SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
border411

EXPERTS! - Can you cover junction boxes?

border411
16 years ago

I bought a house about 3 years ago. First time homeowner, and I know I did some things incorrectly. First off, I had 2 boxes in my wall, one above the other which controlled the old ceiling fan. That fan was removed, and a new one installed. The bottom switch was unnecessary, so it was removed, and since the box was not being used, I capped off all of the exposed wire ends and patched over the box. Looking at some other posts I realized that this is probably not appropriate. Is that correct?

Also, I have a 2-gang box in a separate location as there was another light on the wall. Well, that light was removed, and its switch. So now I am only using 1 switch in a two gang box, with the remaining wire from the old switch still in there (wire nutted off--yes it needs to stay there since the electrical was daisy chained to another light switch in another room). My problem is, I havent been able to find a switch cover that covers a 2-gang box but with only 1 hole in it for a single switch off to one side. Can I use a single gang switch plate and just patch over the one side to make the opening smaller for the single plate? Or, I am a forced to use a 2 switch plate with an extra hole in it?(looks horrible!)

Thanks

Comments (7)