SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

What do you think of this wallpaper?

oceanna
13 years ago

IME there is a fine line between decorating genius and decorating nightmares. For the best projects I've ever done, I generally paused momentarily somewhere in the middle and thought, "Oh my gosh what am I doing?!" Am I the only one?

I decided I want to spruce up my laundry room somewhere in the next few months. After hours and hours of looking at wallpaper until it all blurred together, I found this paper online and flipped over it. I love that it's different. I love the warm background. I love the multiple colors which means it will go with lots of colors. It makes me feel happy when I look at it. I like the whimsical quality.

I'm torn between two ideas -- put it in my laundry room with paler green on the woodwork. Or, put it in my guest bath and paint the vanity a medium to dark green and put up green wainscoting. (My guest bath is also the children's bath if a family with kids lives in this house.)

Inspired by this following photo, I have decided to paint the woodwork green:

Here is my laundry room (children are PO's sons):

Would you put this tiger paper (scroll down) just where the old paper is, and paint the rest of the room the same color as the background of the paper, with green woodwork?

Or would you put it on the top half of the wall on the whole room, with green woodwork, and green chair rail and green below the chair rail? Note: The counter top and the fronts of the bins are Formica and can't be painted, though the trim on them is oak and can be painted.

Then I got to thinking since I like looking at this paper so much, maybe I should put it in my guest bathroom, which I use a lot. In there I would put up beadboard wallpaper on the bottom third of the room, and paint that and the vanity green. I will post a pic of the bathroom when I figure out how to resize the huge thing -- I'll post for help about that now.

Ok here's the wallpaper, what do you think?

Comments (44)

• suero
    13 years ago

The paper looks too formal for a laundry room.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Sue. Then how about in the guest bathroom?

• Related Discussions

What do you think of this wallpaper for a powder room

Q

Comments (36)
    The room is much larger than what I was picturing too, but I still think I'd like more than just one wall. Would not do the ceiling, but I would keep the chair rail and paper above it, paint below it. I'd think about a pair of larger mirrors on the sink wall and not break the far wall with the towel bar but come up with something more interesting for hand or fingertip towels. art of that depends on the scale of the paper though -- it might not be what I am picturing either.
    ...See More

Wallpaper. What do you think of this?

Q

Comments (18)
    I do like the paper.... I think what I lack is confidence. This is my first home, and I'm just now attempting to make careful, thoughful, big picture decorating decisions. I second guess myself.... I saw that paper, loved it, and immediatley thought "maybe I'm wrong..". Les, lol, you really analyzed it more than I did. I think I reacted more to the general feel & color of that paper. Maybe the cherub & the bird are just playing... :) And Spy10021 - that room is georgous. Those beds are to die for. And your flooring too. I'm going to go look at your other photos also. I will definitely order a sample before I use anything, might even try to find something local. Not til after the holidays though, too much going on right now. Thanks all!
    ...See More

If You Saw This Wallpaper, What Decade Would You Think It Is From

Q

Comments (17)
    "I wanted to buy some like that until I saw the price. The original stuff was a hundred bucks a double. " Original old things are almost always expensive to very expensive. You are paying for the original cost, plus interest, plus inflation, plus storage for a lot of years. In some circles (cars) it is OOEM. Old Original Equipment Manufacture. It can be required for an old car to preserve the collector value. When you need original spark plug wires or belts for a 1950 collector car it gets VERY painful. Especially if you know what it cost back in 1950. There was a guy a few years ago getting around $10 a screw for parts for original parts for 1860 era US military rifles. I needed on screw to fix an 1866 Springfield trapdoor rifle (the lock was dated even earlier, around 1863)
    ...See More

Kitchen Renovation - corrected post with photos

Q

Comments (21)
    Where do you do most of your prep work and what do you use your island for? I'm not going to suggest getting rid of it, that's for sure, but rather have you thinking about the size that you need. It looks like it has a squared off corner (?) which is probably deliberate for getting from the fridge and for getting into the corner pantry. It looks kind of lumpy, as if it was just plunked down and doesn't really belong. I agree about bringing it out to end of the peninsula and narrowing it but I would try to avoid cutting off that corner and by narrowing it you should be able to do so. As far as colour - gosh anything goes. Well - with those floors I would avoid reds or oranges. What's your favourite colour? You could do navy blue, moss green,... I can't tell but what's the background colour of your big clock. How about a deeper tone of that cause that's a really cool clock. (OT and speaking out of turn as you didn't ask - but that clock is kinda cool - I'd set it up higher and really show it off - give it its' own space.)
    ...See More
  • abundantblessings
    13 years ago

"It makes me feel happy when I look at it."

'Nuff said. It works for you, so go for it anywhere that will give you frequent joy. The tigers are whimsical and not formal IMO.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I think it's fun! I would use it in the bathrom but do the trim lighter green like in your inspiration pic.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I like that it's whimsical but I don't see it in a laundry room either. Bathroom, yes, but you need to use IMHO a darker color for the trim. That lighter green doesn't match the tones of the paper. I can't comment on what to use until I see the picture, but the tones of that paper will call for a medium tone, nothing light.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your answers. Interesting that one of you says lighter trim and the other says darker. lol. I figured that I'd not try to pick the trim color until I have the wallpaper in hand and can see what the green tones are in it.

Here's that bathroom as is:

One thing about that bath -- the beige laminate counter top. I could replace it with something better (if I get a good deal) but see the thing right next to it, attached to it? That's the laundry chute. I wouldn't want the chute's lid to be heavy like granite would make it. But if I do this to that bath I probably will be unhappy with the existing vanity top. Any ideas?

Also, I love the storage in the vanity, the way it's configured. But I don't love the doors. I asked yesterday in Lowe's if I could just buy doors and the gal said not from them. Maybe I can face the doors myself. Have any of you faced your own doors, or built your own?

What would you do -- paper to the floor? Or do the beadboard wainscoting thing and paint that and the vanity all the same color?

• suero
    13 years ago

The wallpaper has a British Colonial feeling to me. I can see it in a bathroom if the cabinetry is a rich mahogany or dark cherry or similar reddish-brown coloring. Definitely not in a bathroom with a subway tile.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Yes, the tiger and the umbrella is definitely a British Colonial look. I LOVE IT!!! I say put that paper in the bathroom, get some animal print towels and a throw rug, paint the vanity and cabinet above toilet and trim in that beautiful green that is in the paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: towels

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Suero, you're right it's British Colonial.

Vampiressrn, thanks! Would you do green wainscoting, or do the paper to the floor?

Anyone have any ideas about the vanity and laundry chute tops?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Get whatever counter top you want and have the chute top fauxed to match - that small of an area would be cheap provided you can get someone to take such a small job.

Also, maybe I missed it, but why can't you just paint the vanity doors? And then maybe play with just painting the chute lid the same as the doors instead of matching it to the counter.

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Can I just be honest for a second? From a 26 yo's perspective (I'm 26), the only thing that wallpaper says to me is "old lady wallpaper". It's very pretty, yes, and for wallpaper it's nice, but...the florals are a bit much, I suppose.

Of course, all that matters is your opinion, really. Regardless of my opinion, I do think that it is very beautiful for what it is. I love how the tigers break up the floral theme and make it a little whimsical.

And I do agree with a previous poster, a light green colour would be too pale with that wallpaper.

• loribee
    13 years ago

It's darling...yes, light green trim & animal print towels~

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

I love wallpaper, and I love this wallpaper. Take it all the way to the floor as long as there are no splashing water issues. Paint the vanity a darker color, as suggested above. I'd wait on the countertop until you see how it works, but I should think it would not be too expensive to replace. Someone showed us recently a painted laminate counter that turned out great.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

IMHO I don't think a tiger wall paper goes in the laundry room or the bahroom. I see this paper more in a foyer or hallway. The floral in your inspiration picture would look nice in the bathroom. But I also agree with krysek, in that it seems old fashioned. Sorry, but you are asking what people think. If your gut says that you love it, that is what is most important.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

There is lighter green in the leaves and that's what I'd pull out. I'd go lighter green to keep a whimisical, less traditional feel.

• bleigh
    13 years ago

I'm 34...realizing that I'm no longer in my 20's and maybe getting "old lady" for some, but I LOVE that wallpaper. I don't usually like wallpaper, but I would totally use that. Keeping the accessories "young" like animal print towels and shower curtain will make it fun for anyone of any age. Would not take it to the floor as it's pretty busy looking. If it were me using the paper I would install wainscoting for interest and to keep the room from being too busy. I think either light or dark trim would look good. Would suggest that you choose the tone based on what you like and how the color will affect the feel of the room.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

It's hard for me to step into this discussion because I feel the same way about the wallpaper as krycek1984 and ellendi do. There might be a place for that wallpaper, but I don't see it in the average suburban house.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'd use it for the top half of the bathroom with wainscotting below. I'd make the wainscotting the lighter color taupe/peach that is in the flowers and do the trim and vanity the darker green from the leaves.
    You can order new doors and maybe a new top for the chute.
    You enjoy the paper, it is different and whimsical... go for it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Schuler doors

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Oceanna, what is the overall size of that bathroom? That is a pretty large print.

I love British colonial, but more the textured papers, not flowers. However, since it is so busy, I would use it by itself w/o any wainscotting or other distractions. I would keep the rest of the room very simple with the darker green in the paper or carmel. I wouldn't do peach or pink or any of the paler shades in the paper as it would not balance well. Use one accent color, not more in the paint and all the wood should be in that color.

You have to be really careful using that paper because you could really get an overwhelming feeling in that room.

Vampiress, that is one awesome site! I want to do my half bath next year and love those accessories (but not in a matchy matchy theme).

• dakota01
    13 years ago

While I'm not a fan of tigers - I like the paper, but it has too many flowers for me.

• peaches12345
    13 years ago

I like it for the bathroom. Thibaut has some great whimsical papers. They make gorgeous wallpaper. There are some with monkeys that would be great if you like animal paper (which I do). Can't remember which books, but they have a good website if you do not have a quality wallpaper store nearby.

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

I love that wallpaper! I would use it in your laundry room, just as you initially described (just the one wall, the rest of the room the same color as the background of the paper, with green woodwork). It would be nice to have something to smile about when you are doing the laundry. I think it may too overpowering in a bathroom.

It's interesting that you are getting so many varying opinions.

• haley_comet
    13 years ago

Have to be honest but I gasped when I saw it...I think it is really terrible...Sorry :(...

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hahaha! These responses really are all over the board! Seems I picked out a paper that you either love or hate.

I think with mahogany/exotic woods it might look "old lady" but I don't think it would with the green wainscoting. But then, what do I know? I have a living room full of antiques and I love the layered look. I learned as a young bride that following trends was a huge waste of money that left you quickly with out-dated decor. Since then I figure if it's not "in" it can't go "out."

This paper is a bold move. I figure if it bombs it will bomb in a big way, but if it succeeds, it will succeed in a big way. I think it's in what you do around it.

Vampiressrn -- GREAT link for towels, thanks!

Anyone else care to weigh in?

• User
    13 years ago

Ok- I am not usually brave, but I do think the paper is gorgeous- really,. I don't think it belongs in the laundry room and I even would go so far as to say that it might then be a big miss- but for the bathroom I say GO FOR IT. I really love it and I love the whimsy.
    So kewl. (spoken by another old lady- I'm 57)

• rosie
    13 years ago

If there were any room in the house you could do anything you wanted without worrying what the people attending your fundraisers thought, it'd probably be the laundry room. Really, though, don't we just owe it to ourselves to make our laundry rooms delightful places to enter for all the time we use them?

