SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Bought the RH trestle table! Does this hutch work?

juddgirl2
14 years ago

After my almost year long search for a table, I caved and bought the Restoration Hardware trestle table I fell in love with almost a year ago and it should be here w/in the month - yay! I also have these chairs.

This antique pine reproduction hutch is listed on CL for a great price and I'm considering it (would wax it a darker brown) but I'm not sure how well it works with the table and chairs. Also - it's massive for my room at 96"t x 24"d. The tope would reach the crown molding and there also wouldn't be much room between the table and part of the hutch. The table's massive for my 11' x 16' room, so maybe too much furniture?

I also like the style of the last 2 barnwood painted hutches, and they're much smaller pieces. Would this style/size work better with the table?

My new table and chairs (posted before but now it's mine!)

CL hutch looks just like this one (but $3000 less $$):

Barnwood hutches

Comments (33)

• User
    14 years ago

I think it might be too much furniture. Sounds like the hutch is too deep, I also dont care for the scrolling, I like the more simple hutch, either barnwood one would work and look better imo.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

jud
    Congrats on ordering the table
    Why not wait until you have the table in the space then decide.
    GL

• Related Discussions

Pics of my RH salvaged wood trestle table

Q

Comments (43)
    cadamsinco - I would not want to use this (or any) table without a protective coat so I understand your concerns. It's been several years and the finish on the table is holding up just fine. No stains or water marks at all, and it gets used on a daily basis (and lots of kids here, big and little!) I just ordered the Monocoat Refresh to freshen up the finish but haven't used it yet. These instructions seem even more simple than the first coat - just wipe on and wipe off. I also ordered more of the clear oil to use on the new RH Dutch Industrial side table I just bought. The oil does darken the wood finish to a nice, warm brown and I actually prefer this. Here is a link that shows pictures of the table after I applied the oil. It's pretty much still the same color - maybe got a bit lighter after it was done curing. Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Monocoat oil on RH table
    ...See More

My RH score!

Q

Comments (15)
    Paint chips, you too! My pleasure for finding them for you, I know how happy I was when I found them last year. They are only 15 inch round, so they are just big enough for a book, coffee or wine, maybe a small lamp too. I always thought if I got a stone remnant or mirror cut to fit the table top, and glazed the bronze a little bit the tables would be even more fab. Putting them together was fairly simple, and they are sturdy metal.
    ...See More

I found a perfect alternative to the RH salvaged trestle table

Q

Comments (22)
    Thank you for the good review goldengirl. It makes me feel much more secure in my decision to order the table with this company. It was actually Dave that I spoke with on the phone, and he was extremely helpful and informative. ttodd - I love barley twist legs. Actually, I just found a great tiger oak table with barley twist legs yesterday at the antique flea market. I don't know where I'm going to put it yet, but couldn't pass it up!
    ...See More

New RH large library media system dwarfs my 52' TV!

Q

Comments (11)
    natal - that's a beautiful built-in and just what I had in mind but didn't want to spend the $$ since I'm hoping we move out of state in 5 or so years. I would have also done the built-in in white to brighten up my living area because we have a lot of tan and brown, although I think the monotone look is growing on me. We're getting a light carpet inlay so that will offer some contrast. I'm definitely saving a picture of cooking's built-in for our someday "forever house" though. luckajoy - bellaflora told me about the outlet and mentioned they had some salvaged wood pieces - thanks, bella! I just happened to call on Friday to see if they had one of the coffee tables and they mentioned the only pieces they had were the two large media cabinets. It was a strange cooincidence because just that morning I had emailed a photo of it to my DH at work and he agreed that we should get that one. I just redid the math and I actually got 50% off. There were just a few small pieces of wood that need to be reglued and it looks great. I still want the Dutch industrial coffee table but there's a booth at my local swapmeet that apparently makes a similar table for half the price. I'm going to take a look once we have the carpet installed.
    ...See More
  • barb5
    14 years ago

That CL hutch is really something- I haven't seen scrolling like that on a hutch. I think it is beautiful.

