SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Changing your Color Scheme

jockewing
15 years ago

I have always had a warm color scheme, with tan walls with lots of golds, bright orange-y reds, and yellowed greens. I find that this doesn't work too well in my smaller house because it feels too busy and isn't soothing. I have a red rugs with lots of pattern and bright red pillows with busy patterns too, and the stuff is just too much.

I find myself being drawn to soothing colors, especially blue-greens and lots of creams and whites. I want to ditch the busy red rug and get something light colored with a textured look rather than a busy pattern. I am thinking of painting the walls something like Palladian blue. I currently have some sage-y colored window panels I got on clearance from Pier One. Would a pale blue-green work with these? Actually, I wish I had the money to get some ivory or champagne colored drapes.

How does one go about making a fundamental change in their style without making too many costly mistakes? I don't want to paint my big combined kitchen/living room and end up not liking it!

I just wish I had the money to put in dark wood floors, finish out my windows with white trim, make the walls a pale smoky blue green, and adds lots of white and linen with colorful paintings with golds and rich reds.

Do any of you go through "color stages" like I do where every couple of months you like a whole different palette than the month before?

Comments (4)