SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splinky

New Electrical Service in Old Home

splinky
16 years ago

I'm in the process of purchasing an old home (circa 1925) (3 bedrooms 1.5 baths) and the power situation is dismal. The current service is a 60amp fuse box with 8 circuits. The service will need to be upgraded to make the property insurable and to be able to run more than one appliance at a time ;-).

I'm thinking, at a minimum, I'll need 200 amp service, but have no idea how many circuits and what else I need to consider. I plan to have dual fuel range,additional separate convection oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer, multiple cable outlets, cable modem with wireless (i'd like the cable connections to be homeruns from the main house connection), multiple ethernet outlets, security system, lutron remote lighting system. I'd also like to leave some empty space in the new box for future lines to be added. I'm also looking for ideas on smart plans for wiring since I'm sure lots of new wire will have to be run.

This is pretty much my first time to this rodeo so, I'll be grateful for any and all advice and ideas. Thanks!

Splinky

Comments (10)