I do think that the curved legs on your chairs would support the curved scrolling on the hutch.

For me it would come down to a question of whether the dimensions of the room could support the table and the hutch. If it could without being crowded, I would be very tempted to buy that CL hutch.

• caminnc
    14 years ago

Love your table. I think #1 is too ornite, #2 could work although not very special and #3 the scale is all wrong. I think that table requires a very special hutch or don't use one at all and let the table take center stage. Beautiful table, enjoy!

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

You need to make sure that the scale of the hutch you purchase is in keeping with the scale of the table. That being said, do you think it's all too much for your room size?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

When I received a sale notice from RH with the trestle table on it for $2500. I thought about you. And wondered if you wished you would of bought it, well you did.

Question? Are you keeping the buffet that is with the chairs (gray one)? Or are you asking if you should buy one of the other three?

I do NOT like the first hutch for sale. It looks like a reproduction oak thingy. IMO does not go with your shabby chic look at all.

No. #2 or #3 are both wonderful but I love the hutch that is sitting by your chairs.

.....Jane

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Question? Did you order the trestle table that seats 8, 10, or 12 people. I love that darn table.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

My formal dining room is the same width as yours. The length is shorter because it's basically a kinda square room. We have a dining table in there w/ the same width as your new RH table (96x40) + 8 chairs. I also have a bookcase/hutch in there that's about same width & height as the CL hutch but narrower (about 60" I think). Your hutch is narrower on the top part & open so I think it would be visually less overpowering than my bookcase.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Hope this help. These are old pictures on my file. We later change to a longer hutch and I think it does balance the table better.

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I thought you ordered a table to be made "like" the RH table. Guess that did not work out. So glad you ordered the RH table. It is great looking.

My DR is 16x12. imo, the 1st hutch (CL) is too massive for your room, and not the right style for your room (even if it were smaller scale).

I like the scale of #2 better, with a finish similar to #3...but if your current hutch in foyer is visible at the same time, do get/do a different color finish.

Can't wait to see it all in place!

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - sorry about all the typos in my OP! I just got a new laptop to replace my dinosaur and I can't seem to type on this thing. Either the keyboard is too sensitive or my computer is possessed b/c it does all sorts of weird things when I'm typing.

newdawn and allison - my order for the custom built table (placed in May) didn't work out so well and took so long that the price on the RH table dropped. With the sale promotion the RH table actually cost less so I cancelled my previous order after I went to visit the original table at the local RH and fell in love all over again :-) It's bigger at 9ft (with leaves extending it to 12ft for rare occassions), which crowds my room a bit, but I can live with that!

The hutch behind the chairs is actually in my foyer. The colors do work well, but b/c of the bin it is very deep at the base. It's narrow though, so probably wouldn't overlap with the table. I could consider using it in the dining room, although cabinets in the base would be better to store serving pieces.

The CL hutch has a honey tone but is actually unfinished pine so it should take a wax or stain. A gray wash sounds devine. I measured last night though and w/it being so long and deep there would only be about 21" between it's base and one half side of the table. I should wait until my table's in (which is hard when bella sends me awesome CL listings!), but by that the time the CL hutch would be gone. DH thinks it's too ornate, but he thinks everything is too ornate :-) I really like the barnwood hutches, but would probably not find something like that secondhand so it would be a future purchase.

bella - I haven't seen those pictures before. I love your dining room! Is that the room that you're looking for a farm table to use or a separate dining area?

Actual CL hutch

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I think you could make the first hutch (CL) work with some color changes. You could even replace the scrolling if it's too much in the long run.

But, I fear it won't fit in your room. My DR is also 11 x 16 and I have a 44x96" table with 6 large chairs and I have 'no' room for a large hutch. I could probably squeeze in a shallow hutch, but I like having the extra room to move around.
    You don't want the room so crowded that you can't easily pull out the chairs and sit down.

I'd be inclined to get the chairs & table in place before deciding on adding more furniture. Also, you need to see how far the chairs will sit under the table when not in use.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Hi T: it's my formal dining room. The farm table is for my other dining room (where we eat every day). Since that picture taken (which is about 2 months ago), I have made some changes:

the new chandelier, in an aged brass finish.

{{!gwi}}

the chairs & temporary table (still waiting for that perfect one) :-D

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I have this temporary cabinet in there in lieu of the tall glass cabinet -- the finish is probably too rustic ..

{{!gwi}}

so eventually it would be replaced by something more refined & dramatic.

• jlc712
    14 years ago

I LOVE that table. Congratulations on finally getting it! It will be beautiful with your chairs.
    I don't like the style or the size of the CL piece. I like the two barnwood ones much better. I am wondering about a corner china cabinet-- would that fit in your room? I can picture two corner ones, with a Swedish/rustic type finish. I think that would be gorgeous.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for your input. It definitely helps to hear from others regarding both the style and size issues. I think it would be better to wait until I have the table & chairs in place to see how much room I have and maybe then I could try out my new photoshop with the differenty style hutches to get a preview. The table is definitely going to dictate what else is used in the room.

Corner hutches would be ideal, but I have a huge window on the end wall and only a couple feet of wall space on either side, so not sure that would work. I was hoping for a hutch that had a buffet surface for serving and cabinets beneath for storage, but I think my vision is much larger than what I have room for!

bella - love those chairs and chandelier! I sent you a CL link for the prettiest farm console table with a butter yellow base and old wood top. You know I'd have it though if I didn't have one already :-)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your GORGEOUS table! And I love the chairs you have to go with it.

I'm also finding the CL hutch to be a bit too ornate and feminine -- though with a gray wash, I bet it could be made to look good.
    I am also concerned about the size though, and it doesn't sound like you'd have enough room. Time for a floor plan with clearances...

What about this: Buy the CL hutch for your foyer, and move the foyer piece into the dining room? It's certainly beautiful with the chairs...

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sweeby - thank you! I hadn't even thought of using the CL hutch in the foyer. Perhaps I could stain it or paint it black.

I'm not sure how it would look with the rustic front doors though, or if it looks too much like a dining room hutch to get away with using in a foyer?

I have an old antique pine table with drawers and a scalloped apron directly across the hutch in the foyer, and it would definitely complement that piece.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

It's tough to find a narrow hutch. Most of them are about 20-24" at the base. Anything narrower would be impractical because it won't be wide enough for your larger plates & serving pieces.

if you aren't sure, I would wait until the table came. Maybe it would help you visualize the space better. If there isn't any room for a hutch, maybe you can put a large painting, or mirror, or old carving panel on the wall.

Do you have a picture of the whole room?

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I would wait until the table comes and see how much room you have. 21" is not very much room to push your chair out and get up from the table, especially if you have people on either side of you taking up space too!

One thought I had is even if the hutch is in your foyer, why couldn't you use it to store your serving pieces or even display some plates etc.? I would think it would be a perfect way to use all the rooms in your house to be functional and efficient.

I saw in the Ballard's catalog these beautiful full length wall mirrors that they had just leaning against the wall. Maybe something like that would go well with the rustic table. I think some large artwork or mirrors and beautiful panels on your windows will fill up the room, and you may find you don't want any other furniture in there. Your table is so large, you could easily place the food dishes right on the table and pass them around vs. the need for a breakfront or buffet.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I like the look of hutch #2. The first is just not my style-too fussy for me. The third is nice, but looks a little small. The middle one is wonderful-looks like a 19th c. antique. Good, simple lines and balance.

Love your new table!

• janjan212
    14 years ago

You GOT the RH?!!! WOW, Congrats! Last I heard you were ordering from Cottage Maine I still look at their site since the RH table is too big for my space, but prefer to touchy-feely. What caused the delay?

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jan - The first table built lacked the RH-style detail on the pedestals that I specified, and the second just never seemed to get built. However, I wouldn't hesitate to order something else from Cottage Maine, and just might order one of those barnwood hutches shown above, which they sell. Their customer service was excellent and the delay was likely due to the custom order and issues with the builder. They were very communicative and responsive, and didn't hesitate to refund my money when I decided to cancel the order.

