SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red_eared_slider86

Combo Library/Dining Room

red_eared_slider86
13 years ago

To cut to the chase, I am interested in seeing pics of your combo library/dining room. For more details, feel free to read on...

My home decor is in a state of flux right now. We just finished a kitchen remodel, and, as we try to get our house back under control again, I am focusing attention on the dining room and office.

First of all, my house is a typical neo-Colonial in Houston's suburbia. Our overall decor objective leans toward an Old World/Spanish Colonial flavor. (We were a little more "Shabby Chic" before the remodel, so this is definitely a work in progress.) In typical neo-Colonial style, there is a small foyer, with the dining room to the right, the office through French doors on the left, and the family room is straight ahead.

The office actually serves several purposes. It is a computer room where the kids do school work and surf the net. It is a music room, with a keyboard and a couple of guitars. And it is a spare bedroom that both my mother and my older sister use when they visit. (There is no bed, but a recliner, which they both prefer to sleep in.)

AND it was, until last weekend, a library, with a double-wide bookshelf full of books and a smaller shelf full of DVD's.

As you might guess, the office was getting a bit overcrowded.

The dining room is furnished with Duncan Phyfe replicas, simple lines, dark mahogany. There's a double pedestal table with 6 chairs, a smallish China cabinet, and a buffet. One wall has a tall picture window dressed with a long, cream-colored lace curtain (late afternoon sun). Another wall was still empty. That is the wall where I decided to re-locate the library.

The rest of the family thinks it looks weird. I think that when I'm finished, it will not only be very inviting, but it will render the dining room more useful throughout the year.

Things left to do--

* Bring in an AREA RUG. We haven't had an area rug in the dining room since installing the Pergo floors in '06, because DH liked seeing the floor. I'm thinking an 8x10 Aubosson-type would be fitting, in shades of red.

* Bring in BETTER LIGHT. We've always hated the brass chandelier, which was original to the house. It's time to change it to something that fits the decor, probably in an oil-rubbed bronze finish.

* Bring in more COMFORTABLE SEATING. The shieldback chairs around the table are okay. I should re-cover the seats, maybe pad them a little more. I have room for a BENCH under an existing wall-mounted wrought iron coat rack. And if I move the buffet up the wall a bit, I'll have room for a mid-size, cushy ACCENT CHAIR in the corner, for reading. I have an antique lamp that I could have re-wired. I could put it at the end of the buffet, as a reading lamp.

* Bring in more FAMILY PHOTOGRAPHS. Right now, there is floral artwork and decorative plates on the walls. I'm thinking old B&W photos.

So I apologize for the long post, but if you stuck with me this far, how does it sound? I'm aiming for a nice study area that will also double as a formal dining room when needed.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• Kaisha
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well you provided good information about dining rooms, but you have to consider some major factors like cost that anyone can afford and other like problems

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Home Renovation & Remodeling; Interior & exterior Improvements

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

???

I wasn't providing "information about dining rooms." I gave information about *my* dining room. I am re-decorating it with mostly items that I already own, and seeking input about successfully combining a home library and dining room.

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't pertain to my post.

• Related Discussions

Formal Dining Room as DR/Library/Study Area?

Q

Comments (13)
    Still undecided here. I think it's best to keep the furniture arrangement like it is. I had considered flipping the two rooms, but don't want the dining table obscuring that first view of the fireplace when you enter the house. So that's decided. Still pondering the suggestions of the storage/shelving being in the other room... The idea the cabinet guy and I came up with is to split the dining wall into thirds, do two 55" bookcase/storage cabinets right up to the ceiling, with an equally sized wainscot between, allowing space for some sort of table I can store stools under (to be used at the table when we need extra seating). I'm also trying to fit in a desk of some sort for a computer, maybe on the opposite dining wall. But I don't want it to look like Apple is taking over our dining room, it's gotta be inconspicuous. I love the look of this room too, and it would fit great with our lifestyle - four kids and lots of homework:
    ...See More

need help with living room/dining room combo

Q

Comments (17)
    Your rooms have such great architectural elements! When I read through the post and realized the age of the house, it makes so much sense. Really wonderful dimensions, too. Seeing the extra chairs in your dining room, have you considered extending the leaves in the table to better balance the space? I notice the furniture is the same tones and/or wood? If so, do you have pieces in other colors/textures (perhaps from other rooms) that would provide more variety? You have good pieces with which to work. I'm sorry to say this, but it's the wall-to-wall carpet with the rugs that is distracting to me. Do you have larger area rugs to layer, or remove those area rugs altogether and see how it looks? I also like the living room wall color. For the dining room, how about two shades lighter from the living room color from the same paint strip? Your dog looks so sweet! What a cutie!
    ...See More

Keep small dining room, or redo as 2nd office/library/music room?

Q

Comments (1)
    Pictures?
    ...See More

Layout for living room dining room combo

Q

Comments (1)
    I would stay away from a sectional and go with a sofa and 2 chairs not matching to the sofa. That DR is going to be a problem you will need to go very narrow with a table to work in an 8’ space or you will need to push a table against the wall and only pullout when you need toyou could do a 36 x 72 table that would sit 4 nicely without pulling out You have lots of places for TV in the LR . Do you need more storage or some display I would suggest a Besta sytem for a wall with the TV maybe on the right hand wall. The sofa facing the TV and a chair on either side with a nice coffee table that layout works well for conversation and much more comfortable seating than a sectional.
    ...See More
  • sable_ca
    13 years ago

Red - It looks like the above post was just spam; ignore it.

Without pictures you're not likely to get a lot of comments, but since I also don't post pictures, I'll try a few comments. I grew up with a dining room of lovely period mahogany furniture, lace-trimmed curtains, and a brass chandy; it was beautiful, not overly elaborate at all. If you're going to change the chandy, I'd look for one that has rather refined and interesting lines, and think about where else to repeat that ORB look in the room. Would a simple chandy with crystal work?

A reading corner sounds very nice. But do people actually sit on accent chairs and read? A lot of readers like to slouch on sofas or comfy armchairs or in bed. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have a reading corner, just that it might not be used a lot.

This is just a personal opinion, but IMO dining rooms love floral artwork and displayed plates; they are great for a festive atmosphere and enhancing the appetite! Personally - and maybe strange - family photos make me nostalgic to the point of rather weepy - so I keep ours in private areas in mostly obscure places.

We have successfully created a dining room/library; the look is different than yours, though. Our furniture is pine, with fairly plain, almost Shaker lines. There's a buffet and hutch, but inside the hutch, instead of a display of china, I have quite a few books, my mother's crystal candlesticks, two sets of her pewter coffee and tea services, a Vietnamese teapot, and a few other things. I really like the look; it's eclectic and IMO interesting. On another wall there is the big sliding door to the deck. Didn't want curtains there, so installed a Hunter-Douglas horizontal cellular shade that exactly matches our rough plaster walls and has a matching cornice. We keep the shade raised almost all the time. The third wall is useless; it has a large archway and the door to the kitchen. The fourth wall has the archway to the foyer and a tiny patterned glass window to the front porch. Under that window I placed the bookcases, which I bought at a finish-it-yourself furniture store and had stained to match the buffet-hutch. The bookcases are 72" long and 36" high and fit exactly between the exterior wall and the arch to the foyer. One thing I would suggest is that your bookcases be in a similar style and color - or something that coordinates well - as your other furniture. I put "happy" books in these cases, mostly classic novels, and garden and nature books. Didn't want someone having tea and cookies to suddenly notice "The Horrors of the Third Reich"! I would LOL that, but it's not fuuny! And on the walls are several watercolors, of places we've been and love. So it's a very personal room, but also neutral enough so that anyone would feel comfortable in it.

Hope this helps!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I'm also not sure about the accent chair or the family photos, but I also question the bench. I don't think either the chair or bench would be conducive to comfortable reading, and I don't care to see family photos in a dining room. What about looking for a couple of wing back chairs to serve as head chairs at your table? They could also double as reading chairs.

Or, maybe I misunderstood, do you have the coat rack IN the dining room, where you plan the bench, or is it in the foyer?

It would be great to see photos of the current layout. It would be much easier to understand what you're planning.

Dee

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I'd love to see photo's too (yours to Sable CA!).

How big is your DR? I tried something similar to that in our DR w/ an accent chair, buffet etc. but it just ended up crowded and there was no 'flow' if I was having a party.

I like the idea of a library/ DR very much but I guess I am visualing a 'working' library. One where there are floor to ceiling bookcases and the DR table is used for research, work etc. when not in use as a DR.

How often do you use your DR for eating?

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I love the idea of making a under-utilized dining room a dining room / library / study, exactly as ttodd described it: a "working library" where the dining room table is used for research. My mother uses her dining room in this fashion now. It is her favorite room in the house filled with light and a great view of the yard. She spreads her books over the table to work on multiple research projects at a time. She sits at the dining table and often has a small footstool to stretch out on while reading through any given book. She does not have book cases, but I could see them fitting in very well.

