SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Buying art from the artist

neetsiepie
13 years ago

If you are at an exhibit or show and can meet the artist, does the artist demeanor have an effect on if you will buy a piece or not?

I was at an artisans fair yesterday and went into a booth that just caused me such joy. I fell in love with the works and knew on the spot I had to buy some. The artist was not in there at the time, but I waited till he showed up. I had had time to explore all his work and was so tickled, but he turned out to be rather grumpy and off putting. He so didn't have the same personality that the work exhibited. I asked him about his inspiration and where he was based (so I could buy more later) and he was just this side of rude.

I ended up buying two pieces anyway, but my DH said he would not have bought anything from him based solely on his attitude. My DD also said that she wouldn't have bought from him.

What would you do? His work made me so happy and I love it, but his attitude did take a bit of the shine off it. What do you think?

Comments (35)

• peaches12345
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Buy the art you love and I'm glad you did. Nice if you like the artist, too, but since he's not going home with you he doesn't matter.

• natal
    13 years ago

Everyone has bad days.

• Related Discussions

Transition from Arts & Crafts to Art Deco?

Q

Comments (106)
    I went looking for images of those elements. Ribbed glass panels in cabinet doors is easy enough. Here's one in a bathroom vanity: Ribbed glass (or ''seeded'' glass) is also often found in period light fixtures: As for marquetry countertops, if you asked most kitchen cabinet makers for such, I imagine they would gape blankly at the gabbling woman. But there are plenty of companies doing stock and custom hardwood marquetry inlays using CNC laser cutters. Here's the thing - they are doing it in floors. Google ''hardwood floor inlay'' and see. Yes, many of the rosettes are infeasible for a 26'' counter, but look for the ''border'' designs - or create your own. Assemble a 26'' wide section of inlaid ''floor'' on a 3/4'' plywood substrate, encase it in Waterlox, and I do believe you'd have yourself a marquetry countertop. Another option - perhaps cheaper - is stenciling on hardwood, of which this is an example. And so is this What else? Beveled glass is readily available, as is chrome countertop edging, and any furniture or auto upholstery shop can cover a panel of 1/8'' plywood in soft butterscotch leather framed in silver studs (maybe not actual silver, but close enough). I don't know exactly what version of Art Deco you are headed for, or if you even like butterscotch, but the point is, you are not doing yet another white kitchen, you're doing something that isn't being done by the mainstream, so the ordinary kitchen sources are not making this stuff. Sure, there is cool Art Deco hardware around, but what passes for ''Art Deco'' kitchen cabinetry in the online catalogs is . . . disappointing. You are going to have to make it, or at least source it, yourself - and I think if you're comfortable outside the painted lines, you can. You'll find yourself hiring a floor guy to work on a countertop, hunting down the local hot rod upholstery shops, telling your cabinet maker to fit bathroom vanity faces to kitchen cabinet boxes - they'll still look at you like you're crazy, but you'll know you're not. Go for it, girl!
    ...See More

Do you have a lot of art from the same artist?

Q

Comments (25)
    I have that four seasons "Winter" print matted and framed, Boop. I love it and have it hanging on my kitchen mantle every December! Living here in New Mexico, which is an artist's mecca, it's very easy fall into collecting art. We have many, many large framed photos here in our home and at our clinic from wildlife photographer, Phil Sonier. We love his work! I also have 3 by a favorite NM pastel artist. We have a large oil over our living room fireplace by NM artist, Michael McCullough, and another of his pieces in our clinic. We've also bought his paintings to give as gifts a few times. But the rest have been purchased at gallery openings and shows, just whenever I happen to fall crazy in love with a particular piece . . . which is too often!
    ...See More

Where do you buy Artwork?

Q

Comments (20)
    When I want to look at a piece of art over and over and keep being drawn back to it, that makes me buy it! Sometimes we’re looking for something for a specific spot, so then size, and maybe colours become a factor in choosing it as well, but still loving the piece itself is always the most important. It’s also a bonus if we’ve met the artist,or if the work was done by some we know, or we acquired it somewhere special. The most interesting, beautiful rooms on Houzz always have interesting art. Generic, inoffensive art bought because it matches the pillows doesn’t add interest to a room or home. As to where to get it? Local art shows, small galleries when we travel, anywhere really (other than big box stores).
    ...See More

Art Art Art! Need suggestions for on or above fireplace decor.

