SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Matelasse questions.

User
13 years ago

Ok this might sound like a stupid question but I've always used a vellux blanket and patterened comforter growing up. I'm hoping your answers will help narrow down my selections!

Are matelasse covers soft? I'm one that likes to stuff covers all up and around my head at night. I think a matelasse looks somewhat stiff and not practical (for me) to actually sleep under. They also don't look like they hold any heat in (like my well loved vellux :) )

Are they heavy? I hate heavy feeling covers.

Maybe some type of down alternative comforter would be better for me? Coverlet?

I need to find a solid main blanket for our bed. I'm leaning towards a tan color. I'm still strongly considering using an off white or tan color vellux under this main blanket.

I'm having these pillows made for our bed. The floral print will replace the paisley.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (81)

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Have you tried Target? Fieldcrest has some nice ones!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Shee: First off how do you plan to layer your pillows with the three fabrics? If you are layering like in your inspiration pic with the plaid to the back then I think the gold would work. The gold looks best with the houndstooth and the floral and is similar to the coverlet on your inspiration pic. I'm wondering though if it could also work with the red. Here is a pic of the one I bought:

What did you think of the blanket in terms of the weight, texture and size? Like I had said in my thread, I think it would work better as a comforter than as a blanket. I found it to be a good size.

• Related Discussions

norasnews...I have a question...please help me!

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi! Sorry I was gone all day! I thought they were reasonable. (Considering a slipcover at target was 80.00!!!) I used a seamstress... and it was her BRILLIANT idea.. when I told her I was looked for the cheapest but still chic look!! She charged me around 350 for couch and 225ish for each chair.. the smaller a little less I believe.. around 700 for it all.. She came and cut and pinned here, then sewed offsite.. they have dressmaker details i could not have added, skirt, zippers, seams, piping.. etc Oh, I had to wash all the dropcloths first. to soften em up.. and she ironed them before she brought them back....
    ...See More

Cream vs. white bedding. Questions.

Q

Comments (21)
    Mtn - I'll definitely stay away from dry clean items. No food or drink in the room. We do have cats but they aren't on the bed these days. I didn't even realize the item had to be all cotton to use bleach. I never gave it any thought. Hmorton - I totally forgot about the laundry forum. I'll check there too, thanks! Christy - Good idea. Boop - Oh, I'm not sure. I'm still brainstorming. I think I'm going to use the buffalo check in my one bathroom. I ordered two other samples (one of a larger check) in the same wheat/cream color to see. Zippity - Thanks for the cleaning feedback! Tina - The red coverlet I have on our bed now is 100% cotton but it's nice and oversized. Size was something I was concerned about for the next purchase. I thought I wanted all cotton again but is it common to have issues with covers being too short on the sides and bottom? Sounds like white and/or cream bedding isn't a big deal to care for. I'm still trying to decide how much I want to budget for it since it's going to be somewhat experimental for me. I do know I want a THICK AND FLUFFY duvet. I read recently about the need to punch and fluffy them up. Really? Please tell me they make ones that I don't need the assistance on a regular basis? It's just one more thing. Thank you everyone for your feedback and thoughts!
    ...See More

Will these fabrics works for my sunroom?

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks everyone. I think I will have the curtains made and the room painted and wait and see before committing to the white for the chairs. I love the curtain fabric and if the white looks wrong I'm sure I could find a creamier matelasse if I look hard enough. I just want to have it all "done" but I don't want to regret any decisions either. My kids think the empty room is pretty fun anyways! I'll update with pictures when those steps are done:)
    ...See More

Question about upholstery fabric style/name

Q

Comments (9)
    It is hard to find things of that nice quality for a reasonable price. Like bedsheets...percale...wonderful things..still have some flat sheets my Mother purchased!!... how long ago?? that do not wear out and do not wrinkle no matter how many times they wave on the clothesline or get washed. Been thru too many sets of sheets the past 15 years. They are almost slimey thin....they get balled up knots on the surface, the wrinkle like crazy. When Burlington Mills shut down, I think someone began making sheets from recycled panty hose? Really. They are not any thicker than 2 pair worn together. And no, I am not going to pay 300 dollars for bed sheets. $30 to $60 is the limit, and they will be used till they are in shreds..typically the bottom sheet goes first, and I have been known to put that percale flat sheet on for a rotation till the top shreds next... Nuts.
    ...See More
  • Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

What you need to do in picking out your comforter is to have a spot on match to one of the colors in all three of your fabrics. That could be brown, red, olive or tan--but it needs to match exactly and that is what you are missing. I do think the red could work--esp. if you add a tan coverlet/blanket at the bottom. Or if you do tan comforter over the top, then do a red/brown coverlet/quilt/what-have-you folded at the bottom. Once you figure out that, then you will have more luck finding the pieces. It will also be helpful to see these next to your lovely new bed.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Another thought is, could you do a teawash to the gold? Hmmm.... Give it a more old world/vintage look?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kmcg - My Target has nothing. :( The fieldcrest online looked nice in the darker chocolate color.

Val - I plan on doing the same as the inspiration photo. Our head pillows will be either behind the euros or flat and the euros on top and I use an extra pillow so I was going to try and see how that looked between the euros and houndstooth like in the photo. Although I think theirs is actually a decorative white pillow instead.

"floral and is similar to the coverlet on your inspiration pic"
    That's actually the same floral fabric from the photo. (Nell Hill's sent me all the fabrics from the photo! Yay.) In the photo, it's actually a reversable duvet made out of the floral and a smaller houndstooth. The smaller houndstooth has the same colors as the larger one.

I'm using these two fabrics together in the bathroom for the shower curtain and valance. (left - the floral with small houndstooth)
    {{!gwi}}
    I think the weight of the Cindy Crawford blanket seems good. I'm ok with a little weight just nothing crazy heavy.

That comforter looks really red. Hmm.. the red in the fabrics are more of a burgundy.

You think the gold could work, huh? I think it's deeper IRL than it's showing in these photos. I was also concerned about the diamond with smaller diamond pattern on the comforter above. Do you think it would be too busy?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't want to use a Vellux a main blanket but just for color purposes, here's what it looks like against my tan one.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

It's more of a warm rusty red, which yours look like on my monitor; but if they are really burgundy, then it won't work. In your pics, it looks like the duvet is olive and matches to the olive in the houndstooth. You could go that route or try to match to the tan in the houndstooth. Either would be a good match--if you can find something. It probably would be best to just get the pillows made first and the purchase several likely candidates for the comforter and mock them up on your bed. Sometimes what may not look so good closeup is fine given the overall appearance. Personally, I was not impressed with the down alt. blankets from JCP. It just felt like a quilt--no loft. The down alt. comforter I bought for my DD from Pottery Barn is very nice so I guess they can vary. I had also purchased the Natori down one in ivory from Tuesday Morning to try out. I really liked the loft and lightness of that blanket. Not sure what I'm going to use. Most likely I'm going to return 90% of what I bought. I find it hard to compare unless I can have everything all together--not just look in the store.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

DId you see this one at JCP? The Sage or Western Khaki look like possibilities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Down ALt Comforter

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, the rusty red won't work.

I agree the duvet looks olive in the pic but the houndstooth upclose has brown and a "brownish/olivey" color with the cranberry and cream/tan background.
    I've been seeing a lot of sage color vs. olive in the stores. Of course, you're right things look different once on the bed. I'm sure lighting plays a big role too.

I agree the down alternative ones you bought feels more like a quilt. Someone looking for a fluffy down alt. would be disappointed. I guess I don't really care what the top cover is as long as it's not too heavy feeling and looks nice with the pillows.

The down alternative you linked to is the same one I took a pic of today. Above where I said "HereâÂÂs a tan down alternative from JCP. "
    I liked how it looked IRL. I think it would look nice a little darker. Again, it might be better once in the room on the bed. The sage was nice too and could possibly work once in the room.

I should probably walk away from this for now until the pillows come.

Oh, also if I didn't mention in this thread already, the bedskirt will be the houndstooth fabric like the pillows.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Of what you've looked at so far then I think the tan one from JCP is the best option--esp. with the houndstooth bedskirt; but it doesn't hurt to keep looking. Have you checked out The Company Store (online)? They have nice, good quality bedding which I have ordered from in the past. I would not give up though on how it feels, though, as your earlier posts show it was important that something be light and snuggly which is why you ruled our the matelasse to begin with. What were your thoughts for the blanket at the bottom--or were you going to skip that? I agree no need to finalize until the pillows come and good you are taking your time to think about what you do/do not like. For me, I think I prefer the real down, though my DDs down alterative comforter from PB is very light/fluffy. You will still need to see how it fits in with yor WTs, carpet, and wall color. Are you planning to paint?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since IâÂÂm replacing the red paisley pillow from the inspiration pic with the floral, I thought it would be neat if I could find a red paisley blanket for the bottom. IâÂÂd also use that just on my side for extra cover if needed. So far, I canâÂÂt find a paisley blanket. Also, will a blanket at the end look stupid if itâÂÂs not fluffy. Espeically if I end up with a fluffy down alternative blanket as the main cover? I really donâÂÂt think I want to mess with a duvet. It sounds like such a pain.

I definitely will be painting. I was thinking maybe something like the color of Nell HillâÂÂs Winter Wheat. IâÂÂd like to see what my BM Palace White sample looks like.
    {{!gwi}}
    DlmâÂÂs room in BM Palace White
    {{!gwi}}
    I donâÂÂt know. Maybe I should have an olive colored top cover instead of gold if IâÂÂm using something like those shades above?

Should I be focusing on my bedding before the curtains or should that not be too far in the back of my mind? I was thinking maybe dark brown faux silk curtains like my LR, or deep gold like Newhomebuilders Chris Madden Mystique curtains in Aspen Gold (?). The thought of going lighter and using canvas drop cloths crossed my mind too but then the walls maybe should go darker? I am going to use a medium color bamboo shade with some variation.
    NewhomebuilderâÂÂs room
    {{!gwi}}
    Drop cloth curtains. IâÂÂm pretty confident I could hem them and make a rod pocket. Could also use rings.
    {{!gwi}}

My carpet is a light cream/white color.

IâÂÂm open to any suggestions.

HereâÂÂs a few from the CompanyStore I liked
    This one is called a comforter/duvet. Sooâ¦do they mean itâÂÂs a comforter for a duvet? Will it look stupid to have a puffy blanket like this as the main bedding with those pillows? Look too much like a sleeping bag?
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/La-Crosse%C2%AE-Primaloft%C2%AE-Deluxe-Comforter-/-Duvet/CT18-ps-R10,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=comforters-down-alternative&prefn1=color&prefv1=Brown

I like this one in the Jungle Green which looks olive on my screen.
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/St.-Tropez%C2%AE-Solid-Lightweight-TCS%C2%AE-Down-Free%E2%84%A2-Comforter-/-Duvet/CQ60-R10,default,pd.html?dwvar_CQ60-R10_color=AQUAMARINE&start=3&cgid=comforters-down-alternative&prefn1=color&prefv1=Brown%7cGreen

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Is this in place of the velux?

Here is a link that might be useful: co. store

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, it would be too warm (at least for DH) with the vellux also. We'd just use a sheet and the down alt. I'd like to have a blanket at the end of the bed to use on my side if I get cold.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

The one from the Company Store is worded very oddly. What it looks to mean is that you can either use it as a comforter or an INSERT for a duvet. Too bad there aren't any reviews. I feel more comfortable ordering something online that has reviews.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I absolutely LOVE The Company Store!

Shee, are you deliberately wanting a "fluffy" look? If not, I'd get a bedspread and put your velux under it. Maybe another blanket on top of the velux in case the bedspread gets in the way when you sleep and you can fold it at the bottom at night.

I use a different patterned quilts all year round, no top sheet. In the winter I add my velux under it and that way I can kick off the blankets from my legs. I always have to have a leg sticking out. lol

• tamaragarcia
    13 years ago

Lots of thanks friend for searing this all information.Another thought is, could you do a teawash to the gold?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Shee - I think that one is a bit too fluffy looking - in my opinion and based on your inspiration pic. I have used a duvet without anything inside it before - it's just kind of like a coverlet - have you considered doing that? Also, have you considered having a duvet made? You could have one side done in one of your fabrics, then to save $$$ the other side could be a sheet. Just a thought. But keep looking and you'll find something that works. I think you are like me in that you do not *settle* for something. Which is a good thing imo because usually if I do not get what I have in mind, I end up regretting it. LOL

tina

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - I love finding reviews too before ordering something.

Oakley -âÂÂare you deliberately wanting a "fluffy" lookâÂÂ. *Thinkingâ¦* No. I believe I ended up in this direction because I didnâÂÂt want something heavy and a matelassé didnâÂÂt look snuggly. I was originally looking at thinner down alts but I ventured off the path trying to find something in the right color. IâÂÂd love to find something in the brown/olive color of the houndstooth. None of the covers IâÂÂve look at have that rich color IâÂÂm looking for. Grr.

I also donâÂÂt think a real fluffy blanket is going to look super with the pillows. I want a blanket folded at the end of the bed and if I get something super poufy and then have a flat blanket folded up. ⦠I canâÂÂt picture that looking nice. A âÂÂbedspreadâ is the one that actually goes to the floor on the sides? Should I be looking for a coverlet?

Feeling defeated, it would probably be easier to buy a matelassé and fold it down at night. Use a vellux and that folded blanket at the end could be extra cover for me at night.

Notice the inspiration photo has a fluffy white (duvet?) at the end of the bed. Since I love the inspiration photo so much maybe I should try and keep it true to that. Get a white fluffy cover for the end, for myself at night. Maybe a twin size?

Tamara - IâÂÂm sure you wonâÂÂt be back to read this, but thanks for the chuckle this morning.

Tina - I thought a duvet without something inside would look sloppy? Since IâÂÂve never looked at one close, I donâÂÂt know. IâÂÂm picturing it to feel like a big pillow case. I have thought of having something made. I wonder how many yards of fabric IâÂÂd need.
    Yeah, this is one of those things I'm not willing to settle. I'm determined to have a bedroom that I'm thrilled with every time I walk in the door.

Ha, bless you all for still reading my threads! :)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

"Yeah, this is one of those things I'm not willing to settle. I'm determined to have a bedroom that I'm thrilled with every time I walk in the door."

Honestly, isn't that how we should feel about our bedrooms? I feel your pain - I know how it is when you get something in mind and can't find it!!!

The duvet I used without a stuffing was kind of a heavy weight cotton. It wasn't sloppy at all - kind of like a blanket. I can't tell if the one in your inspiration is stuffed or not. I bet you could search online and find the amount of fabric (and even directions) for sewing a duvet.

A coverlet is going to be more the size or a quilt or comforter - it wouldn't go to the floor. Unless I'm wrong, I dont' think you are wanting a bedspread. Yes, it would go to the floor. To be honest, i rarely see bedspreads anymore.

Okay some thoughts after going back and looking at your inspiration pic a bit closer. You could do the white fluffy at the bottom. Notice how they've got a white pillow/sham added in with the other pillows. And white sheets. That would work. Then if you wanted to do your walls a bit darker, I could see white panels working. OR if you could find an ivory/creme color for the fluffy thing and then sham and sheets - you could pull your drop cloth panels in.

BTW, I had drop cloth slips made for my wicker chair and loveseat in my sunroom. The lady called them slipcovers but they are really just cushion covers that are removeable and washable. She did the back pillows also. They turned out GREAT. The fabric (once you wash and bleach the dropcloth) is soft, with a nubby texture kind of like linen. There are little specks in the fabric. I think it is going to wear really well too. She did the piping out of the same fabric. I'm looking for some floral pillows and want a long burlap or linen pillow to use also. Sorry to get off topic - your talk of drop cloth got me going!!

And - I love reading your threads - so keep 'em coming.

tina

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina -" Yeah, then I donâÂÂt want a bedspread for sure since IâÂÂm having a bedskirt made.

Since I use two pillows, IâÂÂll already have one for the middle white in the inspiration.

I really like the look of the drop cloth curtains. And I think theyâÂÂd look nice paired with medium colored bamboo romans. I like that the drop cloth curtains appear to have some texture. IâÂÂm turning into a texture nut all of a sudden. Do you have to bleach them? I kind of like the light camel color they are. Will they fad out with washing if you donâÂÂt use bleach? ThatâÂÂs probably a silly question but IâÂÂve never washed a drop cloth. When searching, some photos look lighter and others, like above, look like they're not bleached.

IâÂÂd love to see pics of your chairs!

I went to thefind.com and typed in tan coverlet. Found this from the Company Store. Check out this tan matelassé. It says âÂÂmade from 100% lightweight cottonâ I just saw a 20% coupon code floating at the bottom of this page too.

I think the color could work. ?

Here is a link that might be useful: tan matelasse

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I like that one Shee! It looks to be a deeper color.

Re the dropcloths - I wanted more of an ivory color. I had a Pottery Barn catalog with some dark wicker and the ivory cushions. I really liked the look. I followed the bleaching directions on a blog (you know me and my blogs!), I think it might have been Ms. Mustardseed. She has done alot of upholstering and slipcovering with dropcloths. The dropcloths are very stiff and smelly when you buy them. You need to wash in hot water so they'll shrink before you use them. She likes the lighter color also so I followed her how-to for adding bleach. They are a really great texture. I know Red did drop cloth curtains, wonder how she did hers? I don't think you'd have to worry about them fading without bleaching them.

I like my cushions so well that I'm considering having a chair upholstered in drop cloth fabric (it's just the back and seat that are upholstered, the arms/legs are wood) and slipcovering a small ottoman to use with the chair - to use in our bedroom. I love the pleated skirts and may attempt that on the ottoman. I'm pretty sure I can do a simple box slipcover for an ottoman. Hubby would build it.

See - I'm off topic again! I'll dig through Ms. Mustardseed's blog and see if I can find those washing/bleaching instructions.

tina

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Here you go. She even has a close-up where you can see pretty well what the bleached fabric looks like.

tina

Here is a link that might be useful: Ms. Mustardseed's dropcloth slipcovers

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina

Yeah, I really like the color of that one from the Company Store. Not too dark but a little deeper than anything else IâÂÂve been seeing. I also like that the pattern isn't too fussy.

Thanks for linking to that. I never saw her blog but itâÂÂs now bookmarked! IâÂÂve been to a Mustard Seed store before! Never knew there was a lady behind it with a blog.

I somehow missed that Red was doing drop cloth curtains. She hasnâÂÂt been around lately. Where are you Red?

Hmm.. she describes the bleached color as a white with a gray cast. The word gray (for my house) sends me running. Maybe it wouldnâÂÂt be too noticeable though with my lighting and if I use a white/cream blanket at the end of the bed. Do you think they scream âÂÂIâÂÂm a drop cloth!â without being bleached? I love the fact that theyâÂÂre cheap too but wonder if people will âÂÂknowâ and theyâÂÂll look cheap. Do you know of anyone to line them with blackout liner?

Another advantage to using them would be I could buy wide widths so I could possibly get away with only on each side. I want to be able to open and close whatever curtains I end up with.

Maybe I could even fancy them up somehow with fabric or trim. Wheels are turning.

I'm excited to get the bed and bath stuff. I wonder if the fabric made it to Nanny2a's house yet.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Bedspreads are still being made and used. I don't like them myself because of their length.

Shee, a coverlet or even a solid color quilt would be nice, and much easier to find.

I don't think anyone wants to "settle" when it comes to bedding, but for me comfort comes first and aesthetics come last.

Since you'll be using a bedskirt, it should be relatively easy to find solid color quilts/coverlets to match which would be both comfortable and "aesthetic."

I do miss the look of a bedspread with the pillows covered firmly in it, with a blanket folded across the bottom. But they're just not practical if you want a good nights sleep.

And since you live in a cold climate, nothing is cozier than layered bedding at night with the thermostat turned down low!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oakley we must have posted at the same time.

I don't think that matelasse in the link looks heavy or like some of the others I've seen IRL. Pictures can be deceiving though. I'm going to keep looking for a solid coverlet in the stores. I'd honestly like to find something a little cheaper than that. Deep down I want to still use a vellux. :)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Oakley, I think she should be able to find both - comfort and looks. It's out there, may just take some searching.

