SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_912816766

Re: Getting new electric service panel & it’s distance from gas meter

HU-912816766
3 years ago

Hello All,

I wish to request your expert opinion and comments on this issue since I do not trust the solar companies about this.

I have attached some pictures for your reference.

Our existing electrical service panel is 100A.

We are planning to get a 7.2KW solar system and will be buying an electric car this month.

A few solar companies are saying we need a new 20A service panel because the current panel will not be sufficient for solar and electric car. And few others say, we can make it work.

The upper cabinet houses the service panel and the lower one houses the gas meter.

The solar companies that are against changing the panel say that according to new codes, the eclectic service panel and the gas meter should be at least 36 inches apart. And if I get new service panel, I will have to either move the service panel or the gas meter to a different location and that will cost a lot of money.

My questions:

1. Do I really need a new 200A panel for my scenario?

2. Is it true that the electric service panel and gas meter should be 36 inches apart, even if they are in their own separate housing (see picture)?

3. If they need to be, can’t we move the electric panel towards the top in the same cabinet? Right now they are about 30 inches apart and if service panel is moved up; the upper edge of gas meter will be more than 40 inches away from lower edge of service panel.

Could anyone please help me out and also suggest the best way forward in the long run.

Thank you for your help !!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional