SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Guest who say nothing -contd

dianalo
12 years ago

I just read many posts on the thread that topped out at 150 and noticed a trend.

When people talked about southerners, they were reminded not to generalize yet I noticed many people referring to the cultural taboo of complimenting people if you are from Germany or of German descent and I have to disagree based on my experiences.

My mother is from Germany and did not come to the US until she was an adult. She had many faults, but she complimented people on their hospitality and their decor all the time. I spent a decent amount of time over there too and visited in private homes, often without her. Something nice was always said. She was raised in a privileged family and was sent to boarding school with actual royals and children of some very wealthy families. It is not a class thing to withhold compliments, unless that means it was the more refined who did practice giving compliments.... Besides, compliments don't have to be about money when it is decor related. You can compliment the color of something or the lovely flowers or the childrens' artwork on the fridge. If you admire the real art, that is not about cash. People admire art all the time in museums. To say "that piece is lovely/lively/stunning" etc... would be no commentary on its monetary value. You can admire the workmanship on an antique for instance.

Maybe southern Germans were different than in the north (there does seem to be a north/south divide over there, so don't know if it extends to this topic), but I never experienced anyone being less than gracious. It is true you can know your neighbor 40 years and still call each other Mr. and Mrs. over there, but people were very friendly in their way and certainly hospitable in both directions. I spent a lot of time with my elderly grandparents who were born in the late 1888(my Opa) and 1904 (my Oma). My mother had me late in life, so when I visited my grandparents or my mother's cousins and friends, they were older too. Maybe times have changed, but I was there 30 years ago as a young teen (or should I say infant to not date myself, lol) and things seemed fairly socially stable at the time.

I am a guest in more homes/houses in a year than most people are in a lifetime. If one tries to be kind in their comments, it is rarely needed to be phony. Besides, if one is being phony to make someone else feel good, then so be it. I think phony is the wrong term in that situation. It is only phony if you are trying to get over on someone or get something from them. If you are being polite or being friendly, then go right ahead and risk being phony. The bigger crime would be to be withholding or to make someone feel bad.

BTW - McClarke probably noticed more than just a lack of a compliment on her decor. I bet tone and body language helped make it feel odd. She probably picked up on something being off for several reasons. There is no balance to a relationship if compliments only go in one direction. I am sure if they had complimented her pets, food or anything else in a warm manner, she would not have noticed the lack of decor compliments. Passive/aggressive people can often be heard loud and clear by what they don't say.

Comments (62)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County