Q

Comments (17)
    I post accessories because it would matter as to your art.... https://www.etsy.com/listing/915171928/18x18-throw-pillow-cover-thick-linen?click_key=00a9f6202d0d370c94866a7792e57679f5864f1f%3A915171928&click_sum=13fd9e20&ref=internal_similar_listing_bot-6 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.etsy.com/listing/877047017/william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris?ref=listing_page_ad_row-5&pro=1&frs=1&listing_id=877047017&listing_slug=william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris&plkey=2181f9bb37e207d1eaef8b9df895fd763e6e75b4%3A877047017
    ...See More
  • jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

I would buy it if I liked it. While the artist's demeanor was poor, without knowing him, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he just learned of some bad news, has health problems, or a mood disorder. Who knows? A friend of ours is an excellent book illustrator, and he is prone to bouts of depression. We love him dearly, regardless of his periodic withdrawal from friends and family. I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of this rude behavior. I hope the beautiful art you purchased from this artist helps you see the best in him. I'm so curious about it. Is it possible to share pictures of how you've used it in your home?

Jan

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I agree that we can all have bad days, but when a person is promoting their own work, they should at least be cordial or have someone else cover for them on days they are challenged. I buy art direct from artists and if they are friendly and appreciative of you as an admiring consumer, it makes the buying experience so much more positive and can encourage your support of their work on a long term basis.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

First, let me say I am so happy to hear that you bought directly from a real artist! And that his work made you happy.
    But, not everybody is meant to work with the public. It is, more often than not, a discipline that requires much of your work be done solo. So, 2 things come to my mind. 1). Is that he may simply lack the gift of gab. And 2). he may have been exposed to many rude customers and was just fed up.
    I have never sold my work in a public forum, but I know artists who do and you would not believe the things that people say, right in front of you!
    So, I am glad that you bought the piece anyway. That's how he makes his living.
    On the flip side, some people like to think that artists are moody, tortured and a bit crazy.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I do and have done shows. As an artist I can say there is NO excuse for rude behavior, especially if I'm trying to sell. I do understand about the stupid and rude comments that people coming into the booth make and it does at times make me mad, but I will try and deflect stupid comments with a witty or silly remark. If someone is interested in my work, I love to tell them about my process etc.

I too am thrilled you bought real art from a real artist as opposed to buying prints in a store. Thank you!

On the other side though when you do go into a booth, please try and be polite also. Look at the work, and if it's not your cup of tea, please don't make rude comments like:

My 12 year old could do that.
    My aunt shirley does work just like yours.
    That's a nice hobby you have there.
    How much do you make an hour doing what you do? (Yes I actually have had people say that to me.)

That costs HOW MUCH? I wouldn't pay that much for that. (Usually said by someone wearing Manolo's. Once I did say something rude because this person went on and on about how my work was priced too high and in front of possible other customers. I finally turned to her and said, " Your shoes cost you more than this painting does and you will wear out your shoes and have nothing to show for it. My art will be here long past your time and will make someone smile everytime they look at it on their wall." I couldn't help myself...LOL.

And then there are the well meaning questions that are just too hard to answer.

How long did it take you to do? I always wonder if they ask because they're trying to figure out my hourly wage or because they really are curious about the time it took to make.

Then there are the people who fancy themselves artists who come into the booth, and want to know your whole process of creating the piece. Then they proceed to tell you for 1/2 hour or more about the work they're doing. This also usually when there's a booth full of people.

Or the people who have you pull every drawing off the wall trying to decide, spend anywhere from 1/2 hour to two hours, then ask for a card and say they'll be back. If I got a dime for every person who said I'll be back and didn't, I'd retire! LOL. Of course there are some who do and those who actually do, usually wind up buying more than one drawing. Go figure.

But the worst are those who want to bargain with you. You quote your price and they start bargaining. Or they say, "What is the price going to be at the close of the show?" My price is based on my time it took to make, the time I spend doing all the drudgery of a business including sitting at a show, my other overhead, etc and my prices are not negotiable. I worked hard and put many hours into each of my drawings and I find it rude that people do that. After all, if they went to a lawyer or a Dr. they wouldn't say to the Dr, oh that's too expensive, can you do my heart surgery for 1/2 price? In actuality if someone buys more than one piece from me, I'll voluntarily give them a small discount for both. I do the same for repeat customers.

But, having said all that, I've found most people are quite nice and truly interested in my work even if they're not buying. And I have no problem talking to those who say they can't buy for whatever reason (no money, no wall space, etc) if they let me know from the start. Usually those are the people who wind up helping me sell to someone else because they're so enthused with my work. LOL.

I'm putting my link in for those who haven't seen it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Colored Pencil Drawings

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

If I loved the work and wanted it, the artist would have to throw me out of the place in order to keep me from buying it.

