay on it, the more we like it. It feels squishy when I get on it - definitely sinks in when more weight in centered in one spot than a coil bed does - but once I lay down, I feel wonderfully supported. The one we're looking at has a 6" base of 20 LDI natural latex topped with 3" of 19 LDI (the lower the number, the softer the latex). I just wish I knew more about latex beds. We did overhear 2 customers who came in and ask for a latex mattress because they finally need to replace their 20 year old (for one couple) or 30 year old (for the other couple) mattress. That's a good sign. However, I've also heard that today's latex mattresses aren't necessarily equivalent to yesterday's latex mattresses.

We have until Friday to make a decision on our replacement. I swear I know all the salespeople because I go in regularly to lay on the beds, trying to whittle down our choices to THE one. At this point, I don't think we can go wrong with either. I sure hope I'm right. Hubby's leaving this up to me since he can sleep on almost anything. Lucky guy.

I hope you're better at figuring out which cup the ball is under than I am.

Oh, don't forget to ask about weight, too. Our current mattress is unbelievably heavy! It took both of us and no small amount of effort to rotate this mattress. The delivery guys told us it was about 200 lbs (it's a King). Supposedly, the heavier a bed, the longer it will last but I have to wonder if at some point, the difference is moot kind of like coil count. The two we're considering aren't as heavy so rotating it will be easier, ditto for making the bed. I never considered weight until I made the bed after it was delivered. Trying to tuck sheets and blankets in took effort and then some!

Also, my experience with a shorter boxspring (we went with 4") is that it rests just below the bed frame sides. That made making the bed even more difficult since I had to reach under the frame a bit and lift the bed, instead of pushing in from the edge as I could do with a taller boxspring.

I hope I haven't confused you....

• User
    13 years ago

Looks like you're getting a lot of good recommendations. I still can't find that old thread. Nothing is coming up when I search it here or the net. I did find another link that might be helpful.

If you're wondering what we ended up with... my brother-in-law was getting married and his fiance had a newer queen mattress she didn't want. It's a Sealy pillowtop. I always said I didn't want a pillowtop because of dents I heard were created over time. It was pretty new, we know her, she's a clean person, and it was free so we took it. I love the bed. It may not last as long as something new but it will give us more time to decide! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Appreciate all the suggestions. So, no mattress topper.

Actually a removable mattress topper is fine, a pillowtop mattress can have problems.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I agree with the suggestion of a latex mattress. The most comfortable mattress I ever slept on was a latex one for 30 years. Sadly, it finally started deteriorating and I was forced to fid another mattress. At that time, I could not find that anyone was manufacturing latex mattresses, so had to pruchase one with springs. I have never got used to it; the springs seems to dig in to my flesh (this was a very expensive mattress). Finally, within the last three years, I purchased a memory foam topper which is okay. Now that I have found out (through this forum) that latex mattresses are finally available again, I will be looking for one to purchase.

• scanmike
    13 years ago

Okay, so I researched this topic two years ago fully to the point of confusion. Don't go with a coil with topper attached. It will flatten and most mattress can't be turned any more. I had a 30 year old mattress that was still in decent shape so we bought a memory foam topper and got another year out of it. However, I didn't want a petroleum made product to sleep on (I started to freak out when I read about some people's health issues with them). I probably freaked out for no reason though as my daughter loves her tempurpedic. I went with a organic latex from Savvy Rest. I actually went to a store of theirs and tried it out. We got the dunlop layers in a firm, med med configuration. I didn't want a split layer since my husband basically sleeps on my side. It is well made and the company has been great. My problem is that latex softens and the bed slopes towards the middle. I have turned it over and rotated it countless times in the past 2 years and it sill slopes where your body weight is greatest. I was getting pressure point pain. BTW, my husband weighs 160 lbs and I weigh 118 lbs. I think that latex is good if you aren't used to a firm coilspring mattress. The company offered to switch layers again, but I know that won't remedy the problem. I now have the firm layer on top. They did send me free of charge a very expensive wood topper which helped with the pressure point problem. I do sleep better with that addition. I still wake up sore though from the bed being a bit too soft and so does my husband. We are sidelyers. The good thing about latex is that there is no transfer of movement. You don't waken when the other person moves. In hindsight, I should have gotten a firm coil with topper. This bed was expensive and I feel so guilty for making my husband get rid of his old bed. Also this site is helpful http://blog.pennlive.com/mattress/about.html

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I have a Tempurpedic mattress and I love it. I do not find the bed too hot - and I'm a 52 year old woman:)

If something were to happen to this mattress I would replace it immediately with the same thing. I find that I sleep much more comfortably on my mattress than on an innerspring mattress.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

We just got a new mattress this summer. I had a Sealy Posturpedic plush from my former home, but DH finds it too soft. It is hard to find a more firm mattress.

The best selection we found was at Macy's, and we have their Memoryworks memory foam, but it is a firm, so we don't sink down as much. It feels just like a regular mattress.

The bed is a little high, but we've gotten used to it. Should've probably ordered the lower profile box spring, or else a lower profile bed frame.

• suero
    13 years ago

You can get both a lower profile box spring and a lower profile bed frame, but then the bed skirt, if you have one, can only have a 9" drop.