SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph16_gw

Suggestions on wall colors for a dated dark office space

steph16
10 years ago

I need some suggestion on the wall paint color for my "new" office.
I recently got a new job so I went from the open space to a fairly large office - about 9x11.5ft- with actual walls.

One of the main issue is that I have no direct sunlight (no windows) .. I can see the outside only if the person in the office in front of me leaves the door open... Otherwise I only have artificial light for the entire day. The carpet is dark grey with some lighter shade of grey and some brown and I have dark wood furniture (desk, round table, 2 bookcases). The 4 chairs in my office (3 for the small table and my computer chair) are all grey. Finally, to complete the picture, I have ceiling tiles and I can safely tell that the walls have not been painted in the last 5 years.

On a typical day, I work between 8 and 10 hours and I would love to make this space more cheerful. Since I am young and work in a university, I think I can have some freedom in the decor but I still need to be able to hold meetings with external sponsors... So bright pink walls are too much.

Provided that I cannot replace the carpet or the lighting, I was hoping to have some ideas on how to make this space my space. I can replace the office furniture with something lighter, although I have to say that after spending a day figuring out a good layout, now I don't mind the dark wood.
I have a floor lamp and I plan to get a second one plus a desk lamp to update the lighting and get a nice and big art piece to hang on a wall but I don't think this alone will make it.

Since the walls are in such bad shape, I will repaint them anyway but I was hoping to replace this off-white color withe something different. I was thinking I could paint 3 walls with the lighter shade and then get a darker one for the wall behind my desk. But I am not sure this is a good idea for an office.

My initial idea was to do light blue walls with some grey undertone, a slightly darker wall behind me, just for the accent and then replace everything with some white furniture and use accessories like pen holders,... in a brighter color like orange.

I am not sure if this is a good idea or the blue walls would make it look like a bedroom.. plus I read that the white furniture looks larger than it is..

I hope you have some ideas you can share!

(the black and white picture on the wall is coming down...)

{{!gwi}}

Comments (4)