SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molly_phillips5546059

Kitchen colors (x-posted in kitchen forum)

Molly Phillips
11 years ago

We have to replace the flooring in our kitchen (grout is coming out of the tiles), which is prompting a mini-remodel to make it more functional for me (we're considering adding a peninsula or island with a prep sink).

My decorating dilemma for this forum is that the hickory stain-grade cabinets, wall color, green/black granite and tile floor look waaaaaay too blah. I'm not fond of the granite (too much green for me) but I don't really want to pay to replace it. I've considered painting the cabinets white to get away from combination of the warm hickory and the cool green/black granite but I'm not sure I want to paint the cabinets. I know the walls need painting but I'm not sure what color. I DO know I want the kitchen to be happy - I have a collection of Fiesta plates that don't fit in with the current colors. This room just seems so....serious. I need some whimsy!

Also, if you have a floor suggestion, that would be great! The kitchen adjoins rooms that all have hickory hardwoods. I've considered that in the kitchen, but with the hickory cabinets, I'm afraid it will look like a hickory tree threw up in there.

Comment (1)