Personally, I much prefer a cozy arm chair, sofa, or even bed to curl up and read a good book. If I am doing research, I am usually at a desk surrounded by books and using the computer. I would be unlikely to use an accent chair or bench for reading. However, I would enjoy having a working library with book shelves, at least one comfortable chair with an ottoman or a sofa or a chaise, and a large table for spreading out when needed.

• suero
    13 years ago

If you Google "dining room library" images, you'll see may examples, and they are mostly dining room tables and dining chairs will walls of bookcases, and not much else. Think of a study hall with library tables, rather than a place to dine.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

We have friends that have a built in book cases that go around a corner in their dining rm. It makes the room very cozy and inviting.

• rosie
    13 years ago

Red Eared, your goal sounds really great. Do go get some of those pictures of dining room/libraries, a time-honored concept. Once your family's living with yours, I'm pretty sure the standard neglected dust-catcher is what'll strike them as weird. :)

Since a very used room is right across the entry, were you thinking of having the rooms function together as extensions of each other? The suggested library first that also functions very well for dining sounds like a very good direction. It would open up ideas about comfortable and functional furniture (and be a lovely place for family pictures). Is the buffet full of dining stuff, or could it multifunction?

BTW, my dining library triple functions because it's actually a wide "hall" in the middle of the house with 4 doors, as well as stairs up and down, opening off it, and books on 2 walls. It's a calm shadowy place with one comfy chair and footstool that are only used when the living room is a bit too sunny and with a mahogany dining table that is normally folded up against the wall with a lamp and piles of books on it. Large thick rug in the winter, rolled up and put away in the summer. Not exactly your concept but it does work very, very well. It makes a pretty view from all around and I love just walking through it, which are major functions served.

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I want to thank everybody for your responses. I want to post some pics, but am having technical difficulties tonight. Maybe I'll be able to tomorrow. I will comment more then, too.

Red

• jimandanne_mi
    13 years ago

Our DR is also a library with bookshelves on each side of the door from the foyer. I put a chair in the opposite left corner with a hexagonal chest/table for much of my gardening folders/books so I can sit there when thinking about making gardening decisions. I can see a lot of the front and side yards from both sets of windows in the room, and I can easily go through the foyer out the front door onto the porch and ponder the gardens there also.

If you could sketch out your layout, with measurements and furniture locations and post it, it would be helpful in determining if your layout has enough room for what you are suggesting.

"I think that when I'm finished, it will not only be very inviting, but it will render the dining room more useful throughout the year." I totally agree! IMO, it's your FAMILY that's weird ;o) Seems like at the least, the shelves should work in your DR. I LOVE our room!!!

Anne

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

We have a very small dining room (about 10' x 12') that we never used. I got rid of the large table and china cabinet and moved in 2 tall bookcases, a 42" round antique dining table, a small loveseat/settee, a smallish leather club chair, and 2 wood dining chairs. ALl the seating can be pulled up to the table if needed. I also have a floor lamp next to the loveseat (in addition to the chandelier over the table, which is still centered in the room) and a basket for knitting supplies. I also have an end table that used to be an old school desk, and under that table is a wine rack. Now we use the room for reading, playing games, having tea or coffee, and sometimes even to eat a meal! I used to have pics that I posted here, but can't find them now. For us, this works out much better than the formal dining room.

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Man, it's not even 9 o'clock and I'm ready to go to bed!

@ sable: I hate to say it, but I think you're probably right -- a reading corner probably would not be used. I don't have enough space to make it as comfy as it would need to be. My bookcase right now is not the same color as the rest of the furniture, though the style does agree. I'm giving thought to what I want to do about that.

@deeinohio: I'm not really planning for the bench to be a reading spot, but it would be a convenient place for one to sit and tie his/her shoes. The kids tend to leave their shoes near the front door and usually sit on the floor when they need to put them back on. But this is also a place where they drop their backpacks when they come home in the afternoon. If anybody has any ingenious ideas on how to tidy up that mess, I'm all ears. I *do* really like your idea about a couple of wingback chairs as head chairs. I am giving that some serious thought.

@ttodd: We use the DR probably a half dozen times per year. Don't misunderstand me when I say a "library"; I'm talking about one large bookshelf and a smaller DVD shelf. I don't foresee serious research happening, but geometry homework is a possibility. I'll post pics at the end of this message.

@ jimandanne: Your DR sounds like a very peaceful place!

@ sueb20: I would love to see pics of your space. It sounds divine.

Ok, here's what I started with. This is taken from the kitchen door, facing the front door:
    {{gwi:1889087}}
    I had been planning something else for that wall and just had the pics there so it wouldn't be totally blank.

Now here it is with the bookshelves. Would it look better if I stained the big bookshelf a darker stain?
    {{gwi:1889088}}

I'm really liking the "head chairs" idea. I might remove the leaf that is in the table right now in order to make room for something like this at either end:

Of course, I'll have to get the dishes off the table if I truly expect a kid to do homework there.

Here's the room from the front door. I think a rug would go a long way in warming the room up and making it feel more welcoming.
    {{gwi:1889090}}

One more view. There's the coat rack where I'd like to put a bench or settee. The chairs that are there now are just part of a set that I intend to get rid of. You can see how the space is used for a landing spot for backpacks.

{{gwi:1889091}}

So that's what I've done so far. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You're all really helping me to think this through.

Now I'm going to bed!

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i would definitely try to move the dvd shelves to a different room... probably near a tv! if you don't have room for the shelf near the tv, i would probably select some dvds and place in a basket of some type and store the other dvds elsewhere-inside a cabinet or in a basket or box on top of an entertainment cabinet(or even on top of the bookshelves in dr)... i wouldn't worry about the different color wood of the bookshelves in the dining room...
    (perhaps you could find room for the shelves in one of your kids' bedrooms for book storage??)

i think a rug would really warm up the room and i love the idea of wing chairs at the heads of table!(and like the ones you pictured!)

if the dining room is the main/only landing place for "stuff", i would look into storage bench of sorts with a hinged top...could be wood or upholstered. i would really try to look in the foyer/other areas though for space for a storage bench and try to retrain the family!(although, i learned to live with the heap of backpacks in the kitchen!!)

i would also probably get rid of the lace tablecloth (and curtains ideally)...very pretty, but, too dainty for library/dining room imo.

your room really seems quite large! there's alot of potential on the buffet wall...alot of wallspace above the buffet...i don't know what you could do there-possibly a cabinet piece or floating shelves?? or something?? maybe you could switch walls with china cabinet and buffet and then incorporate shelves/hanging hooks over the buffet??? then you could put the 2 wooden chairs from your dining set on either side of the china cabinet when you get the 2 wing chairs.

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Busybee, you are right, a more appropriate place for the DVD's would be closer to a TV, which is in the family room right around the corner. A re-do of that room is coming soon (which will be a whole new post), so the DVD's will probably stay parked here until then.

But I like your idea of storing them in a basket or something similar. A thought *did* occur to me to transfer the discs to a CD holder (like what you might carry in your car), something nice, maybe leather-bound and looks like an old book. Like this one I found on Amazon:

But would I *gasp* toss the plastic cases??? I just threw out a bunch of old plastic butter bowls -- oh, the waste...

That wing chair is awesome, isn't it? Looks like it would be small enough to be comfortable as a dining chair, yet big enough to be comfortable for a few hours of studying, or even just reading.

Re: retraining the family -- oh, my liver! LOL. You see those French doors across the foyer from the DR? What would it take to open the door and drop the backpacks there instead? One would think... But noooo, it's more fun to leave it one step inside the door, so one's parental unit can trip and break an ankle after coming home from a long day at work. :-O

The lesson here is that my darling children will probably be off to college before they'll be trained enough to lift the lid on a storage bench. I've thought about it, and that's the conclusion I've drawn. A settee, however, is open underneath, and I can just kick the backpacks under it when I walk in the door. :-P

Tablecloth and curtains -- I will probably need some serious help here. I should probably get the rug and chairs in place first, and then I'll solicit opinions on those accessories. I admit, I tend to put something up that I like, and there it stays for *years*. (Wait 'til you see the living room curtains...) It's time for a change.

I like your ideas about floating shelves and using the wooden chairs to "bookend" the china cabinet. However, I like the china cab where it is because it looks nice through the window from the street. :-) (But I am always open to hearing fresh ideas!)

Looking at my pics, it becomes glaringly obvious to me that the upper fourth of my walls are quite naked.

I think the chandy that I've honed in on, however, will add some interest higher up. I thought this would coordinate well with the other wrought iron accessories in the room:

It still has curves, but not all the scroll. I guess it just feels "old world" to me, which is why I like it.

I wish my budget could keep up with my mind; this would be an awesome room already if it could!

I work full-time in a male-dominated field, so I am sorely lacking in access to female opinions. It is so cool, being able to bounce ideas here.