Love the paper, BTW, Oceanna. My preference is usually for harmony of elements, with contrast introduced as needed but not the key element. So--vote for trim fairly similar in value to the background.

• trisha57_ny
    13 years ago

if this wallpaper makes you happy AND especially when you're doing laundry, then do it. It's beautiful.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I'm going to echo that the paper is too formal.

I like the wallpaper in your inspiration picture, so why not try to find a similar paper with similar colors?
    People seem to either love it or hate it, so consider you may have to remove it before you sell the home.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

You have to do what feels GOOD to you...it is not always about what is right or what is expected or what the book tells you to do. If you are sticking to a certain style, then yes...follow the guidelines, but if something excites you and you can pull it into your environment, then get wild and make your stamp on the decorating world. Have fun with your decor. :-)

I love that green on the shelves and think that would look awesome on some wainscoting with the paper above and paint the vanity the same color. I would leave the wood as is behind the toilet as it will pull that color in from the paper.

You can layer purple, pink and cheetah colored towels. If you keep towels in the cabinet above the toilet, why not pull the doors off and leave the shelf open. You can roll the towels to store them there. How about a wooden or wood looking countertop...something in the same color/grain range as the wood behind the toilet and that might not be too heavy for the laundry chute.

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like the floor would be a great match for the paper.

• emagineer
    13 years ago

I may agree with British Colonial, but add India in there. It doesn't feel right in a laundry room, but you have pulled off ideas we never thought would work.

Darn it Oceanna, the inspiration picture has the wall paper pattern that I have been looking for in a bedspread. Another inspiration photo of a bedroom you posted, I loved and have saved for 2 years. Still searching for the bedspread look alike.

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

Echoing the sentiment of "If you love it, go for it..."

If you change your mind down the road, you can always take it down. Not as easy as painting, but just make sure you put it up well and it's a good quality paper.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I also think it's great, and would be good in the bathroom.

Someone said it wouldn't look good in your average suburban house .. I doubt Oceanna's house is "average suburban"! :>)

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Hey Oceanna!

I think the wallpaper would be a knock out in the guest bathroom. If this wall paper reflects YOU, then go for it!! What about a wood countertop & laundry chute lid to coordinate with the wall behind the potty? Keeping the trim & cabs a light green. I just went to Ikea not too long ago & they ahve some very reasonably priced wood countertops.

Can't wait to see what you do!
    Smiles:)

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Love the tigers, love the leaves, don't love the chintz flowers. I think it is almost wonderful, but it combines two things that would be better by themselves.

And I disagree that you shouldn't put crazy bold paper in your laundry room, or your bath, if you like. The challenge in a laundry room is to make sure you don't use colors that are so strong that you can't see clearly if the clothes are clean.
    What I wouldn't do is use green trim there, or in the bathroom. The green tones will reflect on your skin, and not in a good way. Can you find a paper that has a clearer aesthetic choice and the greens you like, but that you can use with a rosy or warm neutral for the trim?

So I second the motion to look at Thibaut. Here's a link to their collections.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thibaut wallpaper

• User
    13 years ago

The wallpaper is different in a good way. I'd pick to use it in the bath but don't see why you couldn't use it in the laundry room if you wanted.

I'm torn about whether to use it on the whole wall or only half.

Refacing the cabinet sounds like a pain. You might be able to find someone to make new doors but it's probably cheaper to replace the vanity? Then you would need to mess with plumbing though. I'd paint the vanity a dark brown and change out the hardware.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo, thanks for the doors link!

Funcolors, I just don't like the grooves that are routed into the doors. Those are the white lines you see on the doors in the photo.

Andee, yes I'd remembered the gal who painted her counter. I think there are some online tutorials.

Sheilaaus122, aren't we officially just sweet kids until we reach 65? ;)

Rosie, fundraisers? Yes we really do deserve laundry rooms that make us smile. I called my utility company the other day to ask if I could sew a "cozy" for my electric water heater. The gal put me on hold and when she came back she said they were all chuckling over the idea and I was the first person to ask that. Can't imagine why, because I can't be the only woman alive sick of staring at an ugly water heater.

Htnspz, I've been looking and looking for that paper or close to it. I'm still looking. I should start a thread on that.

Emagineer, you said "but you have pulled off ideas we never thought would work." Thank you! That is what I like doing, taking something that's a bit edgy or different and seeing if I can pull it off. I've made some colossal mistakes that way, but also had a few nice triumphs. If it's any comfort, I can't find the paper either and I sure have tried. If one of us finds the stuff, we should alert the other. Which bedroom pic inspired you? You know the one that got to me was the bed with big orange flowers, orange checked bedskirt, and lots of pale green trim in the room. Never could find that quilt anywhere.

Pamghatten -- that's a great compliment, thank you! You're right. Ordinary has never been my goal. I prefer "wow" if I can manage it. I have often had to kiss a lot of frogs before finding the prince, decoratingly speaking.

ScoobyRuby, thanks for the tip about Ikea. It never would have dawned on me that I could get a pre-made.

Bronwynsmom, you said, "it combines two things that would be better by themselves." It combines two things we don't normally see together. That's the whimsical part that made me laugh -- but hey, I'm glad there are people on this earth with all sorts of tastes that are different from mine. I enjoy seeing what they do. Good thoughts about the laundry room. The green in this guest bath will be low; it shouldn't reflect on the guests' skin. I've spent a lot of time on Thibaut's home page. I agree with you they have some great stuff.

Sheesh, you're right that hardware needs to go. I'm thinking I'll put up wainscoting (I probably have enough left over paper for the bathroom) and paint that and the vanity green.

To those of you who didn't like the paper, thank you for sharing what is so for you. I go out on decorating limbs a bit, but with hopes that I can make it work. Sometimes I can. Sometimes I can't.

• stevelawrance
    13 years ago

These are all looking very good but the wallpaper with light green leaves is looking more beautiful. I am also going to add the same wall paper in my living room. I am sure it will enhance the beauty of my room.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPDM Coatings

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

I think you have answered your own question!
    Following your own lights is what makes your house so successful, and hearing other people's reactions does sometimes clarify for you what you really wanted to do in the first place, doesn't it?

The best advice I ever got when stuck on an "either-or" decision was this: Flip a coin, and if you are disappointed in the outcome, do the other thing.

Another method for chivvying out the essence.
    Show us how it looks when you're done!

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

If you really like it, put it in the laundry room - it's your house. That and some wicker baskets and tiger-print rugs ... whimsical and not at all formal.

I would use the deep raspberry or the purple for walls and trim in bath or laundry. In a small less-used you can use wilder things than you can in a living room.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

The counter top and the fronts of the bins are Formica and can't be painted Oh YES it can!

With the right primer (high-grip), your choice of paint, and a couple of topcoats of clear polyacrylic you will have new doors and countertops. You can make faux stone easily, or stripes or whatever.

I would use bamboo shades as the wainscot material, held in place with strips of bamboo or molding. Painted or not - washed with a pale green or beige?

If you are going British Colonial, take it to the edge and push it over. :)

• bungalow_house
    13 years ago

I am late chiming in, but thought I would throw it out anyway. I like the wallpaper, and think it would be great in the right room, but I have a hard time imagining it in a room with washer, dryer, hangers, toilet, tub etc. Do you know what I mean? Too much cognitive dissonance for me. Someone mentioned putting it in a foyer. That would make much more sense to me.

Please do let us know how it turns out!

• deegw
    13 years ago

What if you forget the wallpaper and go for a British colonial fabric? It could be a window treatment in the laundry room or shower curtain in the bathroom.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I'm in the minority but I love the wallpaper and the color of green for your laundry room!

The lions on the paper makes it more informal than formal, IMO.

The laundry room will be a fun place to work!

• mjsee
    13 years ago

If you love it...go for it. It's JUST wallpaper. Re: the counter...if you want to keep it all the same...take a look at some of the new laminates. I think you'll be pleased.