SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
razman_gw

intermittent electrical cable run

razman
10 years ago

how do I find a junction box on a cable run. The feed to my bedroom ceiling lights is intermittent. The house has a prior history of this type of problem.

About six years ago or so, I had a similar issue with a different light circuit. This part of the house was built about 25 years ago. The electrical connection within the various junction boxes are NOT joined with wire nuts. Instead, they are joined with a crimped sleeve.

The crimped sleeves do not present a strong electrical connection. In a prior incident, I traced a faulty circuit to a junction box in the ceiling rafters. Upon inspection, the wires within the junction box burned through the crimped sleeve creating an open. I removed the residue, trimmed back the wires, and then joined them with a quality wire nut. Problem solved.

In the above instance, I was able to crawl around the attic looking around in the vicinity of the ceiling lights for the junction box, In this instance, the room as a cathedral ceiling and the "rafters" are not available from above. Also in this instance, the lights come on and go off whenever they choose to do so.

Now what do I do? I will need to access the junction box... wherever it is, from below, meaning cutting through the ceiling.

I suspect that modern code would suggest that a junction box cannot be hidden in this manner, but the guy did use crimped sleeves for the wiring.

I am open to suggestions as to where the junction box might be and how to find it.

Additional info:

1. there are three lights in the ceiling circuit, which complicates the issue.

2. I bypassed the on/off switch entirely to eliminate it as an issue.

3. The circuit breaker does not appear to be a thermal device.

4. Each ceiling light does have a thermal device within the recessed can, but I cannot think that an overheat on one light would shut down all three.

Thanks for reading.

Comments (15)