SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sniffdog

Power Gen For Dummies

sniffdog
16 years ago

Someone needs to write a book like this for me. I have done a lot of research on standby generators mainly from posts on this forum. I have decided to purchase a Kohler 17KW generator with 200 AMP automatic transfer switch  so far  so good. But I have some questions that I can't find answers to.

I started calling people who sell & install these things. The turn key solution providers want WAY TOO much money. I went to LoweÂs who sells the Kohler gensets  and they are clueless on the install. They basically drop it off at your door and drive away. I found a local supplier who can get me a great deal on the Kohler and will drop in onto the pad.

So I have decided on a hybrid approach. I want a pro to install the electrical (and I have a very good licensed electrician who has experience with Generac and Guardian) as well as a great plumber who can install the gas line. I will build the pad myself, dig the trenches and so forth  basically all the prep.

But here is the thing that is confusing me: should I buy a Standard ATS or a Service Disconnect ATS. Here is how my electrical system is configured:

A 600 amp service with 3 main panels (200 amps each).

A 100 amp sub-panel is tied to one of the 3 main panels  and in this sub-panel I have all of the branch circuits I want backed up (except 1  the well pump  which will be moved to this sub-panel). The sub-panel provides power for some outlets, lights, etc. They key items it has are two refrigerators, the power for my gas and wood burning fireplaces which act as my backup heat, and eventually the well pump. I also have the main TV, computer etc.

It would seem that I could treat the 100 Amp feed coming into the sub-panel as if it were like a service entrance (2 hots, neutral, and ground) . Could I take that 100 amp feeder and route it to the Service Disconnect ATS first  then come out of the ATS and go back to the sun-panel? In this configuration  how is the generator protected from being overloaded? Does the Service Disconnect ATS have a protection circuit breaker built in?

The standard ATS seemed more complicated for my situation. For that  the electrician told me you install a 100 AMP breaker into the sub-panel  then feed the ATS off that breaker. Then you have to run jumpers from the ATS over to each circuit to be backed up. That seemed like a mess to me  although the 100 AMP breaker would provide protection to make sure the generator was not overloaded.

The other question I have is how much tuning is required to make sure they system is operating properly. What tools would be needed? It seems like a voltmeter and frequency measurement device is all I need. I need to make sure the generator puts out 240 volts and 60 Hz  can someone explain how complicated this is?

Thanks for the help. I promise that I wonÂt do anything stupid  I want proÂs to do the connections. I just want to act as my own General Contractor  and make sure the work is done properly. I also want to make sure I purchase the right components for my job.

Thanks Very Much!

Comments (12)