Case in point, there was a antique woman in Michigan that all my friends and family called the Antique Nazi, actually it was more like a junk shop and fire trap. She was an old humped over Arab lady and she knew every piece of crap she had in there from floor to ceiling.

At any rate, my sister and her partner were thrown out of there because they decided they didn't want a dining table & chairs after the Nazi had her help climb up the heap for them.

So when I went up to visit they begged me to go into the so called shop and buy them this piece of porcelain they wanted, and told me exactly where it was. I said, for goodness sakes she's an old woman she won't remember you and she'll be over it by now. So, they agreed and we all went to the Nazi's shop.

She was mean as a snake to them and it amazed me how rude she was to all her customers, they were scared to death of her, grown men too.

For some reason she took a liking to me, following me around the store wanting to give me a Twinkie, the box it came out of had a black mark on the outside which meant the Twinkies would last two thousand years rather than a thousand. She had the voice of a gypsy glasping that twinkie with those dirty little fingers, she gave me the creeps and I couldn't get out of there fast enough but I had to wait for my sister.
    Meanwhile, my sister and her girlfriend were hiding around some junk piles laughing their heads off watching me trying to get away from the Nazi. I actually broke out into a sweat, which made them laugh even more.

I saw a handwritten sign that said "Don't go back here, that means YOU, you ba--ard." It was like watching a Seinfield episode. It started to get comical, me sweating and walking fast with the Nazi right on my feet.

Finally, they bought the porcelain elephant (it was uuuugly) and we were out of there. That story is still funnay to my family and myself and we laugh often about it. We call it the Nazi antique lady story.

So, if people want something bad enough they will put up with almost anything, in my opinion.

....Jane

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I prefer to buy directly from the artist. We used to do shows with DH's (and my own) works and heard it all. So I know what it's like to have someone love your work.

This is acrylic on metal, and then he puts a marine varnish on it so it can go outdoors as well as in. The cats pic is about 24x24 and the rooster is 11x11. I have roosters in my kitchen, so he's hanging in there. The cats are in my library. The other two photos are silkscreens my DD's BF made for us of two of our dogs. I need to rehang them all better, but I love the colors together. {{gwi:1812607}}From art
    {{gwi:1812608}}From art
    {{gwi:1812609}}From art

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I have heard plenty of loud comments from people that leave booths and it amazes me how rude they can be. What happened to common curiosity?

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

OMG...Jane that story is hysterical!!!

There is certainly something to be said about the Internet. If you are not a person who does well in public, then open a website and sell from there.

I can imagine that shoppers can be just as inappropriate, you wonder why they are even looking. If you don't like something, you could at least wait til your out of earshot to make a snarky comment...sad indeed.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

There are those of us who are blessed with "retail personalities" and those who are not. If I like the work...I buy it. And I work retail.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I've frequented a lot of crafts shows, and in the D.C. area (and elsewhere) the Sugarloaf crafts shows attract a lot of people. A few years ago, I'd seen a photographer show his works there. Hemmed and hawed over a certain photo, really loved it, but I just wasn't sure I could afford it (no, I didn't try to bargain on his price--I can't believe some people would even think of this! WOW). His personality wasn't extremely happy, but it was OK. I knew he'd be at other shows, and soon after I finally decided to get the photo. E-mailed him to make sure he'd have the size I wanted at the next show. Went and purchased it, was happy. But as he was looking for the print, I asked him about a size larger in it, and he noticed that he remembered that he had one but he couldn't find it. He was convinced that somebody walked off with it (I really hope that wasn't the case). When I left, all I could think of (well, besides feeling really sorry for him) was that I was glad I made my purchase before he realized the loss of that larger print--I would have hated to be the next customer--his demeanor would probably have been really sullen!

To the OP: Maybe his sales were really low during that show. And (altho I'm not an artist) I can imagine the labor involved in packing all your works for the show, driving however many miles, shlepping everything inside and setting up, putting on your sales hat and dealing with the kinds of rude questions that previous posters mentioned. Then tallying up the sales and having to pack the rest of your stuff up and driving back home. I'm sure it can wear on a person. I don't envy that part of being an artist.

I have to add, tho, that if I'd purchased something from a grumpy person, or someone who didn't care to engage me, that piece of art would always have a shadow over it--I'd always look at it and remember that it was a less-than-perfect buying experience.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Many of the great artists in history led deranged, troubled lives. Perhaps their art was the solace for such distress.
    I would buy art if I loved it, period.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

Jane, that story is SO funny! I'm really laughing out loud - really! Just goes to show that it doesn't pay to take life too seriously, right?

