SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbycat9990_gw

Need color inspiration for open plan rooms

abbycat9990
16 years ago

I posted this in Kitchens, then I realized it fits better here. Please help!

We recently completed our new kitchen. We abandoned the old double galley and put the kitchen in the dining area. The old kitchen is now a laundry / craft room.

The house is cruciform in shape, and the living room, den and new kitchen form the east, north and west-facing portions of the top of the cross (the foyer leads to the bed and bath area, or the long part of the cross). The public rooms are anchored by a huge chimney with fireplaces facing into all but the foyer. When we bought it last year, we painted the entire house SW Vanillin. It's a bright, warm color, and our last house had been soooo shady and dark....

Anyway, after the remodeling was complete, we painted the new kitchen and the living room walls SW Dover White, as it seemed to work well with the natural maple cabinets, as well as the walnut and cherry in the living room. But now the backsplash tiles (Modwalls.com "Backgammon", no longer available!) look yellow next to it. Perhaps we erred when choosing the grout? Or was the color (Autumn) mixed too light? Or maybe it's those cf bulbs. We are now planning to pick up a color from the tiles and paint the wall above them SW Positive Red. (Note - when we chose this tile, we planned to paint the rooms a deep gold color. But the maple has red tones, so we abandoned that idea.)

The den is visible just past the tile wall (follow link below to see fuzzy photos), so we'd like to paint it a complementary color. It's a darkish room, even though it has windows on 3 walls and is open to the kitchen and living room. The 4' overhangs really shade that room.

The living room will stay white (for now) as DH just spent a weekend painting it and, dagnamit, won't be doing it again any time soon! The 50s blinds will be replaced with dark wood blinds, and we hope to replace the brown rug with a red shag area rug.

Finally, in the foyer (primed and ready), we will replace the light fixture (sputnik?) and cover the walls with a retro / boomerang wallpaper with black, silver, tan and red accents (http://www.usawallpaper.com/rugoretowa1.html). The wallpaper helped us to decide on the tile combo.

Re tile: we planned to install it ourselves, after contractors were gone, so that's why we settled on a 30" high backsplash. As it happens, we let them do it (huge mistake, I could have done a more careful job!) and now we see the error of our ways. If I could, I'd rip the tile out, re-drywall and start from scratch.

Suggestions for the grout and the wall colors would be very welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rooms

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor