SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

I found a perfect alternative to the RH salvaged trestle table

juddgirl2
15 years ago

For those of you who read my post regarding my quest for the RH salvaged wood trestle table and perhaps were interested in the same table but on a smaller scale, I found the perfect alternative. Since I've been lusting over the RH table for the last month, I was prepared to bite the bullet and order it now that they have their $100 off for every $500 purchased promotion. Of course, I soon realized the promotion excludes many items, including my table, so total cost was still going to be $3900 after tax and shipping.

I decided to do a little more researching before ordering and came across a site where someone who purchased the table claimed the wood (although European salvaged pine) was shipped to China where the table was manufactured. The table's beautiful and I'm sure it's of good quality, but part of the appeal to me was that I thought it was constructed in England, or at least locally. Also, I wasn't too pleased when I called their customer service to find out why another 10% promotion code I had wasn't working and they were not authorized to offer any discount whatsoever.

So, I searched a bit more and came across this company in Maine that offers custom furniture made of salvaged English pine, and that has a trestle table that's almost identical to the RH version, except you can customize their table by choosing the breadboard tabletop, rough-hewn or smooth, medium or light brown wax, width, height, etc. They can even replicate the extra detailing that I like on the RH table legs for only $125 extra. Even better, the person I spoke with on the phone offered great customer service and spent a great deal of time answering my questions. He actually talked me out of spending the extra money ordering the expensive extension leaves, since I'll really only use them once or twice a year.

If I ordered the 108" table with 2 18"extension leaves, exactly the same size as the RH table (except at 42" wider than the RH 38") then the initial cost would only be about $100 less, but there's no tax and shipping is a bit less so with the same table I'd be saving about $500 or so.

However, since I decided I really don't need the leaves, I'm saving an extra $740, so in all I'm getting my 9' salvaged wood trestle table for around $1200 less than the RH table - and it's made in the USA. I'm doing the happy dance!

If you're interested in a similar table (or beautiful farmhouse and barnwood tables and hutches), here's a link to the table (the trestle table shown doesn't have the breadboard tabletop, but the table underneath it does). If you click on "for colors, please click here" you can see the roughhewn vs smooth, and wax options.

I'm hoping I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old English Pine Furniture

Comments (22)