SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Banquette in this dining space?

funkyart
11 years ago

I will be moving into my grandmother's home and updating/modernizing. I want to go with what I am going to call a clean modern cottage kind of look in the kitchen/dining area. Part of this change in my life is my desire to simplify and downsize.. however, this means giving up a true dining room. As such, I'd like the eat-in kitchen area to be stylish and inviting.

I will not be updating the kitchen in the immediate future. It is VERY much in need of a complete update/remodel, but I want to live in the space for a bit before jumping on the project. I can't wait to start on the dining space though-- as I gave my antique dining set to my nephew who just set up his first house. I am currently shopping for dining furniture.

This is the dining area. Please ignore everything but the space-- we're in the process of clearing out the house and then everything will be redone (new paint, hardwood floors, etc). The kitchen is to the left, door to the outside to the right, this area opens into the living room.

This is my inspiration photo. I've saved a number of banquet photos but this is the one that works best for my space and most captures the look I'd like.

LOVE the lighting and the feel of this space. I would like to have the built-in as in the photo but I will need to accommodate the base board heating... and whatever I do must be compatible with the kitchen remodel in a year or so (I do know I will do painted cabinets).

Do you think this design makes sense for the space? I know it isnt optimal for the only dining space in the house but this is something I've had to accept (generally, there will only be one or two dining. Large gatherings will be held outside). As I said, I'd prefer the built in bench with storage but given that the kitchen remodel won't begin for awhile, do you think I should go with a bench or church pew instead?

All thoughts welcome! Do you like your banquette seating? Is there something I should consider before making my primary dining space a banquette?

My carpenter is doing some other work for me at the end of the month.. so I'd like to include this with his work if I am settled on a built-in bench.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida