SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Would you paint this trestle table?

equest17
12 years ago

I bought this dining table at the thrift store today.

I love its solid wood construction and the large size (two leaves, totaling 92 inches long). It even has a unique gear mechanism that allows me to expand and contract the table all by myself. I'm not loving the stain color or grain pattern. It's not terrible, but it looks like some of the clunky dark furniture from the 60's or 70's. The top has a lot of dents and dings and the (poly?) finish looks and feels a bit plastic-y.

We have a lot of natural wood in the farmhouse dining room, so I'm thinking about painting some or all of this table. Between the heart pine floors, heavy trim, built-in china cabinet, antique upright piano, and dark french doors, I want to avoid more wood tones.

Here a shot of the in-progress dining room (currently using an old patio table for eating). We just hung the chandelier, which I love.

A better view of the cognac leather Parsons chairs with satin black legs:

I like the simple summer look of the windows with just bamboo shades, but I'm going to need extra insulation this winter given the single pane weighted sash windows. So, I'm planning to sew drapes from a heavy russet paisley fabric that I used at my last house. You can just make out the drapes here:

Given all that, what suggestions do you have for the table? I'm thinking about painting the base a soft black like the Parsons chair legs and refinishing the top. Or maybe paint the whole thing? Will that much black still work with the drapes? Should I consider any paint color other than black? Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)