SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

How to run cat6 cables from attic down into closet?

paul_ma
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for the help on my other thread. I have a different question, related to the same project.

My overall goal is to get my 2nd floor wired into my ethernet network. That network starts in the basement. I have finally found a way to pull a cat6 to the attic. It isn't really practical to pull a *bunch* of cables that way. So I intend to put an ethernet switch upstairs and go from there, through the attic to all the upstairs locations.

The problem with this is that the attic gets too hot to put put a switch there. So I have decided to put the switch in an upstairs closet. I will have one cat6 coming from the basement to the attic, and then down into that closet. And then I will have more cat6 cables coming from the switch, back up into the attic, and then down to each place where they are needed.

This seems doable. The access to that closet from the attic is very difficult, but I think I can make a path.

My question is: what is an appropriate way to route and contain those cables between floors? I'm thinking of some sort of conduit or plastic pipe. It won't have to run very far - through the closet ceiling, then a right turn, and probably only a foot or two to a reasonably accessible place in the attic. Do I need to be concerned with fire breaks?

Comments (20)