SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Any way to make a gray paint look less-blue?

lkplatow
13 years ago

I did a brave but stupid thing and went to the paint store last week, picked a paint color, bought the paint, and came home and painted -- all without ever bringing the paint chip to my house and perseverating over it for months like I typically do. I figured it was for the basement (exercise room and workshop area), I was going with light gray, and so the specific shade wasn't that important.

Well, the shade of gray I picked -- it's definitely gray, but gives an overall impression of light baby blue -- sort of like what you'd put in a little boy's nursery. I haven't done the second coat yet, but I don't think it's going to change anything. I don't feel like dropping another $30 on paint and there's less than a half gallon of this left -- probably enough to do a 2nd coat but not enough that I could really get the paint store to change the tint very much.

I'm wondering if there's a certain color of accessories (think picture frames, shelving, etc.) that I could use to make the gray look gray again, and not light baby blue. Right now the trim is white and I plan on leaving it that way, but I am planning on puting shelving in both rooms and wouldn't mind painting it a fun color like red or yellow. What would be the best color to push the walls away from the baby-blue vibe? Thanks!

Comments (15)