I loved the RH table in person also, although the color seems a bit lighter than the photos on the website.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

Congradulations! That table is beautiful and I hope you post photos when you have it all set up. I am not sure about the hutch. I would wait and see the table in place first-this coming from a gal who has made expensive mistakes because I've jumped the gun on what I "thought" I loved or what I thought would work.

• janjan212
    14 years ago

So they actually delivered the first table, or just sent you pictures?

I know what you mean on the RH tables color. I almost didn't recognize it as the table from across the store because it looked so gray in person...well the one in my store did.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They just sent pictures of the first one. I believe it sold to someone else although it's now offered on the website as the "chateau trestle." It's pretty - just not close enough to the detail on the RH table.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I was just curious what chandy did you decide on or have you decided yet?

....Jane

• jamaraz
    14 years ago

Hi. I saw this table and really like it too! I was thinking of pairing it with the RH camelback chair in leather. Do you think I could make a formal dining room out of this look? I have an antique french birdcage chandelier with crystals. I like the leather chairs for durability but perhaps a really formal fabric chair might dress it up more. Right now the room is a shell but I would like to put up crown moulding and maybe a chair rail. What do you think?

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

update - I bought the CL hutch, but decided to use it in my foyer. Across from the hutch, I have my antique Irish pine baking table w/a scalloped apron, which better complements the CL hutch than my current one. Also, the CL hutch is huge, and I think its mass will work better in my foyer, which has 13 ft ceilings. Definitely need to paint it, and I'm thinking Farrow and Ball off black. I'm not sure if I'm going to stain the backboards a darker color or paint them black. I really need to figure out what to put on the shelves though, and was thinking maybe some ironstone pitchers, which I like to collect. I was hoping to display my green milk glass cake platters and bowls, but I don't think that will work in the foyer.

The hutch I now have in my foyer (shown in the photo w/chairs) will be in my dining room for now. It's much less narrow, so won't overlap much, if at all, with the table. It doesn't have a buffet surface but does seem to work well with the chairs, and I can display ironstone on the shelves.

jane - I ended up going with the Hubbardton Forge 8-arm oval chandelier in dark smoke finish and with the stone (opaque) glass. I have the clear glass in the HF chandy in my foyer and think it might make this fixture more "country" than the stone, but was afraid the light might be too harsh over a dining table. Also, I'd like to display ironstone in my hutch, and thought the stone glass would complement that.

jamaraz - I think you could definitely make this table work with more formal chairs, and believe the website actually shows it paired with either the camelback or similar chairs. Your chandy sounds lovely. I was so wanting a french wire birdcage type chandy, but DH preferred the forged iron one we ended up deciding on. It does work better with other furnishings and lighting in our house.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

I'm so glad you bought it for your foyer. The size works better w/ your HUGE entry door than the other farmhouse hutch.

Off black is a great color but you should seriously consider Down Pipe also. It is more mellow, like a deep grey that turns into black.

You can display pottery, small paintings, antique books, pieces of architectural salvage (plaster moulding, wooden brackets, etc)...There are a lot you can do w/ those shelves. And the cubbies are perfect for keys & such, you know :-)

Can't wait to see it all together.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Wonderful! I think that will be fabulous!

When I started thinking about that hutch in the foyer, the first vision that came to me was some vintage hats across the top... Your jugs sound wonderful too -- Or watering cans?

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas. Hmmm, vintage hats, pottery and books - I would have never come up with these on my own!

sweeby - thank you for giving me the idea of switching the hutches. I never would have thought of that either but it worked out perfectly!

• kathyacv2
    14 years ago

I just loooove your chairs. Where you got them??

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kathy - thank you. I got the chairs at Shabby Chic. They recently went out of business but I believe Rachel Ashwell has started a new company, Shabby Chic Couture. Not sure if she'll offer the same chairs or not.