SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaspultz

New Load Center Panel - Please Review My Layout

Tom Pultz
14 years ago

After I get all the wiring roughed-in and the rest of the associated remodeling finished the final task will be to upgrade the electrical load center panel from the 20 space/40 circuit GE to a 40 space/40 circuit SQ D QO140M200C.

The attached link pulls up a PDF version of my proposed layout. I would greatly appreciate comments regarding recommended changes or additions.

As you can see I grouped the breakers as follows from top to bottom:

- All 2-pole breakers, from 50A down to 20A.

- All 20A breakers.

- Four spare spaces.

- All 15A breakers.

- All CAFIC and GFIC breakers.

In our area CAFIC protection is only required for the bedrooms, but I am going to add three more for the family room, living room and dining room to meet the 2008 NEC.

I am planning to wire the garage refrigerator with a single receptacle without GFI. I know that doesn't meet the 2008 NEC but as long as it's not required here I would like to avoid having the refrigerator on a GFI. It can always be changed later.

I was also wondering about the receptacle outlet in the garage ceiling for the garage door opener. I believe that should be a GFI also per the 2008 NEC since the exception for "not easily accessible receptacles" has been removed. But again, our area does not follow the 2008 NEC yet, so I should be OK without a GFI.

The range hood is shown as 15A. The wiring to the hood area is currently the existing 20A circuit for the old OTR Micro/Fan combo. The actual blower is up on the roof and when I installed it I wired it with 14 GA wire since that's all it required. I was just planning to leave the old 12 GA wire in place and connect it to the 14 GA in the range hood junction box. Since I have 14 GA wire in the circuit I used a 15A breaker.

The proposed layout is predicated on the existing circuit wiring (shown with red breaker numbers) reaching the new locations in the panel. I don't really want to pigtail them if possible. Actually, I think I'll probably pull as many new circuits as I can to replace any old wire.

But for now I'd really like some feedback from the experts that do this for a living and not just a hobby :-)

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Proposed Load Center Layout

Comments (5)