SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riotbrrd

Please review my layout!

Kim Ladin
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all,

I've finally stopped futzing and have a preliminary layout for my kitchen. I would really appreciate any feedback!

Background: We have a 1958 ranch house here in Mountain View, CA. We're going to basically gut the "public" wing of the house and add just about 140 SF. I live here with my husband, our 10-year-old, and a couple of cats.

The plans below are what I've cobbled together in Home Designer Interiors software. It's a bit limited, so please ignore some of the weird details like toekicks in the wrong place, countertops looking funky in plan view, no actual elevations, etc.

This is really a general layout plan; I haven't finessed the details like end panels and outlet placement. I also haven't applied colors or materials.

Due to budget, we'll be getting our cabinetry from Ikea with custom doors from a source still TBD.

So.... tada!

Where the kitchen fits in the house:

Note there is a 4'-wide pantry area just through the door in the utility room.

The kitchen floorplan:

A rendering (again, without color/material selections):

The ceiling is actually vaulted, but the rendering doesn't show it. There will be a big glulam beam running across the room basically where the kitchen ends and the dining area begins. I think it's at 8' high.

Details on the cabinet layout (my software can't do actual elevations)...

The stove wall:

The fridge wall:

The island from living room:

Island from other side:

Island and stove wall:

I'm a little concerned about the weird shapes I've created under the island. I really want to have seating go around the corner rather than just in a straight line, and I wasn't sure what else to do. I guess I could get rid of the beverage fridge (it's not absolutely necessary) and do a little rearranging so that the entire side in the picture above just has a straight 10-15" overhang.

Thanks in advance! And let me know if there's any more info you need.

-Kim

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH