SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcfixerupper_gw

Kitchen Lighting - Help! (x-post w/ Lighting forum)

dcfixerupper
14 years ago

X-posting b/c this forum is always the most helpful! Please look at 3 layouts below - I really want to use 4" recessed lighting but have run into problems on configuration and design where I'm hoping this forum can help.

Plan A - 4in lights placed more in task areas and then a few in the center line to help w/ dark spots/ambient lighting.

Plan B - 4in lights more evenly spaced - but am wondering if there are too many?

Plan C - If I have to give up on my 4in preference and use 5in lights evenly spaced

Other relevant questions:

* IÂve been researching line voltage vs. low voltage and am still confused. Seems like itÂs only low voltage that can be replaced w/ LED eventually? Also thereÂs notes that low voltage can have wider beam spreads and less heating? But my contractor recommends line voltage?

* Are the 4" bulbs 100w or 60w or 75? My contractor says the dimmer is rated for 1000w, but should be limited to 82% of capacity  and heÂs advising 500-650w total on one dimmer/4-way switch. So IÂve got to figure out how many lights can go on 1 switch.

* We have 1 4-way switch wired to turn on the "main kitchen lights". WeÂll have to come up with more. Do you have any guidance on # lights that can be controlled by a single switch?

* Should the lights be arranged more to line up w/ the cabinet/task areas  or instead be more evenly distributed? Will one approach provide more even lighting? (Reflected in the first two options below.)

Comments (3)