SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help with baseboard and shoe stain!

2ajsmama
15 years ago

Hi, have to ask advice in this same line. Built last summer, have clear pine baseboard and trim I've been finishing (some natural, some with a touch of Minwax Honey Maple gel where window jambs were turning dark with conditioner, sill was light so touched with honey to blend in). Here's the problem - installing Brazilian Cherry in dining room on Friday, open to foyer (dark green tile) and stairs (oak tread with linseed oil/beeswax, unfinished pine risers). What do I do with trim and baseboards (1 long wall from dining to front door) to make it look good with cherry floors (will darken with age) and oak stairs/furniture? I I bought some colonial stop that's not too high for my 3 1/4" colonial base, figured I'd use that as shoe. But what color do I stain it? Cherry is too dark, Antique Maple too orange - would just 2 coats of Honey Maple be OK, or is 3 species/colors of wood in 1 room too much? Golden Oak looks horrible on pine, Honey Maple was the best I could find to go with my oak kitchen cabinets. Here's a pic of Honey Maple with the cherry. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: base+floor

Comments (9)