SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debatthelake_gw

Dining room? Pantry? Library? Help! (pics)

debatthelake
15 years ago

Hi, Everyone!

I'm Debbie, a newbie here. OK, I'm not new to this forum by any means, if quietly listening and learning counts. I'm so impressed with the decorating skills of so many of you, and know that you're way, way out of my league. Because of that, I've only posted a few times (I remember summoning the courage to post my red bathroom and my silver sage guest room last year, for example.). But practice makes perfect and, when it comes to decorating, I'm more than willing to practice, practice, practice! (What I lack in ability, I make up for in enthusiasm!)

I have a situation at my house that, if I proceed, is pretty hard to "undo". And so, I'm asking for your advice. My dining room is just too small. It's been bothering me for years ... I can't fit much other than a table/chairs in there. As a result, my Duncan Phyfe table, chairs and buffet are scattered elsewhere. The room is 10' x 14' which may not sound bad to some, but part of that 14' needs to stay unobstructed as it is a walkway between the kitchen and library/media room. I've done everything I can think of to make the room appear larger, but it is what it is. -sigh-

The adjacent library/media room is 15' x 21'. We use the room quite a bit (reading, computer and tv), but we could move the computer and tv to another room. So, I've been thinking about putting the dining room furniture in there and having a dining room/library instead. What would I do with the current small dining room? Turn it into a butler's pantry, I guess. (That's the part that's kind of hard to undo.)

So, would you take the plunge if you were me? Or would you just let the next guy worry about it? I truly appreciate any input you're willing to give. Oh, and no, we don't use the current dining room much ... we eat in the kitchen at the island or in the breakfast nook. But that doesn't make the dining room bother me any less!

Thanks so much.

Debbie

p.s. Off to watch The Stagers and then the season finale of Million Dollar Listing. I told you I was enthusiastic!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!