SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Scared about refinishing job in progress

jockewing
12 years ago

This is sort of a cross post from the woodworking forum because there isn't too much traffic there--

I bought some midcentury pieces in blonde mahogany from a consignment store a few weeks ago. They are lovely and I found out there are from a high end manufacturer (Landstrom) from the fifties and they are very well made mahogany. I didn't really care for the "blonde" finish and it needed some scratches repaired. Here is the original:

I hired a professional refinisher with 20+ years of experience to strip, repair, and refinish in a warm golden walnut type color. He stripped them and I could immediately see the gorgeous grain in the stripy ribbon mahogany. He said he got all the yellow pigment off with no problem. He said the piece should come out gorgeous. Well I went to look today to see the color, and I was kind of disappointed. It didn't look like the stain really "took" to all the wood and some areas were darker while others were lighter, giving a very stripy, uneven appearance. He said there would be a huge difference after everything dried and cured and the varnish topcoat goes on. Is it normal for the bare stained furniture with no finish to look sort of dull and flat with no depth? From what I've read, mahogany is one of the easiest woods to accept stain, so I wasn't expecting the blotchiness. He said the first stain was applied with a brush, but he will use a sprayer to put another light coating of stain on before varnishing. I really hope that improves things.

I am paying the guy close to $1,000 and I don't want to be sorely disappointed. Here are in progress pics (admittedly not very good pics):

Is this what furniture is supposed to look like before varnishing?

Comments (48)