SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenica_gw

Recommendations for a good basic electric book.

jenica
15 years ago

Hi,

I know the very basics of wiring. I've changed out outlets, switches, fixed some lamps and installed a few programmable thermostats so I know enough to tell the ground from the hot and how to match it all up. I'd like to learn more so I don't need to call in an electrician for every job more complicated than a bad outlet. Can anyone recommend a good basic book. I want to learn: differences in wire gages and when to use what where, how to run new circuits from a breaker box, how to install junction boxes, how to run wire for lights/outlets and basic safety considerations like how many outlets I can run in a row, when I need a higher amp outlet, etc.

We had our crawlspace enlarged to a basement and we now have a lot of electrical work to do down there (only one light fixture and one outlet right now). I have 200 amp service to the house and a big breaker box with plenty of extra circuits. I plan on moving the laundry room down the basement and having a wood workshop down there so was thinking a subpanel down there would be good. I want to learn enough to at least run the lights and outlets from the subpanel myself but if I could do the whole job so much the better. So what do you think, is it possible to learn enough from a book to accomplish this? I'm mechanically minded and have taught myself how to work on my car from books and I never end up with left over parts, haha.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (7)