• cpartist
    13 years ago

"Many of the great artists in history led deranged, troubled lives. Perhaps their art was the solace for such distress.
    I would buy art if I loved it, period"

Yes some did, but mostly that isn't true. Most were well respected citizens, a bit strange, but not deranged. This is one of those old wives tales that keeps popping up. Frankly off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are Van Gogh, Pollack (actually an alcoholic and not deranged) and deKooning. In actuality deKooning had alzheimers in his later years but was fine until dementia got him.

All of the artists I know are "normal" people like the rest of the population and not deranged. In actuality, you need a degree of sanity to produce, same as any other business. I actually resent that comment.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am a real estate agent and so hear all sorts of comments, often within earshot of the homeowners. The worst are the parents of the buyers who walk in looking like someone just farted. They think their son or daughter is overpaying, but if you asked what their own house is worth a few blocks away, it would be several hundred thousand more, lol....
    We also have the "I am looking for my daughter/niece/barber/ etc..." type that come to open houses. We know they are just "nosey neighbors" but every now and then, one comes back with the relative who is actually looking for a house and we are stunned. The truth of the matter is if someone walks in and says they live nearby and just curious, they are quite welcome to look around. Some people feel the need to concoct a story, lol.
    I inform the buyers early on that they can tell me anything and can make fun of a house all they want, but not anywhere near the sellers as that is disrespectful to do while a guest in someone's home. It is also rude to say something has to be ripped out right away because 1. the seller may have picked that out and paid with their hard earned money, 2. they think you are a snob and resist selling to you, 3. they assume you have a ton of money since you obviously have enough to change the house in so many ways (what's a little more for the seller going to hurt?) 4. the wife has wanted a new kitchen for ages and never got one and this brat of a youngster comes in and says she "needs" a new kitchen on day 1 and makes a low offer so she can get what the seller never did........ all are awful strategies and a guarantee the seller will squeeze you for every dime possible!
    We all have plenty of foot in mouth stories!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I couldn't agree more Jan, life is too short to take it seriously, but I always do. (lol)

• larke
    13 years ago

I would never think to ask a possible buyer to not say one thing or another because the seller was in earshot - I'd make very sure the seller was nowhere nearby at all to begin with.

• barb5
    13 years ago

Pesky, those are wonderful!!

I would just let the curmudgeon artist become a part of the story of the art, if anyone should ask where you got them, it makes a good story. Wasn't Van Gogh bipolar? I bet if you caught him on his down cycle, it wouldn't have been a nice encounter. But his art!!!!!

Enjoy!

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Pesky, I love your finds. They are just delightful and I can't imagine being depressed around them. I can see how you would have expected the artist to have a twinkle in his eye. I'm sorry he was rude to you. I'm glad you bought the pictures. I can't wait to see where you hang them.

CPArtist, your work is lovely! You're very talented and I can see why you have many fans.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Well actually, cpartist, you shouldn't resent it as I am a professional artist. I've been an illustrator for 25 years since graduation from Ringling School of Art and Design.
    I dislike the idea that artists have to be happy to produce good work! Or for that matter, their temperament is integral at all.
    Of course, the actual selling of art is a different matter.
    And I can think of plenty of troubled artists.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

I totally agree with you regarding how the unpleasantness of an artist may remove the pleasure of buying a painting; I used to own a gallery and buyers used to ask questions on the artists, they wanted to know something about them, I knew all of them personally so I was able to draw them a picture of how the artist worked , how the studio was, what his/her career path had been or was, I could tell that it was an influence on how they perceived the work they loved.

I was lucky that I liked all the artists I represented ; when I bought the gallery from it's previous owner, there were a few artists already there that I ended up replacing with others within the first year, their work was ok but I wasn't feeling a good vibe in my dealings with them. I'm not the type of person who can sell what I don't like or believe in.

so Pesky, I guess you'd feel better if you hadn't met him, you could entertain the illusion that he was a nice guy.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Well actually, cpartist, you shouldn't resent it as I am a professional artist. I've been an illustrator for 25 years since graduation from Ringling School of Art and Design.

Then I take it back. :) Are you still in the Sarasota area?

• miaochi
    13 years ago

That's why they called artist because they really did the best. And for sure whatever they offer it would be great when you have it. For the better and you love the most, buy it! No disagreements when arts are from the artists.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftmatic

• natal
    13 years ago

Many of the great artists in history led deranged, troubled lives. Perhaps their art was the solace for such distress.

Frankly off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are Van Gogh, Pollack (actually an alcoholic and not deranged) and deKooning.