Shee re the dropcloths - mine do not look gray at all. What I'd do if I were you is to go and buy just one of the smaller ones. I think the size I bought was around $7 each. I bought several of the smaller ones (still a good size), because the large ones are harder to bleach evenly in the washing machine. The fabric is pretty heavy so I'm not sure you'd need a blackout liner - especially if you want them stationary with a shade. I wish Red would chime in on this - maybe do a shout-out for her. I know she recently made drop cloth curtains.

I don't think Ms. Mustardseed has anything to do with the stores - she has just started displaying some of her items in two shops - antique type malls, I'm thinking. Mustardseed Creations is the name of her business. She's so sweet - I bought one of her book page wreaths and I'm going to get some of her glittered letters for Christmas.

I wonder how far she is from you? She's also in PA.

tina

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I think those dropcloth curtains would look amazing with what you have planned so far, though I do also very much like newhomebuilder's curtains as well. Since nothing else has a sheen in your room, though, my vote is for the dropcloth. I agree with tina, you should be able to find both comfort and aesthetics. I wonder if you should just keep the velux and layer the matelasse on top so the velux is hidden. Since you now have a footboard there should not be a problem of the folding down the matelasse at night at the base since it won't fall off the bed. It seems to have quite a comfort value for you which can be not just the physical aspects, but emotional as well. For many years I was very attached to sleeping with handmade afghans because my grandmother made them for me when I was little. I don't sleep with one anymore though I do still have them in my home and there is still nothing like snuggling up in one on a cold winter's night.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I ran across this plaid yesterday and thought how beautifully it coordinated with your floral fabric! I know I'm not helping one bit!

• tinam61
    13 years ago

SHEE - that plaid is gorgeous!!! kmcg85 - I think she should try to use it! I love how it pulls some aqua (blue?) out.

Val, that is so sweet about the afghans. I don't use it now, but I have kept the child-size feather pillow my great grandmother made me. She made all her pillows. I used to take it and lay it in her lap and she would scratch my head!

Memories . . .

tina

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

oops! Forgot you already have a plaid. I was trying to find a comforter or duvet cover or something and I came across this and thought how perfect!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quick vent and update:
    Nanny2a is working on everything. Yay!

There's a little snafu I have to call Nell Hill's about in the morning. Nell Hill's girl I've been dealing with not only has issues talking about and sending me fabric samples but she can't write down an order either. She shorted me on floral fabric. Luckily Nanny2a has enough for the shower curtain valance but I need another 1.5 yards for the window valance I'm making. Hopefully they don't think I'm paying for shipping again. When I placed the order, she didn't know how they ship things (Really?) She also didn't give me a total. Which, I had it figured up so no biggie at that time. Someone was to call me and let me know a grand total. Two days later I called. I found out the shipping amount but the lady couldn't help me with the rest. I figured I'd find out from the packing slip....which they failed to put in with the fabric. I've just about had it with customer service. Lowes, Pergo, Overstock, Nell Hill's, the local pizza joint,... :P

Tina - I'm glad to hear you're not seeing gray. Where are your chair pics!? Now that I think about it, The Mustard Seed store around here had Yankee candles and that type of things. Oops. I saw she was in PA too so that's what made me think of it.

Val - I was staring in the room a little bit ago and I'll at least be buying a drop cloth to check it out. I really think it could work. I have large drapery rings I originally had in my LR and am wondering if I should use rings or sew a large rod pocket for easy opening and closing. Something I don't need to worry about for a little while.
    Yeah, I really think I'd like to find a way to keep the a vellux. I'll need to order a different one (either tan or ivory) since we have a queen bed now.

Kmcg! :) C'mon! What are you doing? My shower curtain fabric is already ordered. That is really sharp. I'm telling myself the colors won't match IRL. It could've worked for the shower curtain though. Remember I'll have that large red/green/black plaid for the euro shams so maybe that would be too much large plaid? Again, I'm trying to talk myself out of something pretty.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Sorry, You're right... it wouldn't work IRL! I'm sure of it :)

Tomorrow's Friday...you've had a long week with all this and your stairs. Happy hour is less than 24 hrs. away!! Enjoy it!

Nanny2a, hurry, we wanna see!!!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kmcg - I'm only working a 1/2 day tomorrow so it'll be sooner. :)

My ottoman should be here tomorrow too. Please God, let it be in one piece.

p.s. You don't know how bad I want to order a sample of that fabric.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Nell HillâÂÂs girl I was dealing with wasn't in so they gave the phone to the manager. She was very nice and apologetic at first. She also couldn't tell me the original total and acted very annoyed when I asked (remember there was no packing slip). She's going to call me back about that but we'll see. No call yet and that was a few hours ago. So I have no idea if I was charged for 2 1/2 yards of floral or 1 1/2. IâÂÂll just check my with my credit card. I was very pleasant and polite up until the point where she told me they weren't going to ship the fabric for free. She agree to do so finally but was rude and all but hung up on me. Once I get my fabric and this is all straightened out, I'll be writing them a letter. I normally wouldn't bother but I placed a large order and there was no reason for her to talk to me the way she did. Get some competent employees and we wouldn't have this problem.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Good gravy! I just wouldn't have expected that from Nell Hill! I just look at the log and there is contact and Mary Garrity's email is listed (now who knows if she really reads it). I'd be a bit inclined to send her an email telling how excited you are about your bedroom and using the inspiration pic, etc. then let her know how bad the service has been. I cannot believe THEY would act annoyed when they are the ones that made the mistake. I would certainly write a letter.

tina

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

OR leave a comment on facebook! That'll get their attention! They post daily!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"I just wouldn't have expected that from Nell Hill!"
    I know! I wouldn't be as shocked if it was just some random store.

I'm cooled down now about it and I'm just telling myself maybe the lady was having a bad day or has stuff going on in her personal life. If something upsets me I know I don't always act pleasant. Example, how my tone changed once she told me they weren't going to pay the shipping. Now, I didn't yell or cuss at her but I was no longer friendly. Maybe if my attitude wouldn't of turned the conversation wouldn't have ended the way it did. (Although her attitude sucked before that.) Still not ok that she acted that way but that's what I'm going with anyhow.

No phone call on the total btw. However, I did receive the recipts in the mail today for the fabric total and the shipping. It was rang up right so it must have been the lady in the warehouse that messed up. I thought about calling her back and letting her know but I don't want to poke the bear anymore.

I did use that email before to ask about the deer toile I was interested in. Whoever it goes to, it was forwarded to one of the stores and someone in there finally got back to me, days later.

I don't have fb anymore so I can't leave a comment but you're right Kmcg, it would!

I don't know that I feel like bothering to write a letter at this point. Maybe an email to that address but to send it to the store.. remember it was the manager I was talking to that acted like that.

I will say, they better not charge anything else to my card after they told me they wouldn't!

On a happy note, my ottoman is here and in one piece. :) Going to post about that in a min.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Shee, why can't you still use the veluxe? Put it under your main coverlet and just use it. You can always kick off the top bedding when you sleep.

I'll be putting on my veluxe pretty soon. Last night I grabbed a folded blanket in the room and put it on top of my other blanket and slept like a hibernating bear. :) I love this cold weather, especially at night when I always crack a window for the cold breezes.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Shee, why can't you still use the veluxe? Put it under your main coverlet and just use it."
    Oh yeah, I would. Is yours the Vellux brand? I have three of them and the one if way less quality than the others. It looks cheap up close. I think it's by Martha Stewart. I was thinking of buying a Martex one if go this direction.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I looked at the RL chaps one again. I was thinking it was a matelassé but it says coverlet right on the front.

It feel lightweight enough. I think alone, it wouldnâÂÂt be warm enough so I could use my vellux underneath.

I have yet to see a tan IRL that I like. TheyâÂÂre not dark enough. I really like this color and how it looks with the other fabrics. This could be the winner. What do you guys think?
    Flash
    {{!gwi}}
    Without flash
    {{!gwi}}

100% cotton. It says machine wash and dry on low. Do you really think it would shrink a bunch on that setting?

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Almost, but not quite. Sorry. I think it really needs to coordinate well with the houndstooth which you are using as a bedskirt. I don't see that color in any of the colors in the houndstooth. I do like the look of the coverlet, though.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Have you checked Bed Bath & Beyond Online? I saw a few options that could work in the tan color family, even a few in a rich brown.

I liked this one: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16909742&RN=42&KSKU=122760&;

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB Coverlets/Quilts

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Drat. I agree with you.

This one isnâÂÂt at my local store so before I drive (not that far) to see it, what do you think of this one? Pretend it doesnâÂÂt say Wal Mart. (see link)

For BB&B, did you see them online? I saw some dark brown ones..

There's still that tan one I linked above to the Company Store.
    http://www.thecompanystore.com/Oasis-Matelass%C3%A9/CY38-ps,default,pd.html?src=T9SHOPZ&cm_ven=ShopZilla&cm_cat=quilts-bedspreads-coverlets&cm_pla=Oasis%20Matelass�%20&cm_ite=CY38_Q_TAN&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=23-116764726-2

Here is a link that might be useful: Coverlet

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Or, I know you did not want to hassle with a duvet, but there really are a lot of duvets in solids. If you used a blanket as an insert it would not be that fluffy.

This one looks interesting as material looks to be similar weave to your fabrics--woven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Bobby Dot Duvet

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - I'm still fighting the duvet thing for now.

HereâÂÂs pics of the walmart coverlet. I think itâÂÂs nicer IRL that the online photo. ItâÂÂs soft, lightweight, and not shiny.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

They also have this dark brown one but I think I like the lighter one better.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Neither one is a 100% match but I think they blend well. Thoughts? My bedding should be here Thursday. :)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I think I would try that lighter brown one from Walmart. I'd go ahead and get it and once the pillows, etc. come - I'd lay it all out and see how you like it, seeing that you can return it easily.

Can't wait to see it all together!!

tina

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I like the tan/brown ones better than the olive because the olive ones fight with the tan/browns in the houndstooth fabric. Your burlap curtains should be more the color of the lighter color in the houndstooth correct? So, going a little darker with the coverlet would add more interest plus contrast with the walls/carpet. Then perhaps ivory sheets.

Why not do what I do and buy both and try them out on your bed when the pillows and bedskirt come in. It'd be nice to see how it is all put together and how it coordinates with the iron bed as ideally, you want it to contrast with the iron as well. Have you seen any quilts/blankets to fold at the bottom?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val - Burlap sounds much nicer than canvas drop cloth, lol. Yes, I checked yesterday and it's about the same color. I'm thinking the lighter one will be dark enough once in the room. I'm hesitant to buy the dark chocolate one because of cat hair but I don't know that it will make that much of a difference. They're not always on the bed. Just depends on the day. The coverlet is 94" x 90" so I'm not sure if that's a good size or not for my queen bed.

I do have ivory sheets on right now actually. They came free with the bed and I picked "beige" but they look a white/ivory.

I think I'd like to get a white/ivory something like the inspiration pic for the bottom.

I'll pick up the coverlets so I have them ready.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

"I was thinking it was a matelassé but it says coverlet right on the front."
    A coverlet is simply any covering for the bed. A quilt is a coverlet. Matelasse is also a coverlet, but the term has to do with the decorative stitching of heavy fabric. Unlike a quilt, which has light padding in between the layers, matelasse has no padding. Instead it is the sewn pattern of the fabric that creates the look. Matelasse is a coverlet too, although lighter. Sorry for the brief description, but don't drive yourself crazy with the confusing terms. One has a layer of batting, one doesn't. A matelasse will not be as warm and can be used at the foot of the bed for decoration.
    Having seen the RL in person, it is a little warmer than the pic shows, but you have to be the best judge of whether it works or not. I also second waiting until the pillows get there and try both colors to get the whole picture.

• carolfm
    13 years ago

Shee, I do what Val does, I bring all the options home and try them in the room and then take back what doesn't work. Often the choice that I thought would be perfect isn't the one that works at all! It is a little bit more of a pain to haul all that stuff around and have to return it though.

Carol