SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Looking for a 'new' neutral that is not beige-based

jockewing
13 years ago

About a year ago, I painted my living room SW Ramie, which is a tan with some green and gold undertones. I like the color OK, but the lighting in the room is not that great, and I think using a cool color might help the room feel fresher.

Most of my adult life, I have always preferred the warmer neutral colors (beiges, yellow-greens, golds). I am now so tired of that realm, and I have really started to get into the cool colors. It was such a revelation to me to see the way the cool colors played so well with the warm tones of wood furniture to create a balance of warm and cool. I have gone nuts with blue-greens and I just love them. I was always afraid of blue walls, but I'm so glad I took the plunge and painted some rooms in the house various blue colors--so relaxing and soothing.

So, that brings me to my search for a cool neutral to use in the living room. I thought about a blue, but I think that would be overkill with too much blue in the house. Right now, I'm thinking about a grey-green, but I am scared of grays. Will that look dreary?

It seems like a lot of people are moving away from the golds and beiges and embracing the gray. Has someone else gone "cool" successfully? Any paint color suggestions? By the way, my accent colors are generally blue-green with smaller doses of yellow and maybe some reddish-orange. The trim in the room is White Dove, and I have bamboo roman shades with a blue-green-gray sofa. I also have other upholstered items in creams and ivories.

Comments (14)