To that list you can add George Ohr ... eccentric, slightly mad ... and Walter Anderson who suffered from severe depression.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

That's 5 out of hundreds of well known artists, if not more. The point being, that while we can be a bit eccentric, we're not any more likely to be deranged than the general public.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

Pesky, great works!

My grandparents were artists ... my grandfather being "The Artist" had no desire to sell his works or deal with the public. Thankfully, since they lived during the depression, my grandmother sold his art to support the family ... and worked as a teacher.

Her art was also good, but nobody even knew she was an artist until I started promoting both their works in the past few years. One of the local museums, the Burchfield Penney Art Center, was happy to have me donate pieces from both of my grandparents to add to their collection. They knew his work, but didn't know her as an artist.

So it worked for my grandparents, that she could be the people person to sell his art.

• deegw
    13 years ago

I recently had a great conversation at a show with a color block print artist. He wasn't the most socially adept person but he was so thoughtful and enthusiastic about his work that I couldn't resist making a purchase. Every little detail about the print was very carefully thought out. If I saw the print in a store, I would have probably not thought it was worth the money. But, after I realized how much time and effort went in to the piece, I couldn't resist.

• natal
    13 years ago

Still crazy after all these years ...

Here is a link that might be useful: more on the subject of mental illness and creative minds

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

OK. So, I'm reading the first part of that article, and I'm thinking "uh oh, I'm screwed".
    By the end, I was happy again.
    I never subscribed to the theory that to be an artist, you needed to be *crazy*.
    I do know the theory is prevalent, however. I have been asked many times how can I be an artist because I was so normal. I take nothing personal, as long as the check clears!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Depends on personality type. I think I go against the grain here. If I saw an "it" piece, but the artist was being a jackwagon, I would pass. For one, I would not want to give them my money. For two, no matter how great the piece was, I think I'd always look at it and think "That artist was a jackwagon... and now I've paid good money for a souvenir of their bad attitude..." instead of thinking "Mmmmmm..."

This kinda happened to me once, so I'm not just entirely guessing.

• oceanna
    13 years ago

Well, this artist and published author thinks it's crazy NOT to be creative. Being creative is simply one of the pieces of a well-rounded life.

There is such joy in creating beauty with our hands -- which, after all, is why we're all on this board, is it not? Are we all crazy? I don't think so.

It's crazy to just work, watch TV in drab surroundings, sleep and do it over again.

I learned very young the joy of doing a good drawing, or painting, or sewing something pretty to wear. I feel sorry for those who have no confidence in themselves to create, who were not encouraged as children to express themselves through art of some sort.

The part of the article that resonated with me is the part that said you can't create if you're truly crazy. Well duh.

When I see someone who can rescue an old kitchen table and turn it into a beautiful new kitchen island; or grab an old shabby mid-century dresser out of the thrift store and turn it into a glamorous mirrored beauty; or walk up to a blank wall and create a breath-taking mural; or is willing to put in the work to pick out the perfect sofa or drapes, I'm very impressed! I wish you lived next door because we would have such fun.

I suspect those who call us crazy are just jealous. Ya think?

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I could not care less if the artist/creator/craftsperson is my new best pal. Lack of salesmanship is one reason artist show at galleries and have art dealers.

And yes, it would be nice if when buying something at an art fair, everyone was adorable, but life's like that. If I like the art, I don't care about the artist's opinion of me, my money or my new shoes.

I guess I'm not a sensitive flower.

Bumblebeez--my darling child is at Ringling now. I do have to remind people she's not in clown college.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Haha ideefixe, I hope you get to visit her often, the beaches are gorgeous!
    I miss the smell of orange groves in the evening.
    cpartist, I only went to college in Sarasota then moved back home to SC.
    Too hot and buggy for me.
    Once, I went to a meeting at a very upscale Sarasota home ( it was a church get together), the house had 5 stories with a huge roof top balcony that overlooked the bay. We had pizzas on the balcony and sat around and talked until it was dark.
    As we went down in the elevator carrying the pizza boxes, palmetto bugs (giant flying roaches) started streaming out from the boxes. They had flown in while we sat around talking. AHHHH!

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Ah yes the palmetto's. Thankfully I have only seen one so far. LOL. Ideefixe, definitely get down to Sarasota. It's gorgeous and so much to do for those who love the arts.

I'm trying to figure out what Natal was trying to say with that article.

I know I'm a bit odd at times, but like the article said, I wouldn't be able to create if I was crazy. Creating is what actually what keeps me sane! LOL. Some people run, some people read, I create!

Oceanna yes it would be fun living next to you too. I am happiest if I'm creating something.