SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

covering outlets/junction boxes with tile

plants4
10 years ago

I know my idea is heresy but here goes. I have outlets on both sides of my sink which are there to meet code and have never been used in the several years since the kitchen was "finished" (without its backsplash). The time for installing the backsplash has arrived and my question is whether there is a safe way of covering these outlets with tile? That is, removing the outlets and covering the junction boxes.

I don't want to look at these outlets. I don't want to use them. I don't care about meeting the code that requires them to be there but I do care about safe electrical wiring.

My thought was to put tile over them in some sort of temporary fashion so that the junction boxes could be accessed if needed. I know that unused junction boxes are supposed to have plastic covers. Is the reason to make sure that nobody accidentally opens them up? Are there other reasons? Has anybody ever done this?

I'm so relieved to be getting to this point and so frustrated with the idea that I will have to look at pointless outlets for the